Conditioning time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmo1642

Reaction score
Brewed a peanut butter stout. I really want to test it. How long should I wait after bottling it to sample it???

mattmo1642 said:
Brewed a peanut butter stout. I really want to test it. How long should I wait after bottling it to sample it???

Give it a week to prime and pop one open

What is the abv? In my opinion, opening a bottle after only a week of conditioning is a waste, I do certainly understand your impatience though.

It usually takes quite a bit longer than a week to condition a beer, especially a flavored stout. The flavors might not be blended just yet and you may be dissappointed. Or it will be great.

I am on the same page with ColoHox. Being a stout, I am assuming a higher ABV, which would require more in the range of 3+ weeks to carbonate properly. As well, a little more conditioning time can only improve on the flavoring composition. It is always hard to have patience at this point in the process. Of course there is nothing wrong with testing one, just don't be disappointed, as age should only make it better. :mug:

I agree 3 weeks is a minimum amount of time to carb any beer let alone a stout with peanut butter in it.

I would let that age/condition for 3 months or more.

Also don't forget, when you put it in the fridge leave it for 3 days so the co2 in the headspace of the bottle has time to get into solution.

Why go through all the process of making a potentially great beer and drink it before it becomes great.

Cheers :mug:

I agree 3 weeks is a minimum amount of time to carb any beer let alone a stout with peanut butter in it.

I would let that age/condition for 3 months or more.

Also don't forget, when you put it in the fridge leave it for 3 days so the co2 in the headspace of the bottle has time to get into solution.

Why go through all the process of making a potentially great beer and drink it before it becomes great.

Cheers :mug:

This ^^^^^^^^^^^, in all respects.

I went for it. Tastes great so far. It's going to be amazing in 2 more weeks. Thx!

image-636933378.jpg

Back