Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer Jalapeno Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well - everything went great on brew day. I sure hope it tastes better than it looks. I noticed some of the green from the jalapenos leached. Actual efficiency came in at 78.75%.

Sundowner was right - That Vodka is HOT!! I also smoked the jalapenos with hickory. Smoked flavor was in the vodka too.

ok I'm on the hook for this one. Got some fresh garden 'penos from my father in law over the weekend and was smoking some ribs on Sunday so I threw the peppers in. Saw this thread yesterday and took the OP recipe and scaled it for three gals. I was really excited to brew so I did it last night when I got home from work. I didn't have any vienna so I had to sub with victory and I did add a little c-40 for color. I had to sub the hops as well but kept the same alphas and IBUs. I kept everything with the recipe same as OP and I pitched S-05. I put (2) peppers in the boil (15min) and plan to put (2) more in the carboy once fermentation dies down.

Note to self: small batches are not worth it. I was scared of this recipe so I went with (3) gals, but in hindsight the couple bucks saved and just minutes saved off the total brewday isn't worth it. Wish I woulda done the 5gals. Plus the wort tasted great! If it comes out as expected I may do 10gal next time!

I will report back after my next tasting in a couple weeks!

So here's my update after bottling this last night. Actually only ended up with 2.25 gal so I need to work something out on my sparge/boil calcs. I fermented for two weeks exactly, then took the (4) remaining smoked penos that I had frozen, sliced them lengthwise and added everything to the fermenter: seeds, pith, and skin. No vodka soak. After 24hrs it was warm and pretty earthy. After 48hrs it was quite warmer but not too hot and the earthiness mellowed, or at least took a back seat to the heat. I bottled at 48hrs cuz I was afraid if I let it go another day it would be too much heat. I think its gonna be about right though after it conditions. Will update in a few more weeks.

I'm brand new to brewing, as I type this my first batch is fermenting away in my closet. I was going to do a Jalapeno Saison but this beer sounds amazing. My question is if I want to make a small batch, 1 gallon fermentation jug, can I just divide this recipe by 5?

Thanks!

I plan to make a 3 gallon batch this weekend.

Here is my plan:

3.50 lbs Pale Malt
0.50 lbs Vienna
0.25 lbs CP
0.50 lbs Corn Flaked Maize
1.00 oz Kent Goldings U.K. (3.8%) AA 60 min **Can't get 1.00 oz Cluster [7.0%]
0.50 oz Libertry (3.9%) A 25 min ** Can't get 1.00 oz Liberty Leaf [4.3%]
0.50 oz Libertry (3.9%) A 15 min ** Can't get 1.00 oz Liberty Leaf [4.3%]

7 roasted, 5 added to boil, 2 added to 3 gallon carboy

Sound like a good conversion?? Thanks!

I just racked mine to secondary, and thought I'd share my experience so far.

This was my first all-grain, so... a few things need to be tweaked next time, haha.

To begin with, I followed the recipe pretty much to spec. I did use Nottingham Ale yeast instead, and also used 5 jalapenos for the boil and 5 jalapenos for dry-hopping. My mash temps were very low at 147, and it seemed no matter how much boiling water I added, I couldn't get it the raise. I didn't want to add too much, so I would still have a good amount for the single sparge (I batch-sparged). I ended up with a OG of 1.46 and a FG of 1.004, as expected, with such a low mash temp. Looks like it'll be a pretty dry beer.

I tasted my batch when racking to secondary after two weeks. With just the 5 jalapenos in the boil, its got some heat in the back of the throat. I had already soaked 5 roasted jalapenos for dry-hopping, so I added them anyways. I figured I'll leave them in for 3 days, after hearing the heat mellows a bit during bottle conditioning.

As for the vodka that the jalapenos were soaked in... WOW. I had left them soaking for two days and MAN WAS IT SPICY! Using a couple shots for a bloody mary was pretty much out of the question. I didn't want to waste the vodka though, so I used a bit of it to fill my airlock, and made a big batch of hot sauce with the rest! In a food processor went about 12 tbsp of jalapeno vodka, a can of diced tomato, some garlic, salt, pepper, and cilantro. Then I let it simmer for a while to burn off most of the alcohol and reduce a bit. I cooled it off, added vinegar and bottled it. YUM!

