Yeast washing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rollinred

Reaction score
I just decided last week to start washing my yeast and reusing it in starters for the extra insurance of healthy yeast. I know most of you will say that it is a good step to take but I will say that I was nervous in doing so since a packet of dry yeast is so cheap and made the extra work of washing not worth it. But after having two consecutive packs of Nottingham not ferment I decided it was time to step it up a notch.

I am using the Bernie Brewer Method of washing and have just a couple of questions involving this method.

Lets say I transfer the beer into my kegs and then immediately cap it back off, will the yeast still remain uncontaminated for a couple of days? I simply don't have the time to do both a bottling/kegging day and also wash the yeast. That is what happens when you have two children and a full time job plus college. If it is all right to put the airlock and stopper back in and let it sit for a day or two I will be doing this for a lot of my brews.

The other question was about temperature of the water used when washing. In the tutorial, Bernie Brewer said to chill the water. Should it really be chilled past the temp of the yeast? I would imagine it would be much better to set the water filled mason jars in a sink and fill it with cold water to get it near room temp rather than risk chilling to far. Hey, I am usually wrong so maybe it is best to chill it way down then dump in.

You should use Bolied water that has been cooled. Tap water has BACTERIA in it.

As long as you leave some beer on top of the trub/yeast cake, it will be fine to sit for a few days and Sacdan is right, use boiled water that has been cooled.

I would imagine it would be much better to set the water filled mason jars in a sink and fill it with cold water to get it near room temp rather than risk chilling to far.

FWIW, I'm not sure Mason jars will handle going from pot to cold water bath.

What I do when I wash yeast is prepare the water the day before. Then the day I keg I can wash it right after filling the keg.

Back