Coffin Keezer question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
Now this may seem stupid, but im genuinely interested to know if it would work...

For coffin keezers the main issue seems to be keeping the coffin and tap lines cold, so you have fans to deal with this, and everyone seems to use insulation in the coffin as well to keep it chilly.

My question is, why have a lid on the freezer to begin with? Could you not hinge on the collar, and have no freezer lid? As in just have a flat "tabletop" board across your collar with a hole the size of your coffin cut in it? Therefore basically you are just extending the freezer upwards to encompass the coffin too, wouldnt this remove the need for bothering with air flow across taps, etc? Or is it just too inefficient and hard to keep everything cold that high up?

Hi

Yes you could put a 20" tall collar and top on the freezer. It would be a bit massive and you probably could not use the original hinges.

Given that the gizmo is likely to cost you $800 to $1600, the (~$20) cost of the computer fans is pretty minor. You likely would spend more than that on additional wood to build the super collar.

The nice thing about the coffin tower is that it gives you a "table" next to the faucets to set stuff like empty / full glassware. As long as you don't go to crazy it's actually easier to build than a collar setup.

Bob

Hi

Yes you could put a 20" tall collar and top on the freezer. It would be a bit massive and you probably could not use the original hinges.

Given that the gizmo is likely to cost you $800 to $1600, the (~$20) cost of the computer fans is pretty minor. You likely would spend more than that on additional wood to build the super collar.

The nice thing about the coffin tower is that it gives you a "table" next to the faucets to set stuff like empty / full glassware. As long as you don't go to crazy it's actually easier to build than a collar setup.

Bob

Not sure you understood what i meant, i agree doing that would be expensive to do what your stating. Im not really talking about a super collar

Right now the stanard Coffin Keezer i see on here is like this from the top down

Coffin
Table Top
Freezer Lid
Collar
Freezer Body
Floor

Why couldnt it be

Coffin
Table Top
Collar
Freezer Body
Floor

Basically remove the entire freezer lid, and where you put your coffin on your table top cut a hole below it inside, therefore allowing air from the freezer directly up into the coffin....i would think if you insulated the underside of the table top, and inside the coffin it would be a possible method to keep the coffin on top cool rather than using fans. You would then hinge on the collar to the freezer body, if anything it would be lighter than the other method because you dont have the heavy freezer lid, just some wood (your collar + table top + coffin).

I guess i dont understand why people are keeping the freezer lid on their keezers when they are already creating a lid via the table top. It just seems like it would require way more w ork to cut a big ass hole into the freezer lid to set up fans.

Well, that would really mess with it's ability to hold in temp. The lid is designed to keep the temp in. While you still have to insulate the collar I wouldn't think it would help the integrity of the freezer to remove the lid. There's also power going to my lid for the light but that's not extremely important.

But as far as the theory goes, cold air is heavier so without a fan the ambient temp of the room will warm the coffin because it's less insulated and the cold air the freezer is kicking out will TEND to stay at the bottom. A fan is PRETTY much a necessity with a coffin. Just the nature of the beast. Heck, even with a collar I'd still want a fan just to circulate the air. Any modification to the body of the freezer brings in to question how well it's going to maintain an even temp.

Just my 2¢

+1 on deadboys comments. You are going to lose the factory seal of the original lid and the insulation properties that it contains. With cold air being denser than warm air it obviously sinks. I'm not certain that the cold ambient environment created within the chest freezer would be effective in adequately cooling the coffin without fans directing the denser cold air upwards into the coffin. Too large of an opening in the "wood" lid leading up into the coffin chamber would really work agains your goal of keep cold air in the coffin. I'm afraid that you might see a big temperature differential between the elevated coffin and lower in the chest freezer, despite them being a single combined space. The smaller the space to be cooled in addition to the chest freezer and the use of intake + exhaust fans circulating cold air across the shanks/lines in a small confined channel created out of insulation has been the best solution that I have found.

As long as the collar and wooden lid that you are proposing are adequately insulated with a sufficient seal and hinges that support it, then in theory you could certainly get away with losing the factory lid all together. On the other hand, I still think that you will need a way to circulate the cold air upwards into the coffin space in some fashion. Good luck! If you consider the inductor fan + channel route, I'm happy to help. :mug:

Not sure you understood what i meant, i agree doing that would be expensive to do what your stating. Im not really talking about a super collar

Right now the stanard Coffin Keezer i see on here is like this from the top down

Coffin
Table Top
Freezer Lid
Collar
Freezer Body
Floor

Why couldnt it be

Coffin
Table Top
Collar
Freezer Body
Floor

Basically remove the entire freezer lid, and where you put your coffin on your table top cut a hole below it inside, therefore allowing air from the freezer directly up into the coffin....i would think if you insulated the underside of the table top, and inside the coffin it would be a possible method to keep the coffin on top cool rather than using fans. You would then hinge on the collar to the freezer body, if anything it would be lighter than the other method because you dont have the heavy freezer lid, just some wood (your collar + table top + coffin).

I guess i dont understand why people are keeping the freezer lid on their keezers when they are already creating a lid via the table top. It just seems like it would require way more w ork to cut a big ass hole into the freezer lid to set up fans.

Hi

I would recommend:

Coffin
Table top = freezer lid
Freezer body
Floor

One big plus with a coffin is that you can do away with the collar. I've built a number of keezers that way and they do quite well with a reasonable sized freezer.

Bob

Back