So the vodka sterilizes the jalapenos? It seems to be removing their heat, which seems strange if the vodka isn't added to the fermenter.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure why the vodka soaking step is in place if we are first roasting the jalapenos, which would sanitize them anyways. You can go right ahead and add that vodka to your fermenter if you'd like! It'll up the alcohol content a bit and for sure increase the heat! I wonder if the dry-hopping adds more of a jalapeno flavor as well though?

Yeah, I'm not quite sure why the vodka soaking step is in place if we are first roasting the jalapenos, which would sanitize them anyways. You can go right ahead and add that vodka to your fermenter if you'd like! It'll up the alcohol content a bit and for sure increase the heat! I wonder if the dry-hopping adds more of a jalapeno flavor as well though?

I have made this beer twice and plan on making it again very soon. My first batch took 3rd place...... very cool. It had a great balance and was described by a fellow brewer as:

What I liked most about it was the way the beer transitions across the palate. The aroma was smoky, with a "green" aroma like cutting into fresh jalapenos. The smoke flavor continues to come through along with everything else and adds a wonderfully assertive balance to the whole beer. The initial flavor somewhat matches that aroma, then it finishes with a nice balancing act from the cream ale itself. Then the heat comes in the very late finish, making you want to reach for your next sip.

In my opinion soaking the smoked/roasted jalapeno's is extremely important. First, it kills off any hidden bacteria. Second, your tincture can be used in the bottling bucket. The vodka draws out all the heat and jalapeno flavors. The point is, you control the heat by adding as much of the tincture as needed.

Hope that helps....

I just tasted mine again while bottling, and ooh wee, its a sipper, hah... I love spicey stuff, but I'm not sure many of my friends will enjoy it. I'm hoping the heat mellows out a little while it ages.

mine was the same way before i chilled and carbed it. i thought it was going to be way too hot but once it was chilled and carbed it toned down quite a bit. people still ask me about this beer. going to have to make it again soon

Hi there i am still new to all this i have only made 7 beers so far so i am still making beer with the extract, this beer sounds great but i don't do all grain yet so do you think that using a cream ale extract recipe would work out ok. And on the peppers when you say rinse does the include rinsing the seeds out as well? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi there i am still new to all this i have only made 7 beers so far so i am still making beer with the extract, this beer sounds great but i don't do all grain yet so do you think that using a cream ale extract recipe would work out ok. And on the peppers when you say rinse does the include rinsing the seeds out as well? Thanks for any help you can offer.

In an earlier post I wrote:

In my opinion soaking the smoked/roasted jalapeno's is extremely important. First, it kills off any hidden bacteria. Second, your tincture can be used in the bottling bucket. The vodka draws out all the heat and jalapeno flavors. The point is, you control the heat by adding as much of the tincture as needed.

Seeds and all - after roasting just throw them in a jar of vodka.

For the OP and all that have brewed this, I'm thinking about doing a smaller batch of this, maybe 3 gallons. I'm thinking of brewing an 8 gallon batch of the cream ale and then splitting it into a 5 gallon fermenter and 3 gallon fermenter, keeping the 5 gallons as simply a cream ale and then the 3 gallons for the Jalapeno Cream Ale. My questions are:

Do you think I'm missing out on a lot of flavor if only putting peppers in secondary (and not in the boil at all)?

How do you think the base is on its own (just a cream ale with no pepper flavor)?

I just don't want to have 5 gallons of the jalapeno beer, and I also don't want to go through an entire 4 hour brew day for just 3 gallons.

I think that would be fine to only secondary. You may miss a little of the complexity, but with a "spicy" beer thats probably less noticeable that with other styles. Cream ale itself is good too. I kept some on tap throughout the summer for BMC drinking buddies but ended up really liking it for myself as a lighter refreshing beer on hot days (great lawnmower beer).
One thing on my experience: I too made a 3gal test batch of this back in the summer because I didn't want 5gal of something that no one would drink. It is easily my most remarkable beer to date if for nothing else just the novelty of having a jalapeno beer. You just don't see that much if ever and most adventurous types wanted to try it once they heard about it. 3 gal went way too fast. Granted, not everyone likes the idea and it is definitely not for everyone, but for those who can appreciate the uniqueness it's great! I can't wait til the penos come back in next season, I see me making at least 10gal of this next year and even entering it in some of my local HBC comps. Good luck!

