Pumpkin Ale Recipe? (extract/steeping)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiffMagnum

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows a really good extract recipe for a Pumpkin Ale? Wanna get one going soon so it will be ready for fall and all i see are all grain recipes. I don't really know how to go about converting them to extract.

I can't remember exactly, that was before I started taking notes on beers. I'm pretty sure I just followed the recipe.

Edit: sorry, just realized it doesn't say. Two of the larger cans (30-40oz?) The ones that are about 6" in diameter.

I can't remember exactly, that was before I started taking notes on beers. I'm pretty sure I just followed the recipe.

Edit: sorry, just realized it doesn't say. Two of the larger cans (30-40oz?) The ones that are about 6" in diameter.

Did you just do the normal steeping for your grains? 30 min at 155 degrees.

Recipe calls for 45min @ 158.

ah yeah, sorry, didn't see that bit. Have you ever tried adding stuff to the pumpkin when it bakes? I've seen people sprinkle brown sugar on it to get more carmelization. Might give it a go.

No, but that sounds like a good idea. You just might want to watch it a little more to make sure it doesn't burn the sugar. When I bake sweet potatoes for a stout, I just mush them up and bake them until the top layer burns, but I have a feeling burned brown sugar will taste kinda bad.

No, but that sounds like a good idea. You just might want to watch it a little more to make sure it doesn't burn the sugar. When I bake sweet potatoes for a stout, I just mush them up and bake them until the top layer burns, but I have a feeling burned brown sugar will taste kinda bad.

Yeah, i guess i could sprinkle that on half way through the bake and maybe just keep an eye on it.
Someone in that original thread asked about the Maple syrup coming through in the taste or if it mostly fermented out? I'm also wondering about adding straight up pumpkin pie spice to the boil as well.

Since them I have changed a lot of my brewing methods. I'm sure pumpkin pie spice would be fine, as it's the same stuff essentially.

Now, I try to use only fresh ingredients. So I would use all fresh spices and pumpkin.
Also, I like to add my alternate sugars (maple syrup in this case) about 3 days into fermentation. I find that that helps keep the flavor more.

Since them I have changed a lot of my brewing methods. I'm sure pumpkin pie spice would be fine, as it's the same stuff essentially.

Now, I try to use only fresh ingredients. So I would use all fresh spices and pumpkin.
Also, I like to add my alternate sugars (maple syrup in this case) about 3 days into fermentation. I find that that helps keep the flavor more.

So, basically once "active" fermentation slows?
I just keep hearing everyone say that the fresh pumpkin doesn't really come through anyway and most of the flavor comes from the spices. I would have to think though that the pumpkin would at least add something to the body or mouth feel.

So, basically once "active" fermentation slows?
exactly

And it's true, most of the flavor is the spices. But I do agree that the body is affected. With my sweet potato stout you definitely get something from the sweet potatoes.

I've yet to make this brew with fresh pumpkin, but it will definitely happen in the next few months!

exactly

And it's true, most of the flavor is the spices. But I do agree that the body is affected. With my sweet potato stout you definitely get something from the sweet potatoes.

I've yet to make this brew with fresh pumpkin, but it will definitely happen in the next few months!

Sounds good. Thanks for the link. Also, it doesn't seem like it's TOO expensive to make. At least the grain and hops bill aren't crazy.

No problem. From what I remember the expensive parts were the maple syrup, and the pumpkin because my local grocery was out of the big cans, so I bought like 15 little cans (I did 10gal batches). Good luck with it!

NB has a kit that might fit your needs.

Yeah, i was looking at the kit from AHS, but i've got some loose cash burning a hole in my pocket and i'd rather not have to deposit it, then use a debit card to purchase the kit. To much visibility with the wife.:D Easier just to pop on down to the LHBS and lay that cash down on the barrel head.

Latest posts

Back