Prices for grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bk0

Reaction score
I have two LHBS's near me.

The first one is close to my house but only sells pre-crushed grain at a flat $2.20/lb for all types. They also measure and bag it for you. They sell hops at a flat $3.75/oz for all types (pellets).

The second is 25-30 min away but sells grain at around $1.20-2.00/lb but you have to measure and crush it yourself in store. The hops go for $1.75-2.50/oz depending upon variety.

Now I now the one I'm going to choose, but I'm curious if this kind of variation is normal? Which would you choose?

Yeah, that kind of variation is pretty normal. I hear guys saying how they can get bulk grain at their LHBS for ~$1.00 a pound...but I know my LHBS charges $65 (at least) for a sack of Briess 2-row, let alone Maris Otter. But LHBS has no local competition, just online sales or 'group buys' that get organized.

Depending on the one that's closer, if his crush is real good and they mill it right there for you, that might not be a bad deal.
The other place might be a better hop source though.

The price variation is pretty typical, My LHBS sells most grains for $1.65-1.85 per pound and charges $0.20 per pound to mill, hops are typically $2.00 per ounce across the board for pellets, $4.00 per 2 ounce whole leaf.

My only concern would be the freshness of the pre-crushed product. If they are moving a lot of product then its not a worry.The other concern would be the quality of the crush, if you mill it yourself you know what you are getting. Just my point .02 :)

Yeah, I wouldn't buy pre-crushed. Freshness is one thing, but they may also be using different mills, so the crush could be different each time. The first store's pricing is borderline highway robbery. I'm all for supporting LHBS but that's a bit over the top.

mattmcl said:
Yeah, I wouldn't buy pre-crushed. Freshness is one thing, but they may also be using different mills, so the crush could be different each time. The first store's pricing is borderline highway robbery. I'm all for supporting LHBS but that's a bit over the top.

I agree, that's pretty damn pricy, especially for those hops. I mean that is the high end for hard to get hops. Regular hops can go for 1/3 of that at "normal" pricing.

I agree, that's pretty damn pricy, especially for those hops. I mean that is the high end for hard to get hops. Regular hops can go for 1/3 of that at "normal" pricing.

That's what I was thinking too. As convenient as it is to just go in there, hand them a grain bill and wait 5 minutes for them to pack up the grain and hops, I'm not sure it's worth the premium. For a big beer I could save $20 easy going to the other place.

The second store further away would be my choice. No brainer. There's no way I'm buying pre-crushed grain. Who knows how long it's been there. Sure the turnover for 2-row is probably pretty quick, but that's about it. The difference in prices helps offset the extra gas.

On 20 lbs you will save $6.00 on the grains, but you will break even on gas to get there.

So here is my two cents.

1. I like to crush my own grains, and at my specification.
2. Go with the store that treats you personally better, ie. do you like the people, do they like you.
3. Your time is valuable, is that worth the hour of drive time.
4. Make a point that prices matter, maybe the other guy will lower his prices by the lack of business.

The only LHBS near me is 40 minutes away.

Wow. My LHBS is charging around 3.50 a lb for base malts. Milled fresh but man. I ordered mostly from Austin but in a pinch I pay.

I have two LHBS's near me.

The first one is close to my house but only sells pre-crushed grain at a flat $2.20/lb for all types. They also measure and bag it for you. They sell hops at a flat $3.75/oz for all types (pellets).

The second is 25-30 min away but sells grain at around $1.20-2.00/lb but you have to measure and crush it yourself in store. The hops go for $1.75-2.50/oz depending upon variety.

Now I now the one I'm going to choose, but I'm curious if this kind of variation is normal? Which would you choose?

Two Words: "Group Buy".
For example, Syracuse area group buy:
55# 2-row: < $35 SHIPPED
55# TF-Maris Otter: < $48 shipped
Hops:
Columbus < $6/# shipped
Cascade < $7/# shipped

You can also buy certain varieties of hops pretty inexpensively from places like hopshack: Columbus $7/#, Cascade $11/#.

