Installing Valves,Bulkheads,thermometers ect..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InfernoBrews

Reaction score
Talking to people and hearing all the differences i was bored so i figured i post to see what everyone else has done..

Question. How high from the bottom and or where have you placed your accessories (ball valves,sight tubes,thermometers) on your keggles?

Do you prefer weld less or fixed (welded) fittings? Problems with either?

I have talked to many people and everyone seems to do thiers a bit different, so i was just trying to figure out the most popular for fun..

I use weldless since it's cheaper and I don't know anything about welding. Mine have all worked great. I usually drill my hole for my drainage valve about 2-3" above the first lip on the bottom of the keg. Sight glasses and thermometers are pretty much a personal preference. Wherever you feel it'll be easier to use.

I have all 3 of mine mounted below the first ring, mainly so i can be sure my thermometer is never above the liquid level when i'm doing 5 gallon batches.

It may not look as crisp and clean as having the thermometer mounted above the valve, but more useful for my needs.

Back