Bottle Conditioning Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upship

Reaction score
When bottle conditioning my beer should I do so at the same temp as fermentation (single stage) or secondary/lagering temp, or at a different temp?

Thanks, not to keep beating the dead horse, but that go for lagers too? I mean true lagers.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

That is the same whether it is lagers or ales....

What about 85 degrees?Been thinking of moving to a cooler spot downstairs becuase of irregular higher temps.

Ok, how about this one: beers that were at room temp then plunged into the refrigerator (the beer recipient didn't know about the carbing process) and then pulled back out again. Would those bottles resume conditioning when they reached the 70ish degree range? Or would the fridge temps cause the yeast to flocculate and cease carbing?

@jonmohno - I'd guess that 85* might be at the top of or close to above the range your yeast would live in. Though it probably depends on the yeast strain. But I don't have any practical experience to back that up. Just what I've read here really.

I've been doing 62f fermentation for 2 weeks and 62f conditioning for 2 weeks for a few batches now. I have to say, I'm way happier with the taste than when I used to do 70f for 2 weeks on both.. Way less esters and off flavors, way better taste, cleaner fermentation, the list goes on and on.

Im just talking botteling temp.Havent heard much about higher temps.YOu hydrate yeast around 90 degrees, so i think it would move along carbonation fast but dont really know anything about doing this.Im not sending any in the mail in the summer because im paranoid about the heat and jostling around and blowing up or something also.

Ok, how about this one: beers that were at room temp then plunged into the refrigerator (the beer recipient didn't know about the carbing process) and then pulled back out again. Would those bottles resume conditioning when they reached the 70ish degree range? Or would the fridge temps cause the yeast to flocculate and cease carbing?

Yes yeast goes to sleep, yeast wakes up and gets back to work. But You st6op the carb clock during the period it's been in the fridge/

This would be like cold crashing, would just take longer to carb up.Its like putting them to sleep and waking them and they probably are not "early risers"

Latest posts

Back