Dogfish Head Oak-Aged IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5gBrewer

Reaction score
Have any of you guys had this beer?!?! :ban:

Sweet. Hoppy. Oaky. 10% ABV.

I just found it at my local specialty beer store for @ $15 for a 4-pack; it's worth every dollar. It's a tad on the sweet side for my taste, but it grows on you. Dogfish Head... if you're reading... make it a bit dryer.

Funny thing. On the bottle it says, "Share with loved ones. Horde from the non-believers." For the price I may be hording anyway, unless my peeps fork up some cash :drunk:

5gB

Well, I love the 90 Minute IIPA, but I've never seen an Oak-Aged IIPA at the store. Sounds interesting, although I've yet to have an oak-aged beer that was really great.

Found a 4 pack hidden on a shelf when I was reaching down to pick up something else, and considered myself lucky. This was my first experience with an oak-aged beer, and I enjoyed it a lot. At least one of the four bottles in going to be hidden away and tried again later, to see how it ages.
And I absolutely loved the quote on the side of the bottle.
peace

I dont even like the 90 minute becuase its too sweet. the 60 minute is where its at.

Had the 60 - it's good.
Had the 90 - it's better but I can only drink a couple of them at a time (which is probably a good thing).

Found bottles of the 120 in the store last night at $8.99 per bottle (!). Bought two. Gonna have one bottle tonight with a steak for dinner (finace is out of town). Saving the other one for Thursday when we have dinner with her roomie and her boyfriend. He got me into homebrewing so I figured I owed him half of it to try. :)

We'll see how it goes. I am very much looking forward to trying the 120 since IPAs are easily my personal favorite (unless I'm in the mood for a Mexican, lighter, beer) and Dogfish Head really works for me (plus I go to Ocean City, MD atleast once per month and we head up to their brewery every once in a while).

To quote myself from a prior thread:

brewt00l said:
I did grab a bottle of the latest Burton Baton batch. Interesting...not overwhelming on the oak flavor but waaaaay too sweet with an overly thick mouthfeel. 10% but you would never know it from the flavor.

Did the 120 minute last night. Had it with a steak for dinner. Initially tasted alot like the 90 minute but somewhat stronger. It was good but I don't think it was worth $8.99 a bottle instead of 4 bottles of 90 minute for the same cost. About a half hour later, I was done for the night. It hit me really hard. :cross: I've heard the 120 minute described as a strong IPA with a shot of grain alcohol and that seems somewhat accurate. Great taste however.

jeffsix said:
Had the 60 - it's good.
Had the 90 - it's better but I can only drink a couple of them at a time (which is probably a good thing).

Found bottles of the 120 in the store last night at $8.99 per bottle (!). Bought two. Gonna have one bottle tonight with a steak for dinner (finace is out of town). Saving the other one for Thursday when we have dinner with her roomie and her boyfriend. He got me into homebrewing so I figured I owed him half of it to try. :)

We'll see how it goes. I am very much looking forward to trying the 120 since IPAs are easily my personal favorite (unless I'm in the mood for a Mexican, lighter, beer) and Dogfish Head really works for me (plus I go to Ocean City, MD atleast once per month and we head up to their brewery every once in a while).

Well, 21% ABV will put just about anyone down. I remember the first time I had it, I was really paranoid and drank it over the course of an hour, and I was still quite toasty. :drunk: Welcome to the forum BTW! :D

Well, I haven't been able to enjoy a second one yet because I finally got sick. I've gone all season without a cold, flu, sinus or throat infection, and it's finally set in. I am still a true believer that homebrew does prevent winter illness, as I've posted my experiences in other threads on the issue with many supporting arguments. Whatever I've got, had to be a doosey to get a hold on me.

Anyway...

When I'm better, I'm going to pour another one of these beers for a second try. I'm certainly not going to drink'em in the state I'm in now; can't taste or smell ****... seems like a waste of beer.

5gB

Believe it or not, I had some Burton Baton from last year and the wood was too overwhelming in it. I was leary, but I had some of this years at the past beer dinner at the brewpub, and Wow!! It was a totally different beer. So I mentioned it, and they have changed the recipe a bit from last year. I'd say it's a good thing!!:D

Latest posts

Back