WTF Happened To BTV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrewingTV.com is still live. That's where any Recipes and Short Pours are generally found as well. Episode only at NorthernBrewer.com/BrewingTV.
YouTube, Vimeo and blip/iTunes. Got BTV out there everywhere!

I am the real Chip. BTV.com is back up. Just a hiccup. Thanks for the support for real. I didn't mean to come off like a whiny pants there. I know things are different w/o Jake and Mike, but teams change quarterbacks all the time and rise to the occasion. It's ALL for Brew, not Two for Brew. I think there are plenty of great stories and brew sessions ahead. Just a different way of thinking about presenting them. I or Northern Brewer can't control Mike and Jake's decisions. I can only look ahead. Hoping to tap the huge pool of talented brewers at Northern Brewer and pick their brains about brewing for the most part. That being said - I do love camera work and editing most, but will never shy away from an opportunity to get my ugly mug on the interwebz when possible.

I'm with you Chip. One out of three is way better than none out of three - so get started filling them big shoes!

When I hear Don speak I keep thinking pothead not beer guy, although I do enjoy his videos.

It just wont be the same without Jake and Dawson. Chip is great and all, but there's nothing like the brew days at either of their houses. I especially enjoyed the nerdery.

Hamsterbite said:
Judging by the paraphernalia on his fridge in the videos, your intuition would appear to serve you well.

But I have to ask...who the hell cares?

I don't "care", just making my observation.

When I hear Don speak I keep thinking pothead not beer guy, although I do enjoy his videos.

I sound like a pothead? What does that even mean... dude?! I have never heard that before. Not a beer guy? Jeebus you must have not watched many of my vids, which is fine. I'm obviously a beer guy!

Just because someone supports a cause doesn't mean they embrace that cause for themselves. I have a "Vote NO" sign in my yard (supporting the right of gays to marry) but that doesn't make me gay.

I'll tell you what I am, a homebrewer and beer lover who thinks pot and gay marriage should be legal. So there! :)

cheers,
Don

donosborn said:
I sound like a pothead? What does that even mean... dude?! I have never heard that before. Not a beer guy? Jeebus you must have not watched many of my vids, which is fine. I'm obviously a beer guy!

Just because someone supports a cause doesn't mean they embrace that cause for themselves. I have a "Vote NO" sign in my yard (supporting the right of gays to marry) but that doesn't make me gay.

I'll tell you what I am, a homebrewer and beer lover who thinks pot and gay marriage should be legal. So there! :)

cheers,
Don

I'm sorry. It came out wrong. I shouldn't have said it. I could explain what I was talking about, but I think that would do more harm than good. (just to be clear I did not call you pothead)

I have seen basically all your videos, I'm even subscribed to your YouTube channel. You are a beer guy, I wasn't doubting that.

I also agree that both should be legal.

I'm sorry. It came out wrong. I shouldn't have said it. I could explain what I was talking about, but I think that would do more harm than good. (just to be clear I did not call you pothead)

I have seen basically all your videos, I'm even subscribed to your YouTube channel. You are a beer guy, I wasn't doubting that.

I also agree that both should be legal.

No problem. Thanks for the reply. You must have accidentally pressed a hot button that I didn't even know I had! :)

Good luck brewing.
Don

:off: Sorry.

But, Don rocks.

Don, your batch sparging video is the one I went to when progressing to all grain. I hit it up several times while collecting my equipment, a couple of time before my first brew day and a few more during my first few batches.

again - sorry for the off topic but I needed to say my piece.

Don O! Keep up the good work, and keep fighting the good fight.

Dawson and Keeler where are you? Come on out and say hey. Your citizens miss you!

All for brew...

cheers,
Don

Don, I vote YOU to be the next co-host of BTV. Yes you can!!!!!

I've been following you on youtube for a year and a half, Great stuff!! You also inspired me to switch to No-Sparge brewing, I've have nothing but fantastic results with my take on your technique. I'm also a big supporter of marijuana law reform. As a matter of fact i'm gonna pack my bong and smoke one once i'm done with this post in your honor! hahahaha

I figured I should go read the rest of this thread. It's cool someone noticed fewer BTV shows.

If you get NB's catalogs or emails, you will probably have noticed a change over the last several months. (I do not work for them). It's no coincidence that Keeler and Dawson (and others) have left.

Brewing TV doesn't have the driving motivation behind it (from a company stand point) that it once did. However, as Chip says it will still exist in some form or other. I'm sure he will be bringing in guest hosts.

