managing a sour starter culture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deputyandy

Reaction score
What's the consensus on keeping a sour starter from dregs alive? I recently bought a house and am looking forward to having a place to let a sour go for a few years, but money is tight and it might be 3-4 weeks before i can have a good brew day. In the mean time, i have several sour ales i was planning on using dregs from to make the sour and i have a problem with not drinking them for 3-4 weeks.

If i made a small starter, drank one sour and pitched the dregs, would it still be viable in a month? i'm assuming i'd have to refeed it which isn't a problem. I'd probably pitch dregs from several (maybe up to 5) sour commercials over that length of time. Thoughts?

Thanks Apache. Do you think a prolonged starter (3-4 weeks) would need more wort added at some point? i'm going to be adding multiple dregs over the course of the starter

To be quite frank, if you pitch them into a starter it'll probably take them atleast a week or longer just to show any fermentation. 3-4 weeks should work out well in my opinion. I wouldn't even worry about it.

Yeah, quite possibly any Sacc in those dregs has died, but the bretts and bacterium will keep rockin, 3-4 weeks should be no problem.

I think I would pour the dregs into a bottle with some starter wort and some dregs from a recent homebrew (to get some viable sacc yeast), cover with foil and let ferment. Once fermented out with the sacc, cap and store in the fridge. It will probably keep for a couple of years.

Back