Killing yeast, will it help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurel

Reaction score
I'm planning on having a group of people over in a few weeks with digestive tracts unaccustomed to live yeast. Now we all know the result of such digestive tracts combined with homebrew. If I were to kill the yeast somehow, would the dead yeast wreak the same havoc on my home's atmosphere as live yeast? If no, how do I go about killing the yeast? Campden tablets? If so, how many? Thanks. :mug:

Adding Sulfites will kill the yeast - not sure how much though. I know they do that for wine.

What in the world do you mean by "would the dead yeast wreak the same havoc on my home's atmosphere as live yeast?"

The problem isn't just the yeast. Killing the yeast will help and one crushed campden table per gallon should do the trick. But, unfermentable sugars are broken down by gut bacteria as well.

I should mention that Adding Campden will likely not kill all of the yeast.

Pasteurization is probably the way to go....

I think he's referring to the mating call of the barking spider. Mexican jet propulsion. The one gun salute.

Yeast-induced gaseous discharge from the rectum.

So just add 5 campden tablets and it should help? I want to avoid affecting the flavor of the beer if at all possible. I don't think that adding sulfites is a good plan for me, I'm sensitive to them and tend to get migraines when I drink certain reds.

Interesting. Well then. I hope that I don't have an adverse reaction. Of course if I do, then HWMBO will be pleased, a whole keg of apfelwein to himself!

Back