Hooch!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magno

Sound Level Technician
Reaction score
SWMBO and I were cleaning out the fridge and she came across an old jar of fleishmans active dry yeast (for bread). She said she wasnt going to use it before we moved, but I couldnt see that much yeast going to waste. So I made me some prison hooch:

3/4 cup table sugar
1/2 cup orange gatorade mix
6 cups water
most of a jar of fleishmans yeast

OG: 1.070

I put the whole concoction in a plastic bag and left a hole so it could vent. Fermentation started within 30 minutes with this huge pitching rate.

I realize that there is the possibility of blindness if I drink this. Does anyone know if there is any way to tell before hand if the drink is dangerous?

346%3A%3B4983%7Ffp342%3Enu%3D3273%3E277%3E%3A38%3EWSNRCG%3D3233755%3B67636nu0mrj

I'll keep you guys posted...

- magno

Well, you certainly can drink everytrhing seperatly..... so you'll live. You know I've noticed something. Every once in a while we get someone here who insists on using bread yeast. (understand I'm not putting you in this category, I know this is just an interesting experiment for ya :) ) There is certainly a host of people who attempts to convince them there are better things to do with thier time and money. I imagine they do it anyways.... but they usually disappear however :D Never to be seen again....

So....I'm sure they lived. Just did not want to come back here. So don't you do that and dont come back here okay magno (LMAO)!

Some methods of fermentation can result in large quantities of methanol (wood alcohol), grappe comes to mind.

If anything gets you, it will be the gatoraids (pandemic in Florida, I hear).

Are you going to rack it to a secondary smaller zip lock with less headspace? :D

Sounds like a cool experiment. Be sure to let us know how it is. Maybe give the dog/cat a little bit first to see if he walks into walls or something. ;)

Wood alcohol won't be produced from sugar, but is made from distilling wood. Methane will be produced. You won't go blind, that is a myth, unless you drink wood alcohol, or poke your eye with a sharp stick. You might get a headache, maybe blow chow. Fermentation creates loads of nasty chemicals and distillation can remove much of them. If you let it settle you can drink it and basically you have produced Jailhouse wine. I imagine it is fairly nasty tasting.

homebrewer_99 said:
No need. Just snip a corner to drain the yeast (instant conical fermenter) and seal it with a rubberband or duct tape.:drunk:

Thats pretty much what I was planning to do. I cut the bottom off a gallon milk jug and put the bag in there so the yeast can settle into a corner.

Glad to hear that I wont go blind from drinking this... I'll have to avoid sharp sticks though.

I'll post a pic when I get home tonight.

- magno

Every once in a while we get someone here who insists on using bread yeast. (understand I'm not putting you in this category, I know this is just an interesting experiment for ya )

the use of bread yeast is a very old and very common practice in some circles. here in sc - where i live there is a section called "the dark corner". this is where the moonshiners all did their thing. the peach, scuffadine, watermelon, strawberry, et al wine recipes that include bread yeast are quite ccommon and i've seen people in our local hbs picking up supplies to do this very thing. if i happen to be there i'll try to convince them to use some wine yeast at the very least - but a lot of them are older and have been doing this for years and years.

homebrewer_99 said:
No need. Just snip a corner to drain the yeast (instant conical fermenter) and seal it with a rubberband or duct tape.:drunk:

Wasteful! If it's any good you'll want to pour your next batch on the yeast cake.

What flavor Gatorade? Think the yeast will produce too many esters?

The fermentation looks like it is slowing down after about 23 hours, so I sealed the bag. I will burp it if it starts to fill up (dont want this all over the closet).

346%3A%3B%3C895%7Ffp346%3Enu%3D3233%3E665%3E554%3E23246656458%3C5ot1lsi

- magno

magno said:

For a second there, I thought you had somehow attached a carboy cap and airlock to the bag.

Also

magno said:
I made me some prison hooch:

3/4 cup table sugar
1/2 cup orange gatorade mix
6 cups water
most of a jar of fleishmans yeast

OG: 1.070

I don't think the prisoners use hydrometers. :)

From the label on the gatorade tin:

Ingredients: sucrose, dextrose, citric acid, salt, sodiun citrate, natural lemon and lime flavors with other natural flavors, monopotassium phosphate, yellow 5

ooops I had thought it was orange gatorade, its lemon-lime.

According to the mixing instructions, I used enough powder for half a gallon of mix.

- magno

And yeah, cheesefood, its kinda stinky.

magno said:
And yeah, cheesefood, its kinda stinky.

Well think of it this way... in prohibbition they drank a lot worst and lived.

(threads like this get me in a real thankfull mood..... thankfull I'm not magno's roomate....)

I say send a sample to Walker-San first..... them Ninja are supposed to survive anything.... and anyways he past 3,000 posts.... he's said just about everything he has had to say..... :D

So i kinda put the prison hooch on the back burner. I bottled it a few days ago and it smelled pretty rancid. A bunch more yeast settled out in the bottles, and it is actually clarifying nicely. SG at bottling was an impressive 0.999!

- magno

Back