Where to get an Oxygenation set-up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjlammer

Reaction score
I have been looking for an oxygenation set-up (for a o2 torch tank). The set-ups i am finding are like 50 dollars for a brass regulator and a stainless stone.

Pardon me for being a miser, but that regulator is just a small brass valve... seems a little expensive. anyone know where to get one of these on the cheap? maybe on that is not purposed for brewing specifically?

i'm just gonna use a crappy old propane torch head. I've had it for years and as long as it fits and doesn't leak, I'm using it.

Probably costs about $10 new for the torch, then add a $14 airstone and some $2 tubing.

Or just go with one of the deals above on your next order.

B

I also have one available for $34.99. I also have a 10% discount going on right now just to make things easier on the pocket book.

Thanks,

Ed

Crap, I just made a big order from you on Thursday, I could have bought the oxygen kit.

bad coffee said:
I'm just gonna use a crappy old propane torch head. I've had it for years and as long as it fits and doesn't leak, I'm using it.

Probably costs about $10 new for the torch, then add a $14 airstone and some $2 tubing.

Or just go with one of the deals above on your next order.

Its not gonna fit, I tried it already. I didnt want to spend a lot of money on a little valve either.

Will an O2 tank fit in place of a propane or MAPP gas tank on a standard "burnzomatic" type torch? I was thinking I could put an 02 tank on an old torch, put some vinyl tubing in place of the torch tip, and attach an airstone to that. Has anyone tried this approach?

Will an O2 tank fit in place of a propane or MAPP gas tank on a standard "burnzomatic" type torch? I was thinking I could put an 02 tank on an old torch, put some vinyl tubing in place of the torch tip, and attach an airstone to that. Has anyone tried this approach?

It would be awesome if that would work but sadly it will not. MAPP and Propane cylinders are right hand threads where the O2 cylinders are left handed.

Unfortunately through my research I haven't found anything cheaper than the $30-odd bucks for just the regulator plus the tank cost. I'd love to hear if anyone has another way.

I have been looking for an oxygenation set-up (for a o2 torch tank). The set-ups i am finding are like 50 dollars for a brass regulator and a stainless stone.

Pardon me for being a miser, but that regulator is just a small brass valve... seems a little expensive. anyone know where to get one of these on the cheap? maybe on that is not purposed for brewing specifically?

The more you over-think the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

Many, many homebrewers have had great success with s simple aquarium air pump and hose. Aerate the wort for 30 minutes, pitch the yeast, and then aerate for another 30 minutes. You may like to employ the type of in-line filter available from supply stores, but this is just an added cost.

The O2 is not for boiling. O2 is pumped into the wort for the yeast to use, at yeast pitching time.

ok let me re phrase that... what size volume of beer are you guys brewing that you use pure oxygen ?? do comercial breweries use o2 or just aerate ??

I have always just shook the bucket before pitching yeast, but I am looking to upgrade to 15 gallon batches now... would oxygen be something I should look into ? what other options are there ?

do comercial breweries use o2 or just aerate ??
I don't know which once use O2, sterile compressed air has been used for years.

I inject pure O2 during wort chilling, and filtered air around the clock for my starters.
The reason I started with pure O2 was the lack of a compressor, now I have one.
One of this days I try sterile compressed air.
An aquarium air pump would not work with my set-up, not enough
pressure to overcome the wort pump pressure in the injection system.
OxygenStone.jpg

O2 flow control & chiller wort out thermometer.

Oxygen_Flowmeter1.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I really don't know what I'm looking @ there... How does one create "sterile" compressed air ? I have a few air compressors in the house, would these not be acceptable due to not being sterile ? how do you sterilize air ??? :p

I'm assuming using pure o2 would be rather expensive would it not ???

ClaudiusB, What pressure or flow volume do you flow your Oxygen at? I have an aireator on my Chill Wizard and created foam in my wort last time. Made me wonder what the regulator should be set at. I also have a flowmeter that I have thought about using rather than a regulator.

ok let me re phrase that... what size volume of beer are you guys brewing that you use pure oxygen ?? do comercial breweries use o2 or just aerate ??

I have always just shook the bucket before pitching yeast, but I am looking to upgrade to 15 gallon batches now... would oxygen be something I should look into ? what other options are there ?

Many HBers use pure O2 to oxygenate their wort at pitching time, even 5 gallon brewers. Fermenter shaking or aquarium pumps add 'air', when what the yeast really need is O2. A 1 to 2 minute infusion is all that is needed. The 'Oxynator' (see Williams HBS) set the standard for home brew oxygenation.

And YES, even small micro breweries use O2 for fermentation, generally at transfer to ferm tanks, after cooling.

April1107004a.jpg

I really don't know what I'm looking @ there...
Wort aeration system, modeled after commercial units.
Aeration stone on the left.
Wort in from chiller, below gauge.
Flow control with gauge.
Wort thermometer on the right.
Wort flow control ball valve, controls flow to the fermenter.

How does one create "sterile" compressed air ?
Filter cartridges
I'm assuming using pure o2 would be rather expensive would it not ???
No, the volume we use is very small.

ClaudiusB, What pressure or flow volume do you flow your Oxygen at?
20 PSI at 300 CC/minute.
Above 300 CC too much foam, and lost O2.

Since the stone, HEPA filter, etc. have a large pressure drop the 20 PSI work well.
Wort pump pressure into the wort chiller is max 8 PSI
At this pressure no backflow problems.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

That single valve attachment to a disposable O2 bottle and they advertise it as a "regulator", what a joke and a misleading statement. That's chriminal to even allow such a claim or a dirty advertisement statement. It's a fat lie to the general public. Buyer beware. More Beer's page on the lower left hand corner they show a real true regulator with two gauges, one reading the bottle's high pressure side and the other for the low adjustable regulated pressure side. This is a true regulator not a valve called a regulator.

I had to vent on this one, back to the story.

Hell i've been using my 70 cu/ft oxygen bottle for many years off my welding cart, just wheel the whole cart assembly with the acetylene bottles, hoses and torch as if to weld next to the boil pot.
I use an adapter off the O2 hose at the torch to a male barb to a food grade hose to the stone. I rather not go off the torch with the tip removed (this is the Victor Avation torch with 1" long tips removable, the neck stays with the torch not like the larger newer tips with neck as one piece. They are now way too big for airframe welding) preventing any possibility of pulling out any residual acetylene that will be in the mixing chamber out of the torch into the wort. Just pure O2 thank you after boiling the end of the food grade hose and stone 10 minutes.
That is dirty advertising as far as i'm concerned to anyone that is unaware and a newbie to new and strange equipment. Bottom line the product sellers want your money and truth bending is one half azz way they can do it they will. Done ranting. Sorry members this one pissed me off I do not like people especially new around strange equipment to get ripped off. Moderators if this is too harsh of a statememt feel free to remove what is the truth. Carl.....

I don't know which once use O2, sterile compressed air has been used for years.

I inject pure O2 during wort chilling, and filtered air around the clock for my starters.
The reason I started with pure O2 was the lack of a compressor, now I have one.
One of this days I try sterile compressed air.
An aquarium air pump would not work with my set-up, not enough
pressure to overcome the wort pump pressure in the injection system.
OxygenStone.jpg

O2 flow control & chiller wort out thermometer.

Oxygen_Flowmeter1.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Dude, your brewery is insane!:off:

Back