Oatmeal Stout Milk Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My batch is sitting in the secondary. I racked it over a vanilla extract and a cocoa nib extract I made with a local vodka (Soft Tail Distillery) -- I know it might be too much flavor, but I'm a rebel!

When I took the gravity reading as I racked it, it was at 1.030 (from an initial OG of 1.060) -- looking good. The smell was that of a hershey's bar and the taste was excellent! Looking forward to getting it bottled and conditioned.

Brewed drinkinsurfer' s extract recipe as posted but instead substituted 1.5 lbs Midnight Wheat for Black Patent
and reduced Chocolate Malt to 4oz.

tried while brewing my next batch after 1 week primary, 1 week secondary and 1 week in the bottle. the carbonation was just enough to show me how delicious this is going to be.

thanks drinkin surfer!

this looks sooooooooooooo tasty, going down tothe brew store in a day or so to grab the ingredients. Only thing is my LHBS doesn't carry Windsor the last time I checked. would I be able to sub s-04 (got a few washed jars in the fridge) and get similar result?

I have 2+" of trub in mine. It's only a half batch 2.5gal. Looks like a thick ovaltine. But, not as dark in color as yours. OG came in at 1.084 on brew day. Haven't tested since it's only 4 days old.

Brewed this today but with 6 lb LME and 1.25 oz fuggle @ 60m, other than that it was exactly as posted. I wanted about 5.5% ABV and hit 1.064 OG. If everything goes to plan with fermentation, should be nearly exactly 5.5%!

Thanks for the recipe, I'll post my results in a few weeks.

apologies for one last question. I got all the ingredients the other day for this baby (been salivating over this recipe for weeks) and want to brew this and have it ready for my father in law when he comes down in 6 weeks (he's a HUGE stout fan). problem is that the lactose had to be ordered online due to my LHBS trying to rape me on it ($10 a lb is a tad high lol) and got lost in the mail so it won't be here for another week.... my question is if I brewed it without the lactose and just kept it the "oatmeal" portion of the stout would it work or would not having the lactose in the recipe screw up the "balance" so to speak

I brewed this a while ago, and it got better after 2 months in the bottle because it took a while to carbonate. (1st brew & i may have messed up my priming sugar). this was really tasty with a few drops of vanilla extract to the glass. it really rounded out the beer. i will brew this again and split the batch to play with adding chocolate nibs and vanilla to secondary.

Has anyone noticed that you when you plug this into beersmith, you get an estimated FG of 1.009? This confuses me...

Keep us updated please

brewed it and just bottled this evening. Since I didn't have the Milk Sugar at the time of brewing I used S-04 yeast instead of Windsor to add some of that sweetness that the Lactose sugar would add. tasted GREAT going into the bottles, chocolaty and sweet at the same time. Almost like a dessert stout.

brewed it and just bottled this evening. Since I didn't have the Milk Sugar at the time of brewing I used S-04 yeast instead of Windsor to add some of that sweetness that the Lactose sugar would add. tasted GREAT going into the bottles, chocolaty and sweet at the same time. Almost like a dessert stout.

If you were aiming for sweetness windsor was a better choice: that particular strain can´t ferment maltotriose a complex sugar form by three glucose molecules, there is around 10% of this sugar in a typical wort, so finishes higher than S-04

Has anyone noticed that you when you plug this into beersmith, you get an estimated FG of 1.009? This confuses me...

Don´t mind about estimated FG in Beersmith, they just have the aparent attenuation of the yeast strain and aply that to your recipe, it doesn´t have to finish there.

If you were aiming for sweetness windsor was a better choice: that particular strain can´t ferment maltotriose a complex sugar form by three glucose molecules, there is around 10% of this sugar in a typical wort, so finishes higher than S-04

hmmm, didn't realize that, I knew S-04 finished sweeter than S-05 and I thought windsor was a clean dry yeast like S-05. well, still tastes great and I'm kinda glad it's not any sweeter than it already is. kind of a "milk chocolate" taste to it with a full lb of oats in there.

