Cork sizes or...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justcallmeclassy

Reaction score
First off id like to say I've learned loads and loads from reading this forum but this is my first post so.... hey!

Alrighty Im going to staart home brewing beer soon, hopefully all set by christmas time but im getting ansy aand I've decided to try to go ahead and make some apfelwien because of just how simple it looks and maybe a small batch of mead this week. I have a ton of beer bottles I've been saving for ages for my beer later on, but I've gottten close to 50 to 70 boones farm bottles for free from my womans friend. I think I wanna use those for the mead/still apfelwien but none of them have caps... so where can I get some corks for them and what size or should I do something different?

Thanks in advance

If there is a homebrew/wine supply store near you, take a bottle in and they will find the appropriate sized cork. Be careful corking twist tops, the mouth of the bottle was not made to handle a cork and you can break them ocassionally.

Or just buy some wine bottles they should be pretty cheap. i just got 24 750ml bottles for 26+tax at my lhbs. Just a thought.

Rather than corking twist top bottles, see if your LHBS has the proper size twist caps for your bottles. Not only can you possibly break the bottles with corks, the corks will likely not fit the shape of the necks properly. Twist top bottles have an internally tapered neck. Bottles intended for corking have a straight neck and provide for greater cork contact area and thus a good seal. If you decide to go with corking twist top bottles you can use the shortest corks available and save a little money. Only a relatively narrow band of the corks will be contacting the neck of the bottle anyway. Synthetic corks would probably provide a better seal than natural corks.

I've used Corbel brandy bottles and then cut 1 3/4" synthetic corks in half. There was only about a 3/8" band of contact with the neck of the bottle but it worked. Probably not to be recommended for long term storage.

You could probably also get a bunch of wine bottles from a local restaurant. They typically just throw them out so they probably wouldn't mind saving them for you

Well doesn't matter know lol all those bottles turned out to just be 3. I think she had had to much already when she offered them lmao. Im just going to use beer bottles instead now, but thanks for the input

Back