3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled last night. I brewed this on the 2nd of Jan. When I racked it on the 8th I thought the Ale tasted citrusy, bready, and a little cloving. I saved 8 oz when I bottled and chilled it to drink. I now see after a little conditioning and the dry hopping, the flavor profile has really developed. The aroma from the two oz of Citra leaf as a dry hop is pleasantly fruity.On the front of the pallet its a little sweet and fruity with a note of citrus. On the back end it's just a little harshly bitter. I suspect with bottle conditioning that will mellow as will the aroma to find a balance yet to be experienced. I finished with seven and a half gallons from both batchs. I bottled a couple cases of 3FZD and then the remainder I mixed with the brown ale from the sparge and DME using S-05 with a gallon of another gallon bottle conditioned non carbed ale I had awaiting and bottled up a similar creation but It's even a little more bitter due to some creative licence with other, early hop additions. The Brown one I plan to bottle condition for at least two months.
Judging from my description of the Zombie is this on target for the final flavor profile?
I have never tasted the real thing.
So far it appears it will be a nice winter APA. This was my first attempt at single hop styles.

Brewed this today. Did a full boil and ended up with a tad over 5 gallons. OG came out at 1.058. Not sure why it was so low. Oh well. Added the extra 1/4 oz of citra left from the FWH at flame out for kicks. The kitchen smelled heavenly. This is also my first attempt at a single hop brew. I hope it tastes as well as advertised. This will also be my first time cold crashing and using gelatin. What is the recommended amount of gelatin for a 5 gallon batch, and when do you put it in?

Edit: Oh yeah, it was the extract/partial mash version.

Not sure about the gelatin but you won't be disappointed with this beer. I have only 4 gallons left from a 10 gallon batch.

Wow!
Had 8 bottles today "so far" and it is a screaming sucess!
One of my best brews to date. This one will be in my rotating for sure.
I think if my mash PH had been perfect this may have been my best brew ever.
Curious thing about this beer is the bottle krousen, a tilt of the bottle and it all floated to the bottom. The film layer in the neck of the bottle had me worried at first. The taste is fruity and has a great citrus finish. The head is a light toast color with moderate head retention. For a 6.6% beer it is very fresh and light. But grab your socks it will put you in the tank if you drink too many too fast. I have not yet reached the Zombie state.:)

Just started brewing this today! I love this beer from fff and hope this is close! I will update in a few weeks.

I'm kegging my two batches tonight. I hate to admit, but the fermenter dry hopped with Mosaic is my favorite. The one dry hopped with Citra smells great, but the Mosaic beer smells incredible.

I'll have a much better idea in about 1 week

I'm brewing this Saturday, I'll let ya know how it goes.

If anyone has had this beer, they know why I am asking for input. It has moved up to the top of the APA rankings on beeradvocate for good reason. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26/64228

Does anyone have any information other than it is a Single Hop (Citra), 6.2%, 50 ibu APA?

***It seems we are getting somewhere on this clone. After a couple revisions, here is the updated Recipe--(I removed the original to avoid any confusion):

Batch Size: 6 gallons
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.065
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Bitterness: 65.9 IBU
Mash Temp: 154 F
60 min boil

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.75 lb 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.7 %
1.13 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 7.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3.5 %
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 17.0 IBU***
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 21.1 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 15.4 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
SafAle English Ale (S-04) **
London ESB 1968**

**For the first batch with this recipe, I split it and used the 2 different yeasts (S-04 and S-05). The S-04 was closer to the real Zombie Dust. The S-04 is fruitier, and had a bit higher FG (1.018 ) that the S-05 (dryer, more bitterness). I have also used 1968 and it was similar to the S-04, perhaps a bit fruitier and it was sweeter/higher FG. If using it I would recommend mashing a few degrees cooler. That said, I would recommend S-04 or 1968 at this time.

