Rye IPA/APA Recipe Feedback - All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sully14

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been brewing all grain for just under a year now, but have yet to make my own recipe. This is my first attempt, and i would like to hear some opinions or suggestions on this recipe. I formulated this after reading the "bitters and pale ale" section of "Designing Great Beers", and trying to follow the guidelines at the end of the chapter, plus reading other Rye IPA/APA recipes on these forums and in magazines.

Volume: 10
90 Minute Boil
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.071
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.018
Efficiency 75%

Grain Bill:

22 lbs - Rahr 2-Row (80.73%)
3 lbs - Rye Malt (11.07%)
1 lb - Crystal 40 (3.67%)
1 lb - Victory (3.67%)
4 oz - Chocolate Malt (.92%)

Mash @ 153º for 60 minutes

Hops:

Galena 0.50 oz First Wort
Chinook 1.5 oz 90 Minutes
Simcoe 1.5 oz 90 Minutes
Amarillo 2 oz 15 Minutes
Chinook 2 oz 5 Minutes
Chinook 2 oz Dry Hop
Citra 1 0z Dry Hop

Danstar BRY-97 West Coast Ale Yeast starter - 4 Liter

Thanks,
Chris

My 2 cents- I have made a few Rye Ales and love em.
for 10 gallons- double your rye( i used 3lbs for 5 gallons)
- double your hops to 4 oz
also a 90 min boil was not necessary for my 5 gallon batches.
cheers.

Awesome, i'll double the Rye.
As for the hops, you are saying just double my 2 oz additions and leave the others where they are?

Thank you, much appreciated.

Don't forget that rye is really sticky, and when mashed, has a tendency to stick to your false bottom.
I would use some rice hulls if you're going to use 4+ lbs.

Thanks, i actually was thinking about that. I'm not using a false bottom, I have a converted keg with a copper manifold. I'll pick up some rices to be sure i don't stick it.

For the hops, those amounts listed are about what I used for 5 gallons, so I would double them all up. Only thing I have only read, no experience is the Citra. I heard it is pretty potent, so not sure if doubling that would hurt, help or do the same.

I've used Citra and it has a unique aroma and flavor. Pretty much what you read... tropical fruity kind of thing.

Back