Looking for quick turnover brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastpitcher

Reaction score
I completed my first batch of extract brew... and then drank it before I started the next batch. (It goes faster than I had thought) My last brew took about 12 days to get it into bottles, but then took 3-4 weeks before it was past the green beer taste. Now I'm looking for an extract recipe that I can have ready in the shortest time possible. My goal is to get past the green beer taste in 2 weeks or less. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I don't know of any way to make it go faster, except to maybe brew a beer with a low OG (not sure about that either).

You don't want to rush it. I just got my first set of kegs and am dying to get a brew that has been going for about 10 days kegged. I plan to give it three weeks total, then cold crash it, then keg it, which is still a little shorter than I would like (I have kept some in my primary for 6 weeks prior to bottling in the past). I would rather wait then drink it green. This hobby requires some patience.

Yea sounds like you need to either brew more often or add another fermenter or two so you can get a pipeline going (I know, I know, these are terrible problems to have). Then you can be drinking beer A while beer B is bottle conditioning (or kegged) and beer C, D, E, and F is fermenting! Brew, transfer, bottle, chug, repeat.

Just to be clear I'm not trying to find some way to speed up the process and shortcut the beer. I'm just looking for a the shortest actual recipe someone has tried. I'm trying to make a quick one so that I can get a pipeline going.

Just to be clear I'm not trying to find some way to speed up the process and shortcut the beer. I'm just looking for a the shortest actual recipe someone has tried. I'm trying to make a quick one so that I can get a pipeline going.

we're not just suggesting these as some that can shortcut fermentation. you can do a hefeweizen or blonde...

How'd that taste?

This was a mostly late hopped blonde and tasted great in the beginning, a little better after a couple of days but levels off and doesn't get better with age, due to all of the flavor and aroma hops. I think it was like 1.042-1.044 SG id have to check beersmith for that.

+1 on Hefeweizen:

for 5 gallons -

6lb Wheat DME
1oz Czech Saaz @60 mins
Whirlfloc/Irish Moss @ 10 mins (optional)
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan (or any German Weizen Ale yeast)

Ferment until finished (generally 5-7 days) and package. This one's really good as soon as carbonated!
:mug:

a nice british mild is ready in about two weeks. i know orfy has a good recipe for one.

Low gravity helps. My Mild recipe is drinkable in 7 to 10 days after bottling, though two to three weeks is even better.

Witbier is another one best consumed young. American Wheat, Blonde Ale, etc.

My advice? Keep the OG below 1.045 and the flavors restrained. Hops-bombs take time to mellow, as do big roasted-malt flavors. Some Brown Ales are quite good young.

Cheers,

Bob

You can drastically speed up your process by kegging. I have gone from kettle to glass in eight days. However, it is much better to be patient. I find that 2 packets of Safale 04 work very quickly. Try making an english ale around 1.045-1.050 oxygenate and pitch two packets. Unfortunately with bottling, you pretty much have to wait the two weeks for it to be right.

what about a rye? Thinking about the rye-pa specifically.

By rye-pa I'll assume you mean a very hopped rye beer. If I'm correct, and you want a quick turnaround, stay away from hoppy beers. Hops take some time to mellow and blend their flavors together. Even a low-hopped beer can still taste hoppy after 6 weeks post kettle.

And if you're looking for a 12 day turnaround... Bottling probably won't get you there. To properly carb bottles takes 2-3 weeks. Even if you were fine with a lower carb level, you're still talking 7-10 days in a bottle. This will only leave you 2-5 days in primary which is cutting it real short.

But as stated, a blonde or wheat are better young, so if you need to jumpstart your pipeline quickly, start there. I just wouldn't plan on impressing anybody with the taste in 12 days.

As an aside, a buddy of mine did put together a brew from kettle to glass in 3 days. He used a turbo yeast (typically used for distillers as the initial booze quality and subtleties aren't of paramount importance) which fermented in 24 hours, cold crashed it, force carbed the
heck out of it and viola! It was awful, but after 12 or so, who could tell?

Does anyone know an idiot proof hefeweizen that is a little different than the basic? A simple hefewiezen would be fine as well, but it's always fun to add a twist.

From my bible by CP he says basic extract Ales can be ready to keg/bottle after as short a time as 4-7 days. Can be ready to drink in 2 days force carbonated in a keg. It'll still taste green for a week or so. Not saying aging doesn't help a lot... just if you need quick beer and arent super picky.

When I finished my first batch, same thing happened to me - oh crap, wish I had some more! I made Peak Pale Ale from my local shop, kegged it after exactly 7 days. PSI up to 30, shake GENTLY for just a couple mins (some say to shake vigorously for 15 mins) and the next day it was 'drinkable'. Not fantastic. Two weeks later, it was fantastic.

Disclaimer I'm just getting started too, only five batches under my belt. No fear, lovin it!

im an all grain brewer these days, i didnt take to the extract twang. i would recommend the blood orange hefeweizen, its extract. excellent beer and u can bottle in 10 days (mine was finished and clean on day 7)

I think quick beers have a lot to do with the yeast you use…+1 on the hefeweizen

Wyeast 1968 is a quick yeast also and works good with low OG beers like small pale ales and milds

Back