Could someone suggest....I'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm just embarking on my new hobby as a homebrewer...my first batch (an ale) is fermenting as I type this :)

But, my boyfriend is anxious for me to try make him a lager. Does anyone have any yummy but fairly simple lager recipes? I've found tons of recipes online, but I'd like the human element here to tell me their faves.

Thanks!
:mug:

Do you have lager capability? What I mean to say is do you have a place for cold storage for at least 2 months? If not try the search button for light American ales, this board has tons of recipes in every style. And I'd like to go farther by saying that this world needs more women like you, and have fun with it.

Not to discourag or anything but I would make sure you have the neccesary setup before you start a lager. Ive made 6 batches so far and have yet to attemp a lager because I dont have a way to keep fermentation temps between 50-60 degrees. If you have that then by all means go ahead. Also tell your BF that the lager must not only ferment but also you must actually "cold lager" the beer at temps around 40 for at least a month or so.

I would stick with ales for a couple of batches while you make your strategy for keeping those temps down. Does he like wheat ales?

Oh and yea we definitly need more women like you in our world!!

Try making him a California Common if ya dont have a spare frdige you can set aside for lagers, it's probably as close to a true lager as you are going to get if all you can handle temp wise is a ale

Keep your eyes on the classifieds for an old freezer or fridge that is big enough to hold your fermenter. As long as it works, cheap is good, free is even better. Then you'll need an external temperature controller (usually around $50 online) for your fridge/freezer and you're good to go. A lot of folks on this forum use an ice & t-shirt setup for their lager, but IMHO that's a lot of screwin' around, changing ice every day for 2-6 months.

When you do get your lagering setup, whatever that might be, some good ones (and some of my favorites) are:

Bock (or Dopplebock)
Octberfest (Marzen)
Pilsener- but make a good one, not a BMC clone

Lagers are a little harder to make and take a lot more patience, but are well worth the wait. Oh and I agree, we need more women like you in this world!

While you are looking for lagering fridges, or winter to arrive, you can try bewing some lager recipes with a netral ale yeast like Nottingham, Maruri, coopers or muntons. Try to keep the temps below 70F. They won't necessarily be as clean as a lger yeast but will be fairly clean tasting and "lager" like.

Are you brewing from kits or are you buying extract and hops etc?

all of the above.

also though, check out www.WilliamsBrewing.com california Pilsner.

While a Pilsner is a Lager, this kit is designed to be brewed NON lager.

and still be delicious.

I added 1oz of Cascades as a dry hop to the recipe.

I'm driking one very green right now, only been in the bottle for a week, and DAMN it's good!!!!!!

I did EVERYTHING between 65-68F, which is definately NON-Lagering temp.

Try 6lbs (2 liters) of light or pale extract
1 oz saaz (or tettnager or Hallertauer) for 60 minutes
1 oz of same for last 15
1 oz of same for last 5

Nottingham Yeast

og 1.047
est FG: 1.008 - 1.011 (Nottingham should ferment this down to 1.008)
15 - 20 IBU
Est a/v: 4.5 - 5.1 %

Add some more extract to boost alc. if needed or even 2 lbs of corn sugar. Though Extract will taste best!

I'm lucking out as we are having to replace our old fridge. The door won't close right unless you kick the bottom. With a 4 year old in the house, the door doesn't get closed like it should. We're getting a used one from a friend with a working door. Guess where the old one is going???? That's right! To my Beer Room! Now I can seriously look to largers again.

I agree with everyone here, we could use more women brewers around here. We're pretty much a hairy male crowd! :D
Although I consider myself very lucky. My wife, Tracey is the big beer drinker in our family, so when I do beers I get the "Go for it baby!" from her! Life is Good. :p

gonzoflick said:
Not to discourag or anything but I would make sure you have the neccesary setup before you start a lager. Ive made 6 batches so far and have yet to attemp a lager because I dont have a way to keep fermentation temps between 50-60 degrees. If you have that then by all means go ahead. Also tell your BF that the lager must not only ferment but also you must actually "cold lager" the beer at temps around 40 for at least a month or so.

I would stick with ales for a couple of batches while you make your strategy for keeping those temps down. Does he like wheat ales?

Oh and yea we definitly need more women like you in our world!!

Hah, yeah, I love beer, and I just finished my degree in Biology, so it just seems natural for me to take it this one step further.

I know I'll have to get it cool, but that doesn't scare me too much....I know I can figure it out when it comes down to it.

Of course, my BF's impatience might change his mind....we'll see when he gets back in town ;)

ablrbrau said:
Keep your eyes on the classifieds for an old freezer or fridge that is big enough to hold your fermenter. As long as it works, cheap is good, free is even better. Then you'll need an external temperature controller (usually around $50 online) for your fridge/freezer and you're good to go. A lot of folks on this forum use an ice & t-shirt setup for their lager, but IMHO that's a lot of screwin' around, changing ice every day for 2-6 months.

When you do get your lagering setup, whatever that might be, some good ones (and some of my favorites) are:

Bock (or Dopplebock)
Octberfest (Marzen)
Pilsener- but make a good one, not a BMC clone

Lagers are a little harder to make and take a lot more patience, but are well worth the wait. Oh and I agree, we need more women like you in this world!

I'm starting to think I might get the set up going to try a lager, and buy some more brewing stuffs and keep doing ales while waiting for the lager to be "born". The ice and t-shirt thing sounds more than my lazy butt wants to try to do. Will definitely get a fridge in the garage :)

andylegate said:
I'm lucking out as we are having to replace our old fridge. The door won't close right unless you kick the bottom. With a 4 year old in the house, the door doesn't get closed like it should. We're getting a used one from a friend with a working door. Guess where the old one is going???? That's right! To my Beer Room! Now I can seriously look to largers again.

I agree with everyone here, we could use more women brewers around here. We're pretty much a hairy male crowd! :D
Although I consider myself very lucky. My wife, Tracey is the big beer drinker in our family, so when I do beers I get the "Go for it baby!" from her! Life is Good. :p

Yeah, I'd say punch for punch (not literally of course :p) me and the bf are equal beer drinkers....so he's excited about my new hobby, heh.

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
While you are looking for lagering fridges, or winter to arrive, you can try bewing some lager recipes with a netral ale yeast like Nottingham, Maruri, coopers or muntons. Try to keep the temps below 70F. They won't necessarily be as clean as a lger yeast but will be fairly clean tasting and "lager" like.

Are you brewing from kits or are you buying extract and hops etc?

I'm buying all my own stuff. I don't like to do "kit" things in any of my hobbies.

Back