• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Five Gallon Igloo Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbanmyth

Reaction score
I built a couple five gallon mash tuns out of five gallon Igloo coolers, then realized I only needed the one. I'm not looking to make any money here, only trying to break even. Just trying to pay it forward to a fellow brewer who is looking for a good mash tun. It has a brass ball valve and a stainless braided filter.

$45 and I am breaking even. I think it is a fair price.

Bobby_M has a good chart in this thread, but I'll repost it here for simplicity.

mltsizetable.gif

What the chart says is, with 70% efficiency (not hard, even with batch sparging), the maximum starting gravity you'll be able to get with a 5gal batch of beer is ~1.059. That ought to take care of most normal strength beers.

If you mash thinner than 1.25qt/lb, you can squeeze a bit more grain in there and probably get up into the 1.068 mark.

If your brew equipment space is at a premium, a 5gal cooler is pretty small to store.

Thanks, it looks quite nice! My brew partner and I are looking to go to all grain, but we will stick to five gallon batches. We still need a burner and a bigger kettle...tempting...especially since you are pretty local.

The one I built that was just like this one works perfectly. Used it on my first two all grain batches two weeks ago. Only lost a degree and a half over an hour long mash. No problem at all with a stuck sparge.

I cannot cover shipping cost, but if you are willing to pay for shipping, sure, I will ship it to your door.

urbanmyth said:
I cannot cover shipping cost, but if you are willing to pay for shipping, sure, I will ship it to your door.

Shipping to 58701?

Shipping to 58701 looks like it will be around $20.

Shipping to Linden, VA looks to be about a dollar less.

I also have one of these I can sell only missing the braid everything else is great, I just realized that I wanted to make bigger batches so I upgraded to a 15 gallon one if you want this pm me like I said has ball valve attached only need to attach stainless steel braid

Latest posts

Back