When to add spices to Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpNAdam47

Reaction score
I'm making a version of of Edworts Apfelwein and wanted to add some cinnamon, spices ect..

i've read if I add spices to the primary it will end up tasting bad so i removed the cinnamon sticks. Is it safe to add the spices after i put in secondary?

Some spices dont do so well in primary, imo cinnamon is one of those. Be careful when adding spices as they can quickly overpower, Star Anise & Fennel - prime examples. I'm yet to find a method for Ginger in the primary that yields success. Spicing in secondary is fine, if your worried about it, soak it in good vodka and it to secondary.

What I find in primary spicing is 90% of aroma gets blown off by the co2. Flavour becomes either insipid or overwhelming. The key is too do one gal test batches until you find something that appeals to you then upscale.

Thanks for the advise, i'm gonna let the Afelwine dry out then move to secondary and add some spices to be safe... this is my first batch of Afelwine and would rather play it safe!

I mash everything up with a mortar and pestle, put it in a coffee filter in the instant coffee maker, let it brew 4 cups of spice tea, cool it a bit, and dump that into the cold keg and swirl it in on my first serving day.

Sounds funky, but works really well!

Basically apple pie spice:

Brown sugar, allspice, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, sweet orange peel.

I don't remember the proportions, but I basically did a google search of spiced cider and mimicked the proportions. I think they also sell pre-made apple pie spice in the spice aisle at the grocery store.

my cider had stopped bubbling so i'll be trying this technique Friday or saturday. I just went and bought apple pie spice at the store. gonna start off w/ a couple spoonfuls and see how it goes.

I know this is an old thread, but how did the apple pie brand work? How much did you use?

Back