Hops for $3.75/oz is outrageous unless it is something in VERY SHORT supply (e.g. Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial), and even for these you can find them considerably cheaper. For example, Farmhouse Brewing has Centennial for $1.25/oz (in 4 ounce increments, limit 4 packages = 1#), Amarillo for $1.99/oz (limit 6 ounces), and Simcoe for $1.99/oz (limit 6 ounces).

If your only buying a couple of ounces, it doesn't pay to have it shipped...but plan ahead a bit or think about re-brews a bit down the road.

I recently bought 50lb of American Pale Malt from Morebeer.com for $1.01 a lb and 7 lb of C-120 @ $1.65 a lb (w/ free shipping over $59). Group buys are much cheaper, but I was impatient.

Cheers!

Wow I have it good, my LHBS less than a mile from my house charges 45 for a 50lb sack of 2row, $1.50 for wheat, Marris otter and 1.50-2 for specialty grains, no charge to crush. Most hops are $1.99 per oz and up to 3 for some of the "expensive" ones.

I did look into group buys on grain but with the price of gas and unless I'm buying a few sacks at a time I'll support my local guy, not to mention I like going there, super nice guy and really knows his stuff.

I'm at $1.25 for base and $1.75 for specialty. Uncrushed, free mill on site. Pellet or leaf hops are $1.99 oz across the board.

where do you guys find 50lb for 35? I only see that price with a $27 shipping on top of it.

LHBS is 1.50 for base and most of the specialty grains. some things like Munich are cheaper than base malts...they have for 1.45...cant figure out why they cant give a volume discount when they have a pallet of 4 55 gallon drums of pale 2row instead of a little bucket of the specialty.

I have a number of LHBS within 10 miles of my houses. The closest sells 2 row for 99 cents (or $1) and will grind it for you at the time of purchase for free. Hop leaf is $1.99 per oz. Most of the other stores sell in 2 oz packages for around $4. They also sell bottled beer and have always have 10 brews on tap in a keezer in the back room. One of the other stores has its own little brew pub and will sell you a 50 lb sack of 2 row for $36 and "store" the sack for you. Basically, for $36 you get credit for 50 pound. They will also grind it for free.

I'm all for LHBS, and do a fair bit of purchase from my local, especially since he's a member & sponsor of our brew club. With that said, however, I'd be unable to brew if I bought all my stuff there--the cost would be prohibitive. I can get 50# of 2-row for $45 but 3# DME, a vial of yeast, & 2oz of Kent Goldings cost me $35. I brew a LOT (15 batches so far this year) on a teacher's salary. So I buy my hops, specialty grains, and yeast online and get bulk grains, bottles, hydrometers, and such from the LHBS.

Notice that OP is from NY, NY. Add 30% to everything. :D

I'm in Chicago and my LBHS is pretty cheap, I feel. I pay about $1.50-$2.00 per lb for base malts (less in bulk) and $2.00-$3.00 for specialty malts. Hops average maybe $2.50/oz for leafs or pellets.

My average grain bill is maybe $25-$30 for a 5 gal batch. Figure 5-7 lb base, 3-5 lbs specialty, a couple oz hops, and yeast. That's with our crazy taxes too. LHBS gives a 10% discount if you belong to a registered homebrew club.

They keep a mill in store and you can mill your own grains. The crush is a little loose, but I just run them through twice because I do it myself and it's free!

Added bonus, they usually have 3-5 homebrew beers on tap that you can taste while looking around or being rung up or milling (or all of the above, because the beer is free too):mug:

where do you guys find 50lb for 35? I only see that price with a $27 shipping on top of it.

Group buys. Brew club places one big order (like 2-3 pallets worth), has a freight carrier drop it off at a loading dock, and everyone grabs their order.

I guess I have good. Lhbs sells 50lb sacks of 2row for $39 and specialty grains for $1.75. They also have good hop prices $1.25 for basics like cascade, northern brewer etc. and $2.25 for the hard to come by varieties Amarillo, simcoe, citra.

Back