Magic Chef 7.2 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer Hinge question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bean

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings All!

I have a Magic Chef 7.2 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer, the one with the lip the lid or collar locks into. I was wondering if anyone in here has this model and has it setup with either the hinges on the collar / freezer (vs the collar / lid) or has a setup where you can open the keezer from both the collar and lid.

I am looking to set mine up so I can open the unit from the collar and the lid and want to know what hinges you used and if the lip on the top of the freezer gets in the way when you are trying to open it from the collar section.

Thanks

I have this model and have converted two of them and am on a third. One is a 5 tap keezer and the other two are ferm chambers. I have been planning on starting a thread re: the measurements for cuts and such this weekend once I get a chance.

Basically, I use a 1 X 8 tongue and groove board and cut good 45 degrees with a mider saw so as to assemble like a picture frame. That way the tongues and grooves line up and the tongue slips into the lid groove as well as the rubber skirt slips in real well to the board groove, not needing any glue, etc. If you get the measurements right, it's snug enough into the lid to hold it there without any attachment really, but I put in a couple L brackets just to be sure. Insulate how you want, mine is rigid foam insulation.

The stock hinges are definitely strong enough for that. On the keezer, I have my taps on the side, not the front, so I can't attest to more than that, but it's all good.

I put casters on mine so I can roll the whole chamber over to the brewhouse to fill the empty Sanke fermenter in place from the boil kettle--but aside from that my point is that you can't put it up against the wall unless you have it on casters or it is like 10 inches from the wall, so that's a consideration regarding placement.

I have had it up and running for about a year now. When I did my collar I used a 2/10 which is great because I can store a case in the top when it is fully loaded. I currently have the collar resting in the groove and the hinges are attached to the lid and collar. This is a great setup but once you get all the has a liquid hardware in there it can get a little tricky getting the kegs in and out.

So, I am thinking that I would use the standard hinges the unit came with and put them on the freezer/ collar and then get something new for the collar/ lid set (spring loaded would be the bomb)

This is all just a thought and like SankePankey said I would have to pull the unit a foot off the wall to be able to open it at the collar so I guess I would have to build a base on wheels too.

On my 15 gal corny chamber I had to get a 1X10 tongue & groove to fit the height. Had to go to a lumber yard. Still works well w/ stock hinges (no taps tho).

www.castercity.com and some brackets from HD. I'd take pics but I just broke my arm yesterday. Sweetness!:(

Latest posts

Back