Huge Mead Competition - Meadllennium in January

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuli

Reaction score
Central Florida Home Brewers presents:

Meadllennium XII, one of the nation's premier, MEAD-ONLY competitions.

We are the longest-running MEAD-ONLY competition in the world. We began in 1998 and have been raising the bar for mead competitions ever since. Last year, we awarded more mead medals than any other MEAD-ONLY competition!

Meadllennium XII will be held on January 24, 2009 Entries are accepted January 1st to January 19th.

We have very high level judges including many master and grand master judges. Also all judging is done with lead crystal tasting glasses to give your mead the best presentation.

Link to competition information:
http://www.cfhb.org/mead

Has anyone here been to this competition? Is it worth the airfare?

This announcement is similar to a news release and is posted on all the major wine and mead forums each year, as evidenced by the fact this is post #1 for this poster.

I believe the local Florida clubs are usually the big winners in this competition. People ship entries but I don't know that too many people make the trip. I've been watching the results for 4-5 years and that's the way it seems to me.

I see! Maybe I should start a mail-in competition and get paid for sampling everyone's mead!

Until recently it was the largest mead competition in the US I believe. Last check it was the second biggest. The local guys that go have fun and it is a big social event but I haven't been myself. As for locals winning - they have a boatload of meadmakers and the club does a lot to promote mead among the brewers so they have the lion's share of entries and therefore winners...

Disclaimer: I have been a member of the club in the past so I may be biased...

Entries due by 1/19/09

to address some of the questions:

I fairly new to home brewing / mead making, hence my first post on the forum.

We do have a lot of great mead makers in Florida, so you will be competing with some of the best in the country and our judges are very experienced so you will get great feedback.

We also promoted the competition internationally this year, so we are hoping for some more international entries.

The competition is BJCP sanctioned, all entries are de-identified for judging, so everyone has the same odds to be a medal winner.

Our club is a great group of people. I just joined this year and have never belonged to a more welcoming and enjoyable social organization. Please attend if you are interested in helping judge or just come to socialize with other great mead makers. You will have a great time.

Back