I now will invade the Cheese Making Forum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeatyPortion

Internet Bartender
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got a starter Mozzarella kit from AustinHomeBrew and made my first batch. The wife loved it, I loved it, and even the dog loved it (after looking it over once or twice). I'm now interested in trying something probably very difficult: Mizithra

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mizithra

I know it's made with goat or sheep milk and whey but I don't have that and I'm wondering if I can substitute cow's milk and whey or just the whey.

By the way: here's the Caprese salad my wife and I made with the cheese.

IMAG0084.jpg

I'd just try it with the cow's milk. It might not turn out exactly how you expect, but I sure it will be edible.

a resident of wisconsin makin their own cheese is the real faux pas. :p

Faux pas is under appreciated. :D

On a serious note, how easy was the cheese kit from AHS? Every time I'm placing an order there I consider cheese, but I haven't read up on it enough to ever pull the trigger. But making fresh mozzarella in the coming months would be perfect with all the fresh garden tomatoes ripening.

and was it the harder 'american' mozz or the hand kneaded type? i've tried the kneaded one a few times, but never had too much luck.

The AHS mozz is definitely the harder "American" type. I've made it a couple of times but frankly I'm not that big of a fan. Mostly I use the kit ingredients to make softer cheeses now. I inadvertently made a brie-type cheese once by making a small round of soft cheese and forgetting it uncovered in the fridge. The outside formed a rind and the inside ripened really nicely! :D

The AHS mozz is definitely the harder "American" type. I've made it a couple of times but frankly I'm not that big of a fan. Mostly I use the kit ingredients to make softer cheeses now. I inadvertently made a brie-type cheese once by making a small round of soft cheese and forgetting it uncovered in the fridge. The outside formed a rind and the inside ripened really nicely! :D

i've made some very good cheese by making a chevre, then adding some mold from a storebought blue. all the taste of a great blue cheese, but with a smooth, creamy texture that was incredible. :mug:

Faux pas is under appreciated. :D

On a serious note, how easy was the cheese kit from AHS? Every time I'm placing an order there I consider cheese, but I haven't read up on it enough to ever pull the trigger. But making fresh mozzarella in the coming months would be perfect with all the fresh garden tomatoes ripening.
Easy as pie.

and was it the harder 'american' mozz or the hand kneaded type? i've tried the kneaded one a few times, but never had too much luck.
That stuff was pretty soft and easy to work with (in my limited experience).

Before today, I have never even thought about making my own cheese. I'll have to add it to the "to-do..sometime...eventually" list.

a resident of wisconsin makin their own cheese is the real faux pas. :p

I'm from Wisconsin, was also a cheese maker for years.

If the residents didn't make their own cheese back before the big factories how do you think it would have ever become the cheese state? 😜

I don't know about that specific kit, but there are a ton of similarities between beer brewing and cheese making.

When you're starting out with Mozz, you're adding enzyme to a product, and trying to maintain a certain temp over a significant amount of time (I believe it is about an hour?).

When you try making cheddar, you even start adding microorganisms to "ferment" the stuff, again trying to keep the product at that microbe's favorite temp range. Then after pressing out the whey you prepare it for a little aging.

Edit: good grief @ophiuchus_99 you're digging up an old forum post here. I've got to learn to look at the date the threads I reply to were most active on.

I don't know about that specific kit, but there are a ton of similarities between beer brewing and cheese making.

When you're starting out with Mozz, you're adding enzyme to a product, and trying to maintain a certain temp over a significant amount of time (I believe it is about an hour?).

When you try making cheddar, you even start adding microorganisms to "ferment" the stuff, again trying to keep the product at that microbe's favorite temp range. Then after pressing out the whey you prepare it for a little aging.

Edit: good grief @ophiuchus_99 you're digging up an old forum post here. I've got to learn to look at the date the threads I reply to were most active on.

Oops, new to the forum thing. I'll check dates before replying from now on.

Back