Here is the extract conversion for anyone interested:

6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 70.6 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 12.5 IBU***
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)
or
Wyeast 1968

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Color: 9.0 SRM
Bitterness: 65.2 IBU

Steep the grains at in the mid 150s for 45-60 minutes. It is assuming a 5 gallon batch, 3 gallon - 60 minute boil, and adding the extract at the beginning. If you can do a full boil you probably wouldn't need the extra oz at 60minutes.

***The FWH ibus were calculated based on a 20 min boil to more accurately calculate the perceived bitterness.

going to brew this next week. I am an all grain brewer for years, but am short on time and wanted to try to do this with PM extract (which I haven't done for several years and only twice then!). Any suggestions on whether to use DME or LME? I was going to use LME cause I hate the dust of DME that gets on everything. It should be fresh from Brewmasters Warehouse...I was going to also use Magnum for the FWH, which I was going to drop in towards the end of steeping.

bguzz said:
going to brew this next week. I am an all grain brewer for years, but am short on time and wanted to try to do this with PM extract (which I haven't done for several years and only twice then!). Any suggestions on whether to use DME or LME? I was going to use LME cause I hate the dust of DME that gets on everything. It should be fresh from Brewmasters Warehouse...I was going to also use Magnum for the FWH, which I was going to drop in towards the end of steeping.

DME has more fermentable sugar, so would require less extract.

Just tapped mine on Tuesday and it's a fantastic beer. We don't have 3 floydes in my neck of the woods but I was able to get some on a beer trade and mine taste almost identical, just fresher. Great recipe and thanks for sharing. I'm also going to try and brew this on Friday if my LHBS has enough Citra.

**EDIT** My LHBS has the citra in, looks like this is going to be made tomorrow!!!

I just tried Zombie Dust on tap for the first time yesterday. Very happy I was able to find it in Madison, WI. AMAZING beer. Definitely my new "desert island" beer. I was stunned. I'm going to be happy if my batch comes anywhere close to it. It's been in the primary for 1 week.

Going to ramp up the temp 5 degrees to 68 or so for another week and then dry hop when it's ready. I've never dry hopped in the primary before, but I'm thinking about it this time.

I just tried Zombie Dust on tap for the first time yesterday. Very happy I was able to find it in Madison, WI. AMAZING beer. Definitely my new "desert island" beer. I was stunned. I'm going to be happy if my batch comes anywhere close to it. It's been in the primary for 1 week.

Going to ramp up the temp 5 degrees to 68 or so for another week and then dry hop when it's ready. I've never dry hopped in the primary before, but I'm thinking about it this time.

I've been noticing zombie dust popping up at a few bars around Milwaukee lately.

I've been noticing zombie dust popping up at a few bars around Milwaukee lately.

I know it's at Benno's Pub. I told my dad about it and he'll be dropping by on Monday after work. He wanted to get a pint yesterday around noon, but they have some pretty strange hours. Open at 4 I guess.

I know it's at Benno's Pub. I told my dad about it and he'll be dropping by on Monday after work. He wanted to get a pint yesterday around noon, but they have some pretty strange hours. Open at 4 I guess.

They also have it down at potowatomi.

This is quite the thread...love me some ZD. It's so scrumpdiddlyumptious.

Has anyone tried a 3 gallon BIAB version of this? I've recently made the jump from extract to BIAB and would like to continue on that route. Can't go full-tilt all grain...no room in my cramped city digs.

Thanks!

Brewed my 2nd batch of this on 12/29/12. My LHBS was out of 2-Row (ridiculous, I know), so I chose to use Golden Promise as my base malt. My OG was 1.067 and my FG was 1.016. Fermented w/US-04 at around 64-degrees...turned out fantastic, and in the last week has really cleared up well in the keg. Now I'm getting the itch to brew this recipe, but with different hop varieties...maybe Centennial...Amarillo??

I just received a pound of citra and ordered a 20 gallon Boilermaker. Guess what I'm doing next week!

Is the first recipe listed the closest so far?

I just received a pound of citra and ordered a 20 gallon Boilermaker. Guess what I'm doing next week!

