Oxygenating Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
So, after 3 batches of all-grain, I've discovered something after listening to 'Sunday Session' from Beer Network....I've never oxygenated my wort in any way.

It seems like there's 4 options of doing so-- shaking carboy, aquarium pump w/ filter & stone, pure Oxygen pumped in, and pumping in oxygen as cooled wort transfers from kettle to carboy (usually reserved for actual breweries).

What have ya'll done and how's your success been? It seems like I need to make this step a priority from now on!

In my opinion either shake the carboy or use pure oxygen. If you have to pay for a stone & pump , sanitize it and a tube why pump air when you can use pure O2?

Dr Vorlauf said:
In my opinion either shake the carboy or use pure oxygen. If you have to pay for a stone & pump , sanitize it and a tube why pump air when you can use pure O2?

I haven't seen much one where/how to acquire an Oxygen tank. Morebeer seems to have an aeration system for 30 bucks...does it cost much more to use Oxygen?

sigmund said:
I use a small paint stirrer and my cordless drill.
I do that as well, but I am moving to a pure O2 dose as well. Need a little help for my high gravity brews.

You can buy the small O2 tanks for around $10 at well stocked hardware stores. OR you could go get a big welding O2 tank and regulator.

Some research on teh internetz has revealed that the easiest way seems to be getting a disposable O2 tank at the local hardware store and then you can either get a system through Morebeer for $35 w/o a rod or about $50 elsewhere w/ a rod.

I think this is the route I'm going-- After listening to brewing network over the past few weeks, I've come to realize that pure 02 is the best way for the moolah.

Bobby_M said:
If you run the o2 slowly for 60 seconds per batch, you should get 8-10 batches out of one tank. That's less than $1 extra per batch since the tanks are about $8.

I saw your video on Youtube-- I need to watch it. Do you suggest using one of the rods that connect the tubing to the stone or just tubing? Any suggestions on where to buy? (Need it by Saturday)

I used an acrylic tube to hold the airstone but I do like that stainless wand deal. Williams Brewing has the kit pretty cheap last I checked. You might be able to get the stone to sink attached to just tubing, but I haven't tried it.

Bobby_M said:
I used an acrylic tube to hold the airstone but I do like that stainless wand deal. Williams Brewing has the kit pretty cheap last I checked. You might be able to get the stone to sink attached to just tubing, but I haven't tried it.

You're right...that's a great price. Is an in-line filter necessary w/ pure O2?

I dump the full volume of wort into the carboy with big funnel. It splashes all over the inside of the carboy and foams up alot. When I pitch the yeast, many times the kreusen forms before the initial foam dies down. Seems to work pretty well.

I think I'm going to agitate this time and go pure O2 in a month or so when I do my next string of batches. Usually I do use a funnel and it does splash a lot, and that's all I've done aeration-related in the past. I've been happy, but I don't know the potential of great aeration. I'll give it one of hell of a shake too.

I've also considered trying something I haven't read about yet-- A Carboy Magnetic Stir Plate. You'd figure a whirlpool in the carboy would really get some good oxygen in there and help bring down particle matter even more...maybe even better w/ some O2 being pumped in....thoughts?

What kind of stone is used? Can you use an Aquarium stone with pure o2?

ron1guz said:
What kind of stone is used? Can you use an Aquarium stone with pure o2?

My understanding is that you use a stainless steel stone-- pretty cheap on Morebeer.com... a few dollars or something.

Back