American Pale Ale Lake Walk Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My OG was 1.061, maybe 1.062. I finished with little less than 5 gallons, maybe that is the biggest factor... but I think I'm doing ok on my efficiency, especially with only 3 AG batches done so far and batch sparging in a rectangular cooler.

Oohh... yummy... gravity at 1.011~1.012, tastes great already... I want to bottle but I'll wait a couple days...

Just brewed this recipe this weekend. While I was toasting the malt, my house smelled fantastic. Got it fermenting in a swamp cooler with US-05 direct sprinkle. However, I made an 'oops' and added the 20-minute simcoe addition @ 60 minutes along with the Amarillo. Beersmith says that will give me about 64 IBUs vs the 52 I wanted. Since I hit the OG at 1.053 bang-on, that makes it 1.2 IBU/SG instead of .98. I hope it doesn't taste like bug spray, but the wort smells like magic. Thanks, Dude!

Just brewed this recipe this weekend. While I was toasting the malt, my house smelled fantastic. Got it fermenting in a swamp cooler with US-05 direct sprinkle. However, I made an 'oops' and added the 20-minute simcoe addition @ 60 minutes along with the Amarillo. Beersmith says that will give me about 64 IBUs vs the 52 I wanted. Since I hit the OG at 1.053 bang-on, that makes it 1.2 IBU/SG instead of .98. I hope it doesn't taste like bug spray, but the wort smells like magic. Thanks, Dude!

Not to worry at all if you enjoy hoppy beer. You just made a "session IPA"

Here's a shot in the dark: has anyone tried to brew this with conan yeast? (a la Heady Topper)

Mine is about to finish its dry hop, so I had a taste last night (wow this is going to be good) and it seems like the type of brew that might benefit from conan's unique "bouquet". Just so happens that I have a massive starter of conan on its way. I think I will give that a try next time I brew it, but wanted to see if anyone had the experience.

Addendum: I got to try plenty of this beer this weekend, and it was magical. Absolutely my favorite beer I've made so far. Great recipe, the Simcoe and the Amarillo really do wonders for each other. Luckily, this batch won't last long enough for the aromas to start to dissipate. Bravo, Dude.

Brewed this today and it was the worst brew day so far. Missed my mash temp and ended up mashing at 149 for about 75 minutes. Also, due to entering wrong information into a mash and sparge calculator, I ended up have a gallon too much of wort that I couldn't boil so I had to dump it. Ended up boiling almost seven gallons of wort down to 5.5 and pitched S-05. OG was only ~1.042. Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens. Can't wait to ACTUALLY brew this. :mad:

Coupleathree said:
Brewed this today and it was the worst brew day so far. Missed my mash temp and ended up mashing at 149 for about 75 minutes. Also, due to entering wrong information into a mash and sparge calculator, I ended up have a gallon too much of wort that I couldn't boil so I had to dump it. Ended up boiling almost seven gallons of wort down to 5.5 and pitched S-05. OG was only ~1.042. Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens. Can't wait to ACTUALLY brew this. :mad:

Since you mashed low, it'll attenuate well, so it may work out just fine, if there is enough alcohol to support the hops. I sometimes adjust boil hops a tad if I miss target O.G., which is another strategy.

Since you mashed low, it'll attenuate well, so it may work out just fine, if there is enough alcohol to support the hops. I sometimes adjust boil hops a tad if I miss target O.G., which is another strategy.

Sure, because what happens is that your GU/BU ratio is off. Usually you'll want to lower your bittering addition to match. However, I brewed an accidental "too bitter" version of this, and it was still tremendous. (I put the 20 minute addition in at 60.)

I'm not too worried about it. Just needed a place to vent! Tasted the wort sample and it was good, so I'm sure it will be a good beer. Just frustrated over my own mistakes, but what are you going to do? It's still going to be beer!:mug:

This recipe has been my "to brew" list for over a year. I brewed this 3 weeks ago. Been on gas for a week. It is beyond excellent.

Due to time constraints, I skipped dry hopping. Plenty of hop aroma and flavor as is, I'm sure its better with the dry hop. Great beer.