And however NB continues to change, they still have great products and service. And, the Grand Ave store is only about 1 mile from my house. :)

Brewing TV doesn't have the driving motivation behind it (from a company stand point) that it once did. However, as Chip says it will still exist in some form or other. I'm sure he will be bringing in guest hosts.

That's a little disconcerting to hear. I know from experience it's hard to work on a project if you're getting little to no drive from the organization behind it. It's even harder to do it if you have to fight with the organization to keep it going. I sincerely hope the latter case is not on the horizon for BTV...

I think it is foolish for NB to not support brewing tv. It is a great form of advertisement. I didn't mind that they showed off the gear that they sell. I have shopped at NB because I wanted to support the show. I am also not the only one. It's just like Bobby from NJ and his website. I haven't yet, but I'm planning on buying some of his stuff because he made awesome videos about his product and I believe he knows what he is talking about.

Aren't there any smokin hot brew chicks who wanna show of their 'talents' on the web? Chip! Help us out!! The world needs more brew chicks!! (No offense to any of the talented and capable women brewers)

OK so I've been a BTV fan for about a year. Found it on my Roku and watched a back log of shows in 3 weeks the waited on new material. I looked forward to the new episodes and when I heard about the show possibly ending I was pi$$ed. That said I did enjoy the last two episodes ( your man on the cider show Chip couldn't have been more uncomfortable on camera).Some of the guys in my club made 2nd round of NHC and took pictures of the brew crew at the NB table.
Chip will you have another NHC episode? That "club night" song still sticks in my head!
Cheers!!! Kevin

So long as they don't get that Cider guy to come back I'm cool with whatever so long as they keep coming out. He was knowledgeable and clearly had a bunch of experience but was horrible awkward on camera, no offense if you're out there, but you were clearly uncomfortable. I guess we'll all see what is in store, new episode tomorrow I believe.

This thread has been freakin hilarious to read. Oh btw, Russian River sucks, they use genetically modified malt that has been spliced with hamster genes, the hops are from China, and they keep the brewers locked up in a large concrete basement. Vinnie himself has never actually brewed beer.

Vinnie in 5, 4, 3, 2, ...

I really liked Jake and Michael but my favourite episode was Bad Ass Brewery which had neither of them (get Bryon Adams back on and do a tasting of that burton ale) And do another episode with Kris England.

DirtyHaus said:
They got John Palmer on the BTV episode today, not bad

It's technically a remake of a previous episode. My phone crashed mid way through so I'll check it out later.

Is this new video any different than the one that was one the Northern Brewer website a while back? I suppose I could just skim through it.

I really want to know the actual reason they left the show/NB. Jake was the COO of NB and Mike was the Director of Marketing, both high up positions. They really were the center of the show (although Chip i do like your segments). Maybe leave NB and do a new show with Jake and Mike paid for my sponsors?

I really want to know the actual reason they left the show/NB. Jake was the COO of NB and Mike was the Director of Marketing, both high up positions. They really were the center of the show (although Chip i do like your segments). Maybe leave NB and do a new show with Jake and Mike paid for my sponsors?

You have to respect Chips position on this though. You could always write the company a letter and let em know how it makes you feel. You're a part of their fan base an they should take interest in that.

BTW, I haven't been to Marblehead in ages. I'd love to be at the Landing right now with a Dark and Stormy in my hand. Great town.

Hamsterbite said:
You have to respect Chips position on this though. You could always write the company a letter and let em know how it makes you feel. You're a part of their fan base an they should take interest in that.

BTW, I haven't been to Marblehead in ages. I'd love to be at the Landing right now with a Dark and Stormy in my hand. Great town.

I respect his position for sure. Also how about maddies sail loft? Biggest beers in the area....for cheap

I respect his position for sure. Also how about maddies sail loft? Biggest beers in the area....for cheap

I don't believe I ever made it to that one, but I'm moving back to the area in the spring, so I'll be sure to look it up. I lived in Salem for a while... No shortage of great pubs in that town either!

Hamsterbite said:
I don't believe I ever made it to that one, but I'm moving back to the area in the spring, so I'll be sure to look it up. I lived in Salem for a while... No shortage of great pubs in that town either!

Yeah man ive been up here for 5 years now a lot of good places although work is keeping me from the nightlife.

Since Chip is monitoring this thread, is it ok if I make a suggestion?

If like to see more from Jeremy King in Milwaukee. He is super smart, well respected and has a great personality. His personality seems to come through on camera and that its tough for many folks.

I understand that logistics make it challenging to get folks together regularly from Milwaukee to Minneapolis, but it would make for great viewing.

Jeremy is my best reason to shop at NB.

Back