I have a 3 gallon batch of this cream ale in primary right now ready to rack. For those who have experimented with different pepper additions here, how many roasted peppers should I use if I did not use any in the boil and if I am only adding them to secondary? Will probably plan to have them in secondary for a week. How many peppers should go in and how much of the vodka pepper tincture should I add? I don't mind the heat, and I'd like this to have some pepper kick, since that's the point of using them. Thanks!

Been thinking about making a pepper beer, and was trying to figure out what base beer to use. This might be it. However, as a hothead, I'll be kicking it up a few notches, hello jolokias!

I have a 3 gallon batch of this cream ale in primary right now ready to rack. For those who have experimented with different pepper additions here, how many roasted peppers should I use if I did not use any in the boil and if I am only adding them to secondary? Will probably plan to have them in secondary for a week. How many peppers should go in and how much of the vodka pepper tincture should I add? I don't mind the heat, and I'd like this to have some pepper kick, since that's the point of using them. Thanks!

well for a 5 gal batch I add 5 jalapenos for 3 days in the secondary,I do not add the vodka . I would try 3 peppers for 3 days then taste it if you want more heat let it sit longer but tastes sit everyday jalapenos vary so to take less or more time to get what you want

almost time to make another 10 gal batch:rockin:

The first time I brewed it I ended up using 12 ounces of the tincture. (I added 4 ounces at a time and then tasted) The beer was awesome!

I decided to kick up my second batch a little, and wasn't as pleased with the results. Heat lovers really enjoy batch #2. For me it lost that wonderful assertive balance of fresh jalapeno’s, smoke, and the cream ale itself. I really liked that the heat came in the very late finish, making you want to reach for your next sip.

I will cut back on batch #3.

youre all writing about spice level, but what about peper taste? my go is to get jalapeno flavor...will that come through with this recipe?!

youre all writing about spice level, but what about peper taste? my go is to get jalapeno flavor...will that come through with this recipe?!

For me balance is the key to all good beers. The heat is great, but if you fire it up to much all you get is the heat. I wish there was a silver bullet. The best I can offer is keep good notes and make a tincture so you control the balance.

Someone used munich in place of vienna. how did it turn out? I have lots of munich on hand, it'd be nice to use it.

Made a version of this beer inspired by the op recipe last summer and just entered it into my first brewing competition. Well, it took 1st place in category 21A! There were 18 other entries in that category so I think it must have stood out pretty well to the judges. Just got the news today and I'm so stoked!
fwiw, I smoked the peppers over cherry wood and did not do the vodka soak for the secondary, I was scared it would strip the subtle smokiness I wanted in the finished beer. I did freeze the peppers to sanitize and I used them sparingly in secondary for only 4 days. Came out a tad "hot" at first but has mellowed with aging and balanced nicely, although there is barely a hint of smokiness remaining.
Great recipe! Ready for my garden to come in this year for another batch!

Made a version of this beer inspired by the op recipe last summer and just entered it into my first brewing competition. Well, it took 1st place in category 21A! There were 18 other entries in that category so I think it must have stood out pretty well to the judges. Just got the news today and I'm so stoked!
fwiw, I smoked the peppers over cherry wood and did not do the vodka soak for the secondary, I was scared it would strip the subtle smokiness I wanted in the finished beer. I did freeze the peppers to sanitize and I used them sparingly in secondary for only 4 days. Came out a tad "hot" at first but has mellowed with aging and balanced nicely, although there is barely a hint of smokiness remaining.
Great recipe! Ready for my garden to come in this year for another batch!

nice thats cool I entered mine last year did not do so well only 30/50. I think part was I put it in 21A but called it a jalapeno cream ale. should have called it jalapeno ale maybe the judges where not so good . becouse everyone I give it to loves it

So let's say we want to add the vodka tincture to the cooled wort for increased spice. My concern is finding abv for the finished product. Do you take the og reading before adding the vodka? That way the vodka alcohol will be factored into the fg reading?

So let's say we want to add the vodka tincture to the cooled wort for increased spice. My concern is finding abv for the finished product. Do you take the og reading before adding the vodka? That way the vodka alcohol will be factored into the fg reading?

Although the Vodka might have a small effect on ABV, I think it would be minimal. It's early in the AM, but I think it would work something like this: If you used 8 ounces of tincture at bottling that would equate to 1 teaspoon per 12 ounce bottle.

