A good recipe for a 1st time AG brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepmarine71

Reaction score
I'm making the leap to AG, and there are just so many recipes out there, I don't know what to brew first, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Professor Frink said:
Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale. It's in the recipe section under pale ale. It's the perfect first AG beer.

That is if you like pale ales. You need to make a style of beer you like, otherwise what's the point?;)

I'm planning my first all-grain in a couple of weeks. I was thinking of using the recipe for Oak Butt Brown Ale in the "Your First All-Grain Batch" chapter in John Palmer's book. I figure that by following his directions step by step and keeping the recipe variables constant, I'll be better able to concentrate on techniques and evaluate how I'm doing. Has any one tried it?

Professor Frink said:
Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale. It's in the recipe section under pale ale. It's the perfect first AG beer.

I've heard some great things about this recipe. More than likely, it'll be my first AG as well.

Did my first AG today. I'm very happy, got 85% efficiency.

I've been playing with my own recipies and decided to try an IPA as my first AG. Here's what I came up with...

Brewer: Hagen
Beer: Clearly you've never been to Singapore
Style: India Pale Ale
Type: All grain Size: 5.5 gallons
Color: 11 HCU (~8 SRM)
Bitterness: 62 IBU
OG: 1.068 FG: 1.012
Alcohol: 7.3% v/v (5.7% w/w)
Grain: 11 lb. American 2-row
8 oz. American crystal 20L
8 oz. American crystal 60L
Mash: 85% efficiency
Boil: minutes SG 1.054 7 gallons
Hops: 1 oz. Galena (11.5% AA, 60 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (6.3% AA, 30 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (6.3% AA, 10 min.)
1 oz. Cascade (aroma)

Mash temp: 154*F
Mash time: 75 minutes
Yeast: Safale SA-05

Originally, I missed my mash temp, was 2*F low. I had the forethought to start off thick in the mash, and had the room to bring up the temp to my target. I started at 1.25 qt/lb and after correction ended up at 1.33qt/lb.

I think an Ordinary British Bitter is a good starting beer. First of all, they are pretty easy to make. Second, their taste is somewhat of a common ground for homebrewers and those in the BMC crowd.

+1 on Ed's Haus Pale ale. If you like Irish Red I have one in my recipe pull down under my avatar that is as simple as AG gets. Also Superiorbrew has a great Irish Red.

Latest posts

Back