Don´t mind about estimated FG in Beersmith, they just have the aparent attenuation of the yeast strain and aply that to your recipe, it doesn´t have to finish there.

I guess I meant that it confuses me that beersmith would contain a bug for so long without being fixed. I'm sure tons of newer brewers have used the software with lactose and been disappointed.

ok, tasted mine after almost a week of bottling. tasty, but I think I added too much sugar for a stout's profile when bottling. when with 4.5 ounces of sugar instead of 3.5 ounces of sugar so it would carb a tad faster (my father in law LOVES stouts and is coming down for thanksgiving and I wanted it to be ready in 2 weeks instead of 3)... yeah yeah I know, stupid, still well within parameters for bottle bombs etc. (tested and FG was at 1.017 for 4 days straight). just a tad "sharper" than most stouts are, kinda covers up the smooth creamier taste that I can detect underneath that carbonation. Can I just crack the lids a bit and recap to relieve some of that carbonation. (stout still tastes good just know it can be soooooooo much better if it was less carbonated.)

Go with the extra light instead of the amber or dark. The extra light has the same ingredients with a slightly lighter color. The other two extract have different malts that will impact flavor. You can read up on the details here:

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Products/Extracts.htm

I must have missed something on the page you linked, but I couldn't find the extra light there at all.

Looks like the difference between Amber and Light is Amber is sweeter? I got impatient and already asked them to send the Amber instead, before I read your post. :( I guess I won't be brewing until next weekend then. Damnit.

The "Sharp " taste will fade as it ages. Your tasting "green " beer right now. I would say start drinking those beers in two weeks, that carb level is going to make it taste like soda if you leave it go to long. I have done the very samething. Now I keg... less worries. Still this is the best stout I ever made and people who don't like stout keep coming back for more!

I must have missed something on the page you linked, but I couldn't find the extra light there at all.

Looks like the difference between Amber and Light is Amber is sweeter? I got impatient and already asked them to send the Amber instead, before I read your post. :( I guess I won't be brewing until next weekend then. Damnit.

Sorry, most homebrew shops call it extra light. Briess calls it Pilsen light. It's the same stuff.

The "Sharp " taste will fade as it ages. Your tasting "green " beer right now. I would say start drinking those beers in two weeks, that carb level is going to make it taste like soda if you leave it go to long. I have done the very samething. Now I keg... less worries. Still this is the best stout I ever made and people who don't like stout keep coming back for more!

yeah, a "soda" taste is the best way to describe it. ok, it'll mellow as it ages a bit. good, I'm hoping to pop the bottles at about the 2-2.5 week mark for my father in law. x fingers.

For what it's worth, Brad responded to my email saying it's a known bug and they are working to fix it for the next release.

Sorry, most homebrew shops call it extra light. Briess calls it Pilsen light. It's the same stuff.

No worries, as I said I had already told them to replace it with the Amber Extract. And I decided I'm going to brew it with the Amber anyway. There are other grains in the Amber, true. But, it's grain and half the fun of this hobby is seeing what happens, right? I'm highly doubtful it will completely destroy what I'm going for which is a sweet, sessionable Stout.

This will be my second beer, not counting Apfelwein and my first to ferment in glass. I'll post updates to let you know how the Amber impacts it. Wish me luck!

Ok, I brewed this last night with the following changes.

1.) My grain order came all combined in one big bag, so I couldn't separate the oats. Instead, I brought my water temp to 115 and steeped the whole bag for 15 minutes, then just left it all in there and brought the temp up to 155 for another 45 minutes.
2.) Used Amber extract instead of Light. Added half of the DME after the steep, then added the other half with the Lactose and Irish Moss. at the 15 minute boil point.
3.) Added bittering hops at 45 minutes instead of 60 and aroma hops at flameout.

