Remove siphon tube from CO2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjwelna

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if I need to remove the dip-tube from the CO2 cylinder to use it for pushing/carbing kegs? I am picking up a 40# co2 cylinder tonight but it has a siphon tube in it from being used to fill paintball tanks. Or can I simply flip the tank upside down and not worry about freezing up the regulator? I'm getting it for 25 bucks from a guy I used to work for at a paintball shop locally.

Thanks! (btw I did use the search function it just wasn't 100% clear to me whether I could do this or not)

If the tank is empty, can I just remove the valve at the top of the cylinder and take off the siphon tube myself, then give it to a welding company to inspect/put back together/fill?

-Steve

Probably be best to flip it upside down for now. If you can find a suitable fire extinguisher rack you can rig a holder for it until it is empty. Then you can pull the tube if you want.

if it's got a good test date, trade it in for one without a tube when you get a refill. The gas place might even give you a couple of bucks off for trading 'down'

B

Just figured I'd update this. I called the local fire extinguisher place and they said they'd take out the siphon tube for me for about 15 bucks. Looks like I just scored a 40# CO2 tank for kegging for 40 bucks total! (plus a gas fill)

-Steve

Dang.. Got a picture of that bad boy? Nice score, even with the dip tub removal :)

Yeah, I think this is going to keep me going for a while! I read somewhere that a 20# tank would be good to carb and push in the range of 40 cornies, so I don't think I'll have to refill this monster for a few years! :cross:

I just picked up an 8.8 cu.ft chest freezer last night too for use as a keezer. I think this thing will fit at LEAST 7 cornies, possibly more with a collar.

-Steve

Latest posts

Back