How essential is a constant temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How essential is a constant temperature? I have my primary is the basement. The temperature on reads anywhere between 60-68 degrees. Is it okay that the temperature fluctuates? Also, I for I did not measure the OG. I am brewing a Irish Red Ale, from Midwest Supplies. With Munton's 6gm dry yeast. Is it still possible to find the alcohol content?

You could estimate the alcohol % but it won't be exact. It will probably be around 4 or 5 %.

A constant temperature is really only a big deal for the first 2-5 days when the fermentation is most active.

It's not ideal for the temperature to fluctuate but if it's only 8 degrees, as long as it's not very fast, I would think it's OK.

If you used extract, your actual OG is going to be almost exactly what you anticipated so you can just use that number as your OG. If you're doing a partial mash or all-grain, you are out of luck on figuring your OG out accurately.

If you're talking about the ambient air temp ranging from 60-68 in a 24 hour period, I wouldn't worry about it. 5 gallons of beer will have a pretty constant temp. If the fluctuations are slower, the beer might actually have time to catch up, but daily fluctuations of a few degrees around a pretty constant average will give you a pretty stable beer temp.

It is not the ambient temperature. What would be the best way to control the temperature in my cool basement? I saw some devices somewhere. I don't remember what they are called or where?

Buy a $3 plastic tub from WallyWorld. Submerge the fermenter in water at desired temp. The larger the mass of liquid there is the less the surrounding fluctuations in temp will affect it.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back