Although the Vodka might have a small effect on ABV, I think it would be minimal. It's early in the AM, but I think it would work something like this: If you used 8 ounces of tincture at bottling that would equate to 1 teaspoon per 12 ounce bottle.

I am going to sample this for the first time tonight, so I don't know what mine is going to taste like yet, but I would imagine that 8oz tincture is going to be a LOT to add to a 5 gallon batch. Anyone else have any thoughts? Maybe I just feel that way due to the amount of time I soaked my peppers. I love the heat and the jalapeno flavor, but just tipping my fingertip in the tincture was pretty strong. Try and adjust.

nice thats cool I entered mine last year did not do so well only 30/50. I think part was I put it in 21A but called it a jalapeno cream ale. should have called it jalapeno ale maybe the judges where not so good . becouse everyone I give it to loves it

Really? I called mine a Smoked Jalapeno Cream Ale and still entered it in 21A (veg, spice, herb) because it was my understanding it couldn't be entered in a cream ale category due to the penos? I could very well be wrong about this due to my noobness, but I think that is the BCJP guideline. Sounds like your judges got that wrong

i'm brewing this up tomorrow. i just wanted to add one thing.

i've been wondering about soaking in vodka vs not soaking in vodka. then today my colleague pointed out that capcasin (the thing that makes peppers hot) is alcohol soluble. So that's why you soak it!

So in short, if you soak the peppers you pull out a lot of the spice into the vodka. So if you add the peppers to the beer, you get the flavor and "resin" of hotness. AKA a great mouth taste. If you don't soak, you'd want to not use as many peppers because your beer is going to be HOT!

If you soak and then use for flavor, add vodka to beer after fermentation to taste. That way you can dial up the spiciness.

But yeah... vodka does two things. 1) pull out hot stuff 2) sanitizes.

What else can you do this with?

i'm brewing this up tomorrow. i just wanted to add one thing.

i've been wondering about soaking in vodka vs not soaking in vodka. then today my colleague pointed out that capcasin (the thing that makes peppers hot) is alcohol soluble. So that's why you soak it!

So in short, if you soak the peppers you pull out a lot of the spice into the vodka. So if you add the peppers to the beer, you get the flavor and "resin" of hotness. AKA a great mouth taste. If you don't soak, you'd want to not use as many peppers because your beer is going to be HOT!

If you soak and then use for flavor, add vodka to beer after fermentation to taste. That way you can dial up the spiciness.

But yeah... vodka does two things. 1) pull out hot stuff 2) sanitizes.

What else can you do this with?

You just about said it all, sanitize is critical, but having control of how hot you want to make your beer is very important. Adding your tincture to the bottling bucket and sampling until you've reached the heat level you want is ideal. If you just throw in a bunch of jalapenos in you don't know what you're going to get. (Jalapenos aren’t created equal)

What else can you do? It makes one hell of a Bloody Mary, but I save my tincture for the next batch. I can assure you this is a beer you will make again.

Here's the recipe I'm brewing tonight. I am using munich instead of vienna. Adjusted the grain a bit as I sometimes get low efficiency. http://hopville.com/brewer/recipes/booherbg

Check this out - I'm brewing tonight and there are like 4 tornados touching down in the area. Therefor, this beer is going to be known as the TORNADO JALAPENO CREAM ALE... "It'll rip the roof right off of your mouth!" Mwa ha ha ha.

Code:
Name: Tornado Jalapeno Cream Ale
3 gallons

OG: 1.055
FG: 1.012
Color: 3 SRM
36.4 IBU
Mash Efficiency 65%

% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
73% 5 0 American 2-Row
11% 0 12 Flaked Corn
11% 0 12 Vienna Malt
5% 0 5 CaraPils
6 13

USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 0.3 Magnum leaf 12.5
boil 25 mins 0.5 Liberty pellet 4.0
boil 15 mins 0.5 Liberty pellet 4.

Mashing at 150F for 60 minutes. 90 minute boil.

Used 4 jalapenos; roasted at 450 for 40 minutes (took forever), 
soaked in vodka over night.

half 15 minutes before end of boil,
other half after primary fermentation

Thoughts about racking this onto a cake of US-05? I have a red ale that will be finished with primary and should have a nice cake left (OG 1.052)?

I've had much better success with dry yeast and would like to stick with Safale if possible.

Latest posts

Back