My OG was 1.049, which I think is pretty good considering the partial boil mix. I'm still looking to hit the prescribed FG from the original recipe. :)

It is bubbling merrily away on my kitchen table this morning. My first ferment in glass and I'm enjoying the show!

My first ferment in glass and I'm enjoying the show!

It is fun to watch, but you may want to cover that fermenter with a towel or blanket when you are not enjoying the show to keep light out. Light can cause reactions with the hops in the beer which cause the beer to taste "skunked". This is why brown bottles are preferred over green or clear.

It may not make TOO MUCH difference over the course of a 2 or 3 week fermentation, but I would not be willing to risk it with my beer.

Brewed this today but with 6 lb LME and 1.25 oz fuggle @ 60m, other than that it was exactly as posted. I wanted about 5.5% ABV and hit 1.064 OG. If everything goes to plan with fermentation, should be nearly exactly 5.5%!

Thanks for the recipe, I'll post my results in a few weeks.

Been drinking this lately and it's turned out fantastic. It's been a little over two weeks and I think it'll peak in a couple more, so I'll be drinking this slow. Overall it's an excellent sweet stout that smells and looks absolutely perfect.

Just brewed this today. Used extra light (3lb) and golden light (3lb). Smelled great. OG was high...but that's ok. I don't mind a big stout. No fuggles at shop, went with hersbrucker. No windsor yeast....went for english ale yeast. We'll see what happens.

I brewed this a couple months ago and WOW this is absolutely my favorite beer I've ever made. I served this to friends at a party and even people who generally dislike dark beers loved this one, its just so smooth. Anyway I was wondering what it would be like to turn this into a Oatmeal Cream Cherry Stout? Too much of a good thing? Thanks for any input.

Brewed a 3 gallon batch this week, used Muntons Plain Light, divided into 3 additions throughout the boil. OG was a bit high, probably due to the boil, stupid apartment stove.

Planning on adding .7oz of french oak chips soaked in bourbon at the end of week 2 for 3 days... then going to bottling. Don't want overwhelming flavor, just hoping for a hint of oak.

Just brewed this today. Used extra light (3lb) and golden light (3lb). Smelled great. OG was high...but that's ok. I don't mind a big stout. No fuggles at shop, went with hersbrucker. No windsor yeast....went for english ale yeast. We'll see what happens.

this was my very first brew and i too went with the english ale yeast. flavor was awesome. this time i am using wlp007, a higher attenuating yeast. i felt the first go around was a bit syrupy for most people. i also didn;t really know how to brew then. but i love wlp007 for bigger beers.

This will be my first non-kit batch. Unfortunately I had to make some changes:

-No lactose, so no milk. I just can't find that darn thing anywhere.

-Safale s-04 instead of notty

-East kent goldings 6% (about 1.6 oz @ 60 min since I'll be doing half boil)

-LHBS didn't have chocolate malt but had chocolate wheat malt so that's what I'll be using

-I was thinking about using 0.5-1 lb of 60l crystal, would this somehow compensate the lack of lactose in sweetness?

This will be my first non-kit batch. Unfortunately I had to make some changes:

-No lactose, so no milk. I just can't find that darn thing anywhere.

-Safale s-04 instead of notty

-East kent goldings 6% (about 1.6 oz @ 60 min since I'll be doing half boil)

-LHBS didn't have chocolate malt but had chocolate wheat malt so that's what I'll be using

-I was thinking about using 0.5-1 lb of 60l crystal, would this somehow compensate the lack of lactose in sweetness?

Adding crystal malt will help, but I am not sure that it will completely make up the difference. However, S-04 usually does not attenuate as well as Notty, so that will add a little sweetness to the finished brew as well. Between the 2 changes, you overall perceived sweetness will probably be in the ballpark. If you are worried that the perceived sweetness will be too low, you can also decrease the hops by 10% or so. Either way, it should still be a solid stout, just not quite exactly the same as the original recipe.

Back