wont ferment.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crash_cohen

Reaction score
for some reason my newest batch doesnt want to ferment.
I added the fresh pressed juice, sugar, campden tabs, pectic enzymes, and yeast nutrient waited 24 hrs then added me yeast. It has been three days since I added the yeast and there has been no activity. Temp is right around 20c so 68f with a gravity of 1.080, so what could my issue be... yeast no good? I used wine yeast from the local brewery store and used the same stuff on my last few batches, only changes I made was the last batch didnt get the campden tabs or pectic enzymes and it fermented well for me.

thanks.

The campden is probably the culprit. I see you mentioned "tabs" as in the plural form of the word in reference to the campden. How many gallons are you treating with the campden and how many tabs are you using? If you are using campden for the sole purpose of dechlorinating your tap water, one tab will typically be sufficient for 20 gallons of water.

I havent used them before but was told that I should use them to stop the fermentation of wild yeasts and kill anything else in it, I used 1tab per gallon as I was told I am have 5galons so added 5 crushed tabs.. But looks like they also killed the yeast I wanted to start fermenting. If I add more yeast to it or rack it then add the yeast will this help? or am I stuck with un fermentable must?

I havent used them before but was told that I should use them to stop the fermentation of wild yeasts and kill anything else in it, I used 1tab per gallon as I was told I am have 5galons so added 5 crushed tabs.. But looks like they also killed the yeast I wanted to start fermenting. If I add more yeast to it or rack it then add the yeast will this help? or am I stuck with un fermentable must?

5 tablets should be fine. I'd stir the must up a bit, several times a day, and pitch some fresh yeast if nothing happens in the next day or so. It could be a bad pack of yeast (it happens), so I always have an extra on hand.

ya I have been mixing it up for the past 3days no fermenting has happened but I have some more yeast on hand might try adding some more today see if that does anything.

I'm experiencing the same problem. Except I made a starter with my yeast and it was chugging right along until I pitched. Now three days later and... nothing. The must is starting to smell very sweet too, with a distinct honey aroma.

Latest posts

Back