roasted hazelnuts in my brown ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justio

Reaction score
Hi. This is my 1st post/thread!
So, I'm making a 10 gal batch of an American Brown Ale, but w/ hazelnut. I wanted to try fresh roasted hazelnuts in the boil vs an extract.

Anyone out there used roasted hazelnuts in a brew before and have an opinion on how much I should use?

I've done a roasted pecan nut brown ale. (5 gal batch)

It was my first try and the pecan taste didn't come through. Not enough used I guess.

Here is what I did, it may help you decide what to do.

I roasted .50 lb of pecans for :20 at 300F in my oven. Crushed them up a bit and combined them in a mason jar with 1 cup of boiled H2O and 1.5 cups of Jim Beam. Let them sit at room temp for 2-3 weeks giving them a good shake every so often. When I racked my beer to secondary I strained the pecan mixture and added it to the secondary and let it sit for 2 weeks.

The beer was great but very very little if any pecan flavor. Next time I will use at least 1.5 to 2 lbs of pecans.

There was recently a "can you brew it" on the brewing network that used some roasted nuts in it. It was their 9/26/10 show where they try to cloan Holgate Nut Brown. Might be worth a listen.

Back