Cold crash outside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinb

Reaction score
I don't have a keezer, but I had an idea for a cold crash. I am bottling tomorrow. It is supposed to be in the 40's overnight tonight. Is it a good idea to put the carboy outside overnight to clear the beer before bottling tomorrow? :confused:

Thanks for the feedback. So here is my plan. I am going to put it in a cooler / swamp cooler overnight outside to get it cool. In the morning, I will bring it in and throw a bunch of ice it to keep it cool.

Just thought I would close the loop on my own thread. This worked great. After about 24 hours on ice at 38° - 40°, the beer was very clear. I would call this experiment a success. :)

In the winter I use my closed in front porch as a walk in refrigerator. Works great for food and cold crashing.

im doing this, this week. i plan to bottle on the 18th. i think the temps should be around 35.

Thanks for reminidng me of my own advice. I plan to try this again on Friday so I can bottle on Sunday.

If its completely outside instead of in a screened-in porch or something, put a garbage can or tote or something over it. Curious raccoons, etc. or other mindless wildlife (like teenagers) might mess your beer up.

If its completely outside instead of in a screened-in porch or something, put a garbage can or tote or something over it. Curious raccoons, etc. or other mindless wildlife (like teenagers) might mess your beer up.

Good idea. However, it could be fun to wake up and find a bunch of drunk critters running around the backyard.
:drunk:

Good idea. However, it could be fun to wake up and find a bunch of drunk critters running around the backyard.
:drunk:

It would be more fun to shoot em. Might take the edge off the pain of loosing a batch.

on a side note...maybe not. the temp is to drop down to 19 this sunday..prolly dont want to freeze it.

Does cold crashing before bottling drop too much yeast out of suspension to get it to carb? I've never done it just because I have enough problems trying to carb beers without cold crashing.

Last time I cold crashed I just set it in a nice spot in the garage that I could rack from when I was ready, that way I didn't have to stir the yeast back up moving it again

Does cold crashing before bottling drop too much yeast out of suspension to get it to carb? I've never done it just because I have enough problems trying to carb beers without cold crashing.

not that ive heard of. most of my friends that cold crash bottle only part of the brew and keg the rest, but they never seem to have any problem with it.

Latest posts

Back