Kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Stosh

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been looking all over the web for info on this question, and I think I already know the answer but will ask anyway to be sure.

Is it possible for homebrewere making 10+ gallon batches to keg beer in kegs larger (1/4 "pony") kegs? I've seen and read all about kegging your beer in corny kegs, but can you go larger? I have to assume that this would involve more equipment that the standard type used to fill the corny's.

Does anyone have any info on this, or know where I could find info?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.:rolleyes:

Big Stosh said:
Hello all,

I've been looking all over the web for info on this question, and I think I already know the answer but will ask anyway to be sure.

Is it possible for homebrewere making 10+ gallon batches to keg beer in kegs larger (1/4 "pony") kegs? I've seen and read all about kegging your beer in corny kegs, but can you go larger? I have to assume that this would involve more equipment that the standard type used to fill the corny's.

Does anyone have any info on this, or know where I could find info?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.:rolleyes:

Possible, yes.

Expensive fittings and the difficulty in cleaning are reasons this is not a popular solution. Fitting provides limited access to the keg. Sankey tap is $30+ vs 2 $3 connectors.

Also 2 cornies can cost you $30 - 50. That's about the same cost as a keg on the Black/Grey market. New would be $100++.

Thanks for the info. I've researched corny kegs and will be buying some shortly, but have to admit I had dreams of going right to 1/4 (pony) kegs if at all practical.
Speaking of corny kegs, I'm reading the ball lock are usually preferable to the pin lock type.

Any experience with this?
Thanks

I believe ball-lock (Pepsi) type cornies are easier to find than pin-lock (Coke) cornies. The fittings for both cost the same. I don't think it matters which one you use. Just keep the availability in mind and plan on using one style. Although for $10~$15 for a pair of fittings, it might not matter. You could pick up any kind of corny you find and be able to use it. Just use quick disconnects for your CO2 tank/manifold and faucets.

I've had some annoying experiences with pin-lock kegs where the pins won't latch and you get sprayed. Ball locks don't open the poppet valve until the balls are seated.

Back