Phase 2 brewery construction photo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kladue

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
it looks good so far, but isn't it going to get really hot in there? I see you have windows and I would guess a door,is that going to be enough? Is sheetrock the stuff you use in bathrooms and kitchens? I was also thinking about the moisture you going to be generating.

Looks really nice. And I see you're in Turner, Oregon. I would think if it got too hot in there you could just open a window and it would feel pretty nice. And the opposite in the winter as the brewing would warm up the brewhouse nicely.

As ChrisS pointed out: Are you going to use greenboard (or any moisture resistant gypsum board) in there? I don't think it would be a critical issue, but hell if you've got the kind of cash to build a structure solely for brewing why not go all out?:p

I'm feelin' Diamond Plate. Everywhere.:rockin:

Plan is to skirt and vent boil kettle burner, vent boiler burner, and install a hood and exhaust fan for boil kettle vapor. Overall design goal is to make an automated system that addresses most of the problems in homebrewing systems. Do not expect vapor problems with an exhaust hood and fan system, direct venting of the burners will reduce heat load to level manageable by airconditioning system.

Drool. Can you send one of those down to Austin.....:D

How much power are you running to the brew hut?

I have been following your build with great interest Kladue. I am in the process of getting a large scale brutus one clone together. I am particular interested in going w/ auto ignition for the burners in lieu of a pilot. However, there are so many details and nuances to the auto ignition! I have been following your thread on the Asco valves which has a lot of great info.

Your setup looks awesome!

kladue,

Nice set up. What kind of flow transmitters did you use? Are you able to adjust the flow rates of the pumps, if so, how?

I'm working on plans for a fully automated, skid-mounted brewing system. One of the few remaining issues to solve is how to control the RPMs on the pump to control the flow rate. I have an I/O DAQ card that will control things such as solenoid valves, burners, and the pumps. In looking at your system, it looks like you have flow controls and as such may have control over your pump RPM.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Jeff

Flow transmitters are Malema M-10000 series .13-1.3 GPM flow with 4-20 Ma output, valves are Belimo B-208/9 with 2-10VDC proportional control actuators. Pumps are on/off control with flow control by valve position controlled by 0-10VDC output from opto 22 hardware. Here is a schematic of the brewery and picture of the plc panel http://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.ladue/Phase2Brewery/photo#5183956992201630530.
Have tested scaled version of screw conveyor, waiting for parts to finish full size unit.

K, Are you excited to test that bad boy out on a first batch? Your rig has come a long way. That really is a piece of art. I like it. In fact, I like it a lot. S.

Still have a bit more system fabrication to go then finish software and begin calibration and testing. Also have to finish plumbing, electrical, and interior finish of brew shed before first batch on new system. Still have the old steam rims system to use if i had time and energy to brew.

That's looking really awesome Kevin. You fabricate some nice stuff and look to be putting together a really top notch brewery. :mug:

kladue said:
Still have a bit more system fabrication to go then finish software and begin calibration and testing. Also have to finish plumbing, electrical, and interior finish of brew shed before first batch on new system. Still have the old steam rims system to use if i had time and energy to brew.
Yah, I hear ya. You have to admit though, as far, as completion seems away, the closer you get, the more the bug seems to bit. Well I will sit back and wait for the next phase. Your system is quit awesome. When it is finished, you are going to have to have someone take the proud father picture and post it. Well got to go to work, have a great day K. S.

Here is a picture of the ignition module, solenoid shutoff valve, Mass flow contoller, and pilot fuel needle valve http://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.ladue/IgnitionModuleAndMassflowController
Here are pictures of the pilots and burners in operation http://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.ladue/PilotLights
The Honeywell S87D ignition module uses a flame rod to sense flame presence, if flame goes out module shuts off solenoid in 6 seconds.

100_5017.JPG

Should be able to finish mash tun and go for the wet testing today and possibly a test run with operating software. One item was apparent during burner testing last week, radiant heat from underside of boil kettle burner needs to be sheilded to prevent hot spot on floor. The combustion venting system worked well as there was no noticible combustion smell inside brew shed during boiler and boil kettle testing. This system is kind of like frankenstein, built out of many used parts by a mad scientist and brought to life with electricity. I did not realise how many hours it would take to put this thing together as it is not done yet, I still have to build the glycol cooling system then finish the permanent power, plumbing connections and inside walls of brew shed.

I am retired and was a tool and diemaker for 30 years and worked with engineers every day to build new automated machines for a production line and to modify and maintain the existing ones so I know you must be retired if you are living in Oregon but still needed a project so you could create something of your own. From the experiences I had I can see that you have many challenges ahead and will have to deal with each one of them as they surface. It's a lot of work to do and can and does cost a fortune. Please do not get discouraged as I know this can happen but just keep at it. I also know it takes a lot of time but the self satisfaction will come.

Wish I was retired but that is about 7 years away, at least it is only 40 hour weeks these days and commuting distance from home, down side is trying to run 3 high tech I&C installation projects in hillsboro Or, and a 450 Mw turbine generator instrument install in springerville AZ.

I was jealous, but now that you have to come to AZ during monsoon season I feel for you. Every time I step outside a new plan springs to mind for cooling wort below 85*. Oh, I really like that grain elevator. Are you using an electric actuator motor to turn it? couldn't really tell in the picture.

Have enjoyed 4 summers in chandler rebuilding and building Intel facilities, not a lot of fun working outdoors when it is 118 degrees, even less when you have to put on a saranex chemical suit above 100 degrees F. Looks I will be back to springerville in october for a week or two to get a couple people started on a steam turbine job then I hope to head back to oregon again. Here are a few shots of the system taken after the wet testing today. http://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.ladue/WetTestProgressPhotoS Still have to make false bottom for mash tun, screened pickup tube for boil kettle, vapor hood and exhaust system for boil kettle, and put together the water chillers, pump and 50L keg for the glycol cooling system.

That is yeast residue left on inside of keg when it was opened, it will come off during caustic cleaning after internal parts are finished. Outside gets 1" of insulation and 20Gauge SS skin with latches to faciltate removal of jacket for cleaning.

Back