Kegerator conversion kit pricing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddrayne10

Reaction score
Hey this is a newbie question but here goes. I am attempting to build a kegerator from an old fridge. It is a standard fridge freezer not a mini fridge. I would like to have two taps on it. I have been looking online at conversion kits and it seems that for everything i need the best deal is http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=330 but i also found this for 10 bucks more but can figure out the difference http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=47. So my two questions are what is the difference and am i over paying for the conversion kits? I don't have any kegs, co2 or co2 regulator. Thanks

The price difference seems to be coming from the regulator, ones a Taprite and the other it probably a Chudnow. I cant say if your overpaying, I have been piecing mine together from craigslist for a little bit now, but you will need to fill the CO2 tank, and think about getting longer beer lines. 5ft can work, but it will take some experimenting. You might also want to think about upgrading to Perlick faucets, stay clean and stick free

I would recommend calling around CO2 stores (welding shops, fire extinguisher repair, paintball, etc..) and determining cost of each size cylinder and also whether they fill your tank or exchange for a filled tank. I know ALOT of people that have bought kits that come with 5 lb aluminum tanks and wished they had done something else once they figured out the CO2 situation in their area.

definitely call the welding shops. i called the two that were local to me, one was literally double the others price, and i ended up with a 20 lb tank cheaper than the 5 pound would've been. i couldn't find a place that would fill on the spot, so i just got their tank, and then i won't have a shiny new tank that they swap for an old ugly one. plus some places might be leery of the testing on a used tank if its not been tested recently enough. they test their tanks, so you know its good when you need a refill.

Ok i called around and found some shops that fill Co2 tanks for 24 dollars for a 5 pound tank. Then I had an idea and since i work at a bar i got the number for the company that does our co2 and nitrogen. They will sell me a brand new aluminum 5 pound tank for 70 or a stainless steal 10 pound tank for 90 dollar with the first fill for free. Then it will be 12 dollars for the 5 pound fill or 15 dollars for the ss 10 pound fill. Should i go with the 10 pound ss for my kegerator as it is only 20 dollars more. I am making a kegerator out of a full side fridge with 2 taps.

Craigslist is a great source for used CO2 equipment. I've picked up a few tanks & reg's for $40 or less for both items.

If you go new, you can't beat that deal for that 10 lb tank. I would definitely take that. samc is right though, there are sometimes tanks on Craigslist cheaper.

I just got my kegging system and instead of buying a CO2 tank there is the Wal-Mart sized store called the Party Source right by my office. I don't know if other stores that sell kegs do this but I think it was a pretty good deal.

I got a 5lb CO2 tank for a $40 'deposit' and it is $12 to fill. So it is their tank and they just replace it whenever you need a refill. I put quotes around the deposit because you are basically buying the used tank from them. You theoretically could return it to get your deposit back if & when you stop kegging, but why would you do that?

I am also making a kegerator. I just gutted an old fridge/freezer this weekend. I already have the kegs, tank and reg. I'm pretty sure I just need an out qd, hose, and door faucet, but I am having trouble finding a place online that sells just this. any recommendations?

micromatic.com, beveragefactory.com, kegconnection.com. Many online and local homebrew stores carry these parts as well.

Back