Is the first recipe listed the closest so far?

Yes. From what I've read, the recipe on the first page has been continually updated. Doing a 10 gallon batch?

I've had my partial mash batch on the dry hops for 3 days. I'm not kegging, so I'm still a ways away. I just acquired a few bottles of ZD via a trade. It's going to be very hard to save a bottle to taste back to back when it's ready!

Ordered 1lb whole leaf citra from labelpeelers for about $23 shipped. Not bad. Gonna pick up the rest of the ingredients from brewmasters and brew this next weekend. Only changes i'm making from the extract version is 1/4lb of melanoidin and crystal 60 to lighten it up and only 5lbs of dme to get the estimated abv at 5% so it can be a nice spring/summer beer. IBU's are estimated at 116 but I usually do about a 4-4.5 gallon boil and top off with water which cuts down on the IBU's a lot. Hops are whole leaf as well which will lower it a little.

Sub...

Can't get this in Texas and haven't been able to trade for it yet.

Hopefully I will brew this up in the coming weeks.

Thanks for the efforts.

For all of you who have done the partial mash recipe, what is the ratio of water to grains for the mash? Sparge? I brewed this 3 weeks ago and it was my first partial mash. I used the partial mash method found here:

http://www.sanfranciscobrewcraft.com/articles.asp?id=133

It says this: PARTIAL MASH METHOD #1

This method is specific to recipes with 2.5 lbs of grains or less.

Place grains in grain bag.
Put into pot with 3 gallons of water and turn on the heat, raise the temperature to between 151° and 158° depending on the recipe.
Turn off the heat and place a lid on the pot. Place a heavy towel over the pot and let stand for 40 minutes. DO NOT CHECK CONTENTS FOR FULL 40 MINUTES to avoid releasing heat from the pot.
After 40 minutes, open pot and slowly dip grain bag in and out of pot 7 to 10 times slowly. Throw grains away.

I raised the temp to about 158 and then covered it with the lid and a towel and cut the heat for 40 minutes. After throwing the grains away, I topped up to 6.5 gallons of water and proceeded with my boil. I'm guessing this isn't standard procedure, and my SG came up a bit low at 1.058. What should I be doing differently? I haven't yet tasted this batch as it's not ready, but I'm going to brew another 5 gallons next weekend.

For all of you who have done the partial mash recipe, what is the ratio of water to grains for the mash? Sparge? I brewed this 3 weeks ago and it was my first partial mash. I used the partial mash method found here:

Put into pot with 3 gallons of water and turn on the heat, raise the temperature to between 151° and 158° depending on the recipe.
Turn off the heat and place a lid on the pot. Place a heavy towel over the pot and let stand for 40 minutes. DO NOT CHECK CONTENTS FOR FULL 40 MINUTES to avoid releasing heat from the pot.
After 40 minutes, open pot and slowly dip grain bag in and out of pot 7 to 10 times slowly. Throw grains away.

I raised the temp to about 158 and then covered it with the lid and a towel and cut the heat for 40 minutes. After throwing the grains away, I topped up to 6.5 gallons of water and proceeded with my boil. I'm guessing this isn't standard procedure, and my SG came up a bit low at 1.058. What should I be doing differently? I haven't yet tasted this batch as it's not ready, but I'm going to brew another 5 gallons next weekend.

what was your post boil volume?

When I used to do partial mash I would rest the grains on a strainer above the kettle then sparge them with some 170 to 180 degree water. To rinse the rest of the sugars out of the grain.

When I used to do partial mash I would rest the grains on a strainer above the kettle then sparge them with some 170 to 180 degree water. To rinse the rest of the sugars out of the grain.

I think I'll keep the same method - 3 gallons water mash on the stove wrapped in a towel. But instead of dunking the grains 10 times, I'll do this and rinse with a strainer (maybe 1 gallon for the 2.5 lbs grain?). From there, top up to 6.5 gal and do the boil. Will this work well enough? Should I think about adding maybe a half pound of sugar to the end of the boil to boost to OG?

I think I'll keep the same method - 3 gallons water mash on the stove wrapped in a towel. But instead of dunking the grains 10 times, I'll do this and rinse with a strainer (maybe 1 gallon for the 2.5 lbs grain?). From there, top up to 6.5 gal and do the boil. Will this work well enough? Should I think about adding maybe a half pound of sugar to the end of the boil to boost to OG?

Adding sugar to Big Heavy Stouts works good for me due to my inclination of making half and half with Lager.
IMHO I would not put non fermentables in this brew, the specialty grains are difficult enough to convert so my 2 cents say no sugar. If you are trying to hit the OG use some DME. This beer is just too good to take the chance of a cider taste distracting from the magic.

You will still make a good Ale but not the one most people are probably producing.

Good Luck and enjoy the TFZD

Thanks for the advice. I'll just stick to the mash method I described I guess and forget about any sugar. Was just wondering if I needed to add something to boost my og, maybe even a bit more DME. My last batch came in at 1.058, as previously mentioned. Going to cold crash it on Monday and bottle it on Wednesday. It finished at 1.018, so right around 5.25%. A bit low, but I won't care if it's a citra-flavor bomb. I used a starter of 1968 last time. I'm thinking about switching up the yeast this time and using the S-04. I've never used dry yeast before. Is one pack enough to do the job? I've read in this thread about people pitching two packs and not re-hydrating (with good results).

S-04 worked well for me. This recipe alone must be responsible for major depletion of these wonderful Citra hops. Can't think of a better use.

Primary 1 American Pale Ale - 1st run - 3 gal - OG 1.06
Primary 2 Special Stout -2nd run plus DME, Steeped Grains - 4.5 gal - OG 1.07

Thanks for the advice. I'll just stick to the mash method I described I guess and forget about any sugar. Was just wondering if I needed to add something to boost my og, maybe even a bit more DME. My last batch came in at 1.058, as previously mentioned. Going to cold crash it on Monday and bottle it on Wednesday. It finished at 1.018, so right around 5.25%. A bit low, but I won't care if it's a citra-flavor bomb. I used a starter of 1968 last time. I'm thinking about switching up the yeast this time and using the S-04. I've never used dry yeast before. Is one pack enough to do the job? I've read in this thread about people pitching two packs and not re-hydrating (with good results).

Yeah I would do your mash for about an hour then rinse the grains. I usually use 1.25 qts if water per pound of grain when I mash. Then usually about the same amount for my sparge.

Yeah I would do your mash for about an hour then rinse the grains. I usually use 1.25 qts if water per pound of grain when I mash. Then usually about the same amount for my sparge.

Thanks, will do! Looks like it's about 3/4 gallon for both mash and sparge. Also, should I mash out for this?

Thanks, will do! Looks like it's about 3/4 gallon for both mash and sparge. Also, should I mash out for this?

No you won't need to mashout. That is more of a all grain thing to help prevent getting stuck sparges when you run your wort out of your mash tun.

No you won't need to mashout. That is more of a all grain thing to help prevent getting stuck sparges when you run your wort out of your mash tun.

Huh. I thought mashing out was slowly raising the temp to 168 and has to do with enzymatic degradation. Either way, I don't think I'll do it! Bottling my first batch tonight. Brewing up the second one on Sunday!

I brewed the extract version this past Saturday and I just realized that I steeped my grains in the entire 3 gallons of water I was using for my boil... ****e.

Is this going to affect the outcome a lot??

Also, I accidentally added an extra oz of Citra at the beginning of the boil... now I don't have the full 3 oz to dry hop (got 2-2.5oz left)... hahaha

Damn oh well it still smells awesome!

Is there a general consensus on the yeast for this? S-04? Anybody try WLP007 or WLP002?

The couple bottles of this I've had, it seemed very full bodied. I don't want to overattenuate for sure.

This lasted less than 2 weeks in our keg... definitely will be brewing it again after I do a batch of Kern River Citra DIPA!

Back