If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdub

Reaction score
Made a MAOM(1 gallon so reduced everything, except the honey - used 3 pounds. Wasn't paying attention, but it should still be fine i hope. if not, oh well, it's a gallon)

My problem is measuring the SG. Honey wants no part of staying in solution. How can I measure my SG? I am sure this has been covered, and I imagine I've even come across the answer at some point, but can't recall.

UPDATE
So, I found something that would fit into the carboy, washed and sterilized it for some time, and then set to stirring. Seems that simple problems often come with simple solutions.

The result then is a gravity of 1.100
With the yeast I have(Sweet Mead) it seems this will dry it out. So then, for a slightly sweet finished product, can I add a 1/2 pound of honey, or is my math off? Right now, it will finish out just shy of 1.000. It seems like a 1/2 lbs increase should be just enough to get that into the mildly sweet spot...But, this is my first mead, and I am not exactly built to do math.

Basically, I want a slightly sweet final product, but am unsure as to what that means in terms of sugars and this yeast...

Thanks
Brandon

The result then is a gravity of 1.100
With the yeast I have(Sweet Mead) it seems this will dry it out. So then, for a slightly sweet finished product, can I add a 1/2 pound of honey, or is my math off? Right now, it will finish out just shy of 1.000. It seems like a 1/2 lbs increase should be just enough to get that into the mildly sweet spot...But, this is my first mead, and I am not exactly built to do math.

Which sweet mead yeast is that, Wyeast or White Labs?

I ask because the Wyeast strain has a low ABV tolerance - perhaps 12% and will probably poop out with a little residual sugar even starting with a gravity of 1.100. That fact that it tends to be finicky means it may stall even sooner leaving you sweeter than expected. Your best bet may be to let it finish as much as it will, and if it is not sweet enough for your tastes at that point, then add a little more honey to get it where you want it. You probably won't need 1/2 pound unless you like it syrupy sweet.

Medsen

Medsen

I am using the the Wyeast. I thought I read it would top out at 14% and that is why i was worried. As it stands, 12%, even a bit less, will leave 1.5% or so unfermented. While not sure, that sounds like a nice touch of sweet.

Thanks

Can someone link me to MAOM? Search only turns up 100 references to it, but not the actual recipe. Thanks!

Back