My Stuff - Rig through Pub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice. :) It's impressive to see everything together like that. Especially love the window looking in. Very cool.

Going to have to do a thread of my own now. :eek:

holy toledo, ohio.... that is stellar man, great work on all accounts. especially the pub window, that rocks.

The Cape is open daily from about 6:00 until last call. Tonight is Nickle-Wing Night for the Celtics and Bruins games.

I think I have finally worked out all of the kinks on the rig at this point as well. Up until his point I've had three batches that I was pretty happy with, two batches that weren't good at all (not infected but just really weak beers... gravity issues, etc). I have a saison that is in the fermenter now that seems solid and then Drinkwellwithothers and I did 18 gallons of Dunkelweizen on it yesterday that I think it going to be pretty good. All of the temps and gravity seemed like they got hit head on. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Love the setup man. I hope that when I finally own a home I will be able to build a bar in the basement. Looking good man!

Originally Posted by Gammon N Beer View Post
EDIT: Cape Brewing asked me to copy my original post in another thread to this one so not to hijack the other. Good idea CB. I will ask some questions of you about your rig here then. And, I will attempt to delete my OP in the other thread.

"Nice set up you have.

My NG service enters the house next to the patio. You have a flex pipe that you use in doors from the NG to the rig.

1) Can I use that same flex pipe outdoors?
2) I would need it to be around 20ft as I would also like to use my rig in the garage during winter months. Is that doable? And, would I need a plumber or can I do it myself?

3) How do I figure out what size pipe and fixtures to use? Does it relate to the burners and BTU's?

TY"

I got the flex pipe from McMaster Carr and it is not rated for outdoor use. I poked around quickly and didn't see anything for that length for outdoor use. You can always contact McMaster though and see if they have a recommendation. I might have missed it.

McMaster-Carr

The flex pipe I got comes in lengths of 20 feet but again... it's not for outdoor use.

Unless you REALLY know what you're doing, I would very strongly recommend having a professional do it. It's one thing to have a leaking water pipe, it's an entirely different thing to have a natural gas line leaking. If you are going to have a plumber come in and run the pipe, just have him run a line to the garage as well and then you wouldn't need the 20 feet of flex line. If a plumber is already coming out, another few feet of pipe to run it to the garage is going to be nothing. Then you would just need a short line of flex pipe (I have 8 feet I think) that would travel with your rig and you can just plug it in wherever the plumber puts a connection.

I'm certainly not a natural gas expert so take my advice on this with a grain of salt but my father (who teaches gas heating at a technical college) pointed me in the right direction for pipe size and fittings... I am using 1/2 copper soft drawn to feed the two 32-jet burners. Because gas pressure in a typical home is only about 3-4 lbs, I wanted to make sure the overall volume of gas getting to the burners wasn't going to be restricted... so I got the 3/4 flex pipe which then T's off to the two 1/2 copper feed-lines to the burners.

I got the flex pipe from McMaster Carr and it is not rated for outdoor use. I poked around quickly and didn't see anything for that length for outdoor use. You can always contact McMaster though and see if they have a recommendation. I might have missed it.

McMaster-Carr

The flex pipe I got comes in lengths of 20 feet but again... it's not for outdoor use.

Unless you REALLY know what you're doing, I would very strongly recommend having a professional do it. It's one thing to have a leaking water pipe, it's an entirely different thing to have a natural gas line leaking. If you are going to have a plumber come in and run the pipe, just have him run a line to the garage as well and then you wouldn't need the 20 feet of flex line. If a plumber is already coming out, another few feet of pipe to run it to the garage is going to be nothing. Then you would just need a short line of flex pipe (I have 8 feet I think) that would travel with your rig and you can just plug it in wherever the plumber puts a connection.

I'm certainly not a natural gas expert so take my advice on this with a grain of salt but my father (who teaches gas heating at a technical college) pointed me in the right direction for pipe size and fittings... I am using 1/2 copper soft drawn to feed the two 32-jet burners. Because gas pressure in a typical home is only about 3-4 lbs, I wanted to make sure the overall volume of gas getting to the burners wasn't going to be restricted... so I got the 3/4 flex pipe which then T's off to the two 1/2 copper feed-lines to the burners.

At times, reality does strike a cord. And this is one of them.

I will hire a plumber to deal with this part of the project. I will also KISS and begin with setting up on the patio where I can easily tap into an existing valve on the NG service. Later, after the sbrew stand is completed I will add some proper piping into the garage.

This way I can get started, although I believe this project may take a bit of time.

I appreciate your comments. I will be heading back over to Bobbies thread, where I originally began posting and you and I met.

I am hoping to tap into you and Bobbies expertise.

TY

I got through the rig pitcures and write-up and couldn't believe there was still that much more eye candy to look at. Is a picture of the hotdog machine forthcoming?

lol... that's funny someone bumped this.

Ehh... i guess I can take a pic of the hot dog steamer.... it's nothing too special (although it's a pretty nice thing to have). It is one of those small hot dog steamers you might see in an older convenience store. The SWMBO got it for me for x-mas or something a few years ago.

I host about half of the meetings for our brew club and having that thing loaded up doesn't suck.

ah it's a steamer, I think it was only refered to as a machine so I was wondering if it was one of the hotdog rollers...owning one of those would be awesome, esp for all the other foods you could put on it...

You cant put beer in a hotdog roller.Dogs,brats,etc are awesome steamed in beer.mmmmm Gotta get me one of those.

steamer.jpg

I saw this thread a while back but did not make the connection on the football trash talk thread. Luckily I didn't say anything there that needs to be taken back if I find myself in MA. Besides, we're in different conferences . . .

I was building my fridge when i saw this thread the first time. It is very similar to yours, mine is 4'D X 8' L X 5' H, yours looks to be about the same, yes? I showed my wife some of the pictures so she would stop rolling her eyes at me when I talked about my diy projects.

What temp do you keep yours set at. I have had it at 35 because I wanted to be able to store food in it too but that temp is playing havoc with my system balance. 35 equals 2 volumes at like 4 psi! So I have either a trickle of beer or overcarbed beer. And I don't mean too foamy, I mean just too carby. Are you using beer gas for the extended run to the coffin box?

Right now I have my taps mounted inside the fridge but I think I'll pop them through the side.

I run my cooler at about 37-38 degrees and no, I've never had any trouble with my beers being "too carby". I use regular CO2 and bump my pressure a little since I'm pushing 35 feet... so I run at about 18 PSI and I've never had a problem.

Where did you get those safety pilot gas control valves that are feeding your burners?
Excellent set up BTW.

Wow. This is an old thread.

I've already torn down that rig and rebuilt it with 45 gallon as pots for the hlt and bk and then a 35 for the mt.

I used the same valves though. They are Honeywell valves. My father teaches heating and a/c at a technical college so he gave me the model numbers and I bought em off eBay. I can get you the model numbers if you want (on way to work right now so could grab them tonight)

Yeah that would be much appreciated. I just moved to a house with natural gas so im kinda re-plumbing my propane fired herms, and those valves are key to making the transition. i like your burners too. Did they survive the rebuild as well?

This is an old thread! The bar in your basement is sweet. I really dig the entrance way and the name of the pub. I own a house and I have huge basement but it's an investment house so I'm not going to build anything. Hopefully, when I finally buy "the" house I'll have an area to build a pub like yours. It's truly awesome!
Oh, and your rig, back then, was pretty sweet too. Now with your new additions it sounds even cooler! Tip of the hat. :mug:

Back