Canned Air Dusters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoltsFan704

Reaction score
Anyone know what kind of compressed air is in these things? I was using one today and figured if its pure co2- I could use it to fill a growler/bottle with co2 before bottling from keg.

BK-X-ZOE-F8E412.jpg

It is definitely not pure CO2... Not sure what's in there, but I did see an episode of "Intervention" on which it was huffed repeatedly...

Ha the ones I use definitely aren't! They tend to be something which liquidises at a much lower pressure than CO2 so they can be made in thin-walled aerosol cans rather than the heavy thick-walled cartridges you get for CO2. I can't remember the exact chemical but I certainly wouldn't want to drink it...

I have never seen one filled with CO2, they are almost always something like "diflouroethane" and are plastared with warnings about not inhaling the contents. I think they probably even have some sort of bitterent or something that tastes nasty to keep kids from trying to inhale them to get high.

Canned air is not air, or CO2. The chemical used is actually classified as a refrigerant. tetrafluoroethane

Back