Recipe using a 5 gallon Better Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawggy_Stile

Reaction score
I’de like to make use of my 5 gallon Better Bottle while my primary is in use.
What are your thoughts on this recipe?

3.3 lbs Briess Bavarian wheat LME
1lb Wheat malt DME
1lb corn sugar
1oz Vanguard hops
1ox Sterling hops
Wyeast 1010 - use the whole package?

I would boil in 3 gallons water for 60 min and top off to 4 gallons.

I’m tired of looking at this empty Better Bottle and thought I’de just try putting together something simple. Something on my own for the first time and not from a kit.
If this doesn’t sound like it would work, are there any suggestions?
Thanks!

Would that have the hoppy character of say a IPA, if one addition is at 60 min then the next at 15?
How much priming sugar would I use for a 4 gallon batch then?
I wanna come up with something small, but I want it to be good...and I don't want to blow the bung off the better bottle.

From an IBU point of view, yeah you would be at the bottom end of an American IPA range, which is above your basic wheat beer. Try that calculator it gives ranges for typical styles and you just plug in your ingredients.
Here is a calculator for priming sugar:
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html
That is recommendation 5 - 7 oz of corn sugar, but I would tweak that based on your tastes.
As for the blow off---use a tube and hope for the best.

Now get to boiling!!

I am fairly sure the tastybrew calc doesn't come up with correct IBU's when you are doing a partial boil. Since you are boiling in 3 gallons and topping off to 4g I believe your utilization will be far lower and the IBU's will be 30-40% lower. I had this problem with my first batch where I was expecting a 30 IBU but I could barely notice it (was probably more like 15).

I've been using this http://www.brewersfriend.com/ibu-calculator/

Back