Recirculation takes forever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseL

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon mash tun/HLT combo. I recently switched out the stainless steel coil that came with the mash tun for a false bottom, as I'd read that it's a more efficient method for lautering when fly sparging. Since I did that, I've had a really hard time getting to the clear wort during recirculation. There's a lot of particulate matter, and although it goes down with subsequent rounds of recirculation, it never really goes away. It doesn't look like grain husk, so I'm not worried about getting tannins in my beer, but has anyone else had this problem when switching to a false bottom? Do I need to change the settings on the grain mill at my brew shop?

How's your false bottom fitting in your kettle? nice and tight? Maybe post a pic of your empty kettle with the false bottom in it?

Check to see if you can push it all the way to one side and if there's a small gap across from it. You might need to line the FB with tubing.

Check to see if you can push it all the way to one side and if there's a small gap across from it. You might need to line the FB with tubing.

You know, there might be just enough space there to cause the problems I'm having. Not being mechanically inclined (I'm lost in a hardware store), what kind of tubing should I use, and how should I attach it?

You know, there might be just enough space there to cause the problems I'm having. Not being mechanically inclined (I'm lost in a hardware store), what kind of tubing should I use, and how should I attach it?

That depends on how big of a gap you have.

Mine was pretty small, and actually came out to be perfect-size for the regular 1/2" silicone tubing we brewers use. I cut it down the middle on one side and slipped it over the edge.

BJjrr.jpg

I've also seen plenty of people run it under the FB though. Honestly that's probably the easier and maybe better way to do it.

Latest posts

Back