3-Tier Brew Stand Plans... Anyone have some?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reddskinnfan

Reaction score
So I recently acquired two used Sanke kegs (legally), and am interested in making a 3-tiered system. My hope is to use one as a HLT, and the other as my boil kettle. I will continue to use my 70 qt Coleman Xtreme as my MLT for now.

I am looking for options, costs, and plans, for a 3-tiered system that will accommodate this. I am not a welder and don't currently know one (If you live in my area and can help with this problem, please let me know).

My total budget for this adventure is $250.00, and the stand w/top tier keggle on it can't be taller than 7'. I already have some burners that I can reuse, so that isn't a big deal.

Anyhow, if you are able to help getting me started, please chime in!

I made up plans for a 3-tier stand, but I have yet to build it. I'm still gathering materials and such.

This is an image from the CAD file I have with plans for each piece of the whole. I can send you the whole plans as PDF if you are interested.

BrewStand 1.jpg

No. I use a Bayou Classic burner (can't remember the number) and I currently set it on some planks resting on overturned milk-crates. This sits beside a collapsable table. I've never has any problems with it. The distance from the lower tier to the middle tier is large enough that I would really have to crank open the burner for it to become a concern, and opening it that far, just wastes fuel :)

Here's what I did:

It's not the cheapest way to go but

I got 2 folding metal scaffolds from Home Depot ($99 each). On the top rung
of the first scaffold sits a banjo burner with the HLT (Hot Liquid Tank). There's
a bridge between the 2 scaffolds made of 2 each 1"x 8"s at the mid level rung
that holds the MLT (Mash Lauter Tun). On the lowest level of the 2nd
scaffold sits the banjo burner and boil pot. Which is just high enough to allow
gravity flow into the fermenter (4 level) which sits on the floor.

I use several drinking water quaility hoses to get the strike water into the HLT. I never have to lift anything until I take the fermenter to the basement.
I use a handtruck to move the fermenters to the basement.

Something that I thought about but have yet to try is moving to boiled wort to the basement in Corny kegs via handtruck then using compressed air to move the wort from the corny into fermenters that sit up on shelves. This would help aerate the wort in addition to moving it up high so I could start the gravity flow process again.

On the minus side this set up takes up more room than a dedicated brew stand when its in full operation. On the plus side the scaffolds fold up to store in a very small space and are easily portable, they have lockable wheels which also affords a great deal of portability and they are useful to me for a variety of other functions. Additionally there is also enough room to add another HLT, MLT and Boil Pot so I could double what I’m doing now if I wanted to, which I do and almost have all the equipment to do so.

You could make a 3 level out of 1 scaffold by making a bottom shelf out of
2 each 1x8’s and count the floor as your 3rd level the top level could easily hold 2 burners with 2 each 25 gallon pots, same goes for the home-made bottom level.

Here is what I have been doing. Got the idea from another guy on this forum.

This should be completed this evening. I have some support braces that I want to put up, and then it's on to a stress test for weight. I still don't have burners, as they are still in transit...

Almost there... Just need to attach the 12" support pieces for each of the burner stands. This will allow for support of the kegs, plus leave plenty of room for the burner, without torching any of the steel. Should stay strong for a long time!

Let me know what you guys think so far... Total cost for this project is at $150. That includes the slotted angle iron/steel and the nuts, bolts, and washers. Not bad, if you ask me.

You may consider a diagonal support if the stand has any side play. There will be a lot of hot water weight on there, plus the forces of stirring the mash.

I am going to be doing a stress test today, once I finish the keg supports for the bottom and top tier. I ordered a counterflow chiller and pump from AHS. Great prices! $70 for the counterflow and $130 for the pump...

Anyhow, by next weekend this thing should be ready for a brew!

P.S. I am not seeing any play at the moment, and the support structure for the MT isn't what I am worried about, it's the supports for the kegs. I am thinking that I could always a diagonal side support on both ends of the stand, keep it from shimmying that way.

Sorry about the delay and getting back to you guys. I did a stress test and everything looks good. Both kegs and the 70qt cooler were full, and I didn't see any play in the frame.

Here are some pics:

Stand from an angle:

Bottom burner picture:

Side burner picture:

Stress test picture:

Let me know what you guys think! Any other suggestions would be great too!

Here are some more pics of my converted kegs... Let me know what you guys think!

Welds:

img0079qk.jpg

img0080i.jpg

img0082zv.jpg

img0089dj.jpg

Keggles:

img0090hp.jpg

img0091jm.jpg

Thanks for all of the support, and I hope someone else can use this info for a build!

I really like the setup of your stand! I may end up with something very close to that for my stand in the future.

If you dont mind, what height (roughly) are the different platforms at? How tall is the top of the HLT when it is on top of the stand?

Great Job!

I made up plans for a 3-tier stand, but I have yet to build it. I'm still gathering materials and such.

This is an image from the CAD file I have with plans for each piece of the whole. I can send you the whole plans as PDF if you are interested.
I was wondering if I could get the plans to your 3 tier brew stand? I really like the setup. It would be greatly appreciated.

Back