Batch sparge efficiency question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tochsner

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, just got done with a real simple pale recipe. Just 11lbs of 2-row and 1lb of crystal 60. All calculations done by BeerSmith. I hit my mash temperature and volumes right on the money but still ended up with 61% efficiency.
The only thing I did wrong was during my batch sparge. It called for 1.5 gallons of 168* water for the first sparge and 4 gallons of 168* water for the second sparge. I only put in .5 gallons the first time (don't ask) but followed it up with 5 gallons on the second sparge to get my correct pre-boil volume.
Could that have a significant effect on efficiency?

How many gallons did you expect. You collected just the right amount?

There is usually a loos due to grain.

What was your original gravity?

Happy Fourth!

Th biggest reason for low efficiency is crush. A comment I've heard other brewers say is "crushed 'til you're scared!" Many LHBS mills are set at something like .040 or so. Which means you won't get a stuck mash or sparge, but the efficiency may suffer.

Did you crush the grain, or have it done at the LHBS?

I'm struggling with what sounds like the same problem. And I'm starting to believe it's all in my water volumes. Are you getting the correct pre-boil volume, as well as the correct post-boil volume? Are you leaving wort in the mash tun? I'm getting around 61% also and I've been leaving wort in the mash tun, as well as too much post-boil volume. So I end up with a diluted wort and thus low efficiency. I do my calculating in Beersmith and I'm thinking it must just be off somewhere. I'm planning on lowering my pre-boil by .5 gallons, my sparge by 1 gallon, and if needed I will have a gallon boiling on the stove if I don't hit my pre boil.

On my last batch I ended up almost .5 gallons too much wort post boil, and if I had hit the correct volume I would have had 70% efficiency.

No, I end up with exactly the amount of wort I am looking for. As I said, all of my volumes are spot on. I have figured the deadspace in my mash tun as well as how much I leave behind with the trub.
Beersmith said 8.1 gallons into the pot. 6.5 gallons after the boil. 6.25 after it's cooled and 5.5 into the fermenter after the trub.
I do crush my own grains with a mill from Rebel Brewer. It seems to work great. Maybe I can do it a little tighter next time.
What about my batch sparging? Would less wort on the first run off and more on the second make much difference?

Did you pre-heat your mash tun?

I forgot to do this today and lost a lot to my mash....I was off by .017 on my post boil reading.

Just a thought.....

Lowering the volume of sparge water will lower your efficiency if you leave everything else the same. You might try splitting the 5 gallon sparge into 2 - 2.5 gal sparges

Back