Need some help with making labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awarner322

Reaction score
I have an IPA recipe that my dad really likes. I brewed it up recently and just got it carbed up in the keg. I usually only bottle off my keg if I need a quick six pack or something. But I am thinking about bottling a case for my dad for his birthday and thought it would be cool to make some labels. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I see a few beer label generators on here that look good. Should I take a pdf to a place that prints them? Or is there a paper worth buying and doing it myself?

Thanks in advance

There are a lot of options. Avery sells sticker sheets that are shaped like wine labels (square sides/bottom, curved top); simply print using your home printer and stick onto the bottles. Or you can print on normal paper (or patterned paper), cut them out manually, and stick them on (glue stick, thick paste of milk powder + water, etc, work). If you lack a good colour printer, any decent print shop will do the job - plus many shops carry fancy paper, giving you that option without having to spend a lot on a whole pack of paper.

In terms of design, the sky's the limit. Using word (or free options like open office) you can load up the label templates and make simple text-only or text + inserted image labels. There are some label-generating webpages, which'll make you simple labels for free, or fancy ones for a nominal fee. If you're comfortable with computer-based drawing programs free (i.e. GIMP and Inkscape) or paid (i.e. photoshop, illustrator) raster and vector based drawing programs can be used to create amazing labels. There are even graphic designers (some of whom I think are on this board) who'll design you amazing labels for a fee.

I'm not sure this info helps, as its really a matter of personal preference. Personally, I like the DIY method, but I'm slow at the drawing portion and a bit of a perfectionist, so it takes a lot of time. YMMV.

Bryan

Just started out with brewing, but wanted to make a label for my beer. Yes looked at the online options... Wasn't going to do it for me. Just wanted something simple. I had a special trip coming up and definitely needed labels. The men's 50th fishing trip. I took funny pictures of the guys that I had and made my labels with that in photoshop elements. Then used wide packaging clear tape. It was a giant hit... Hobo Beer!

image-1832837817.jpg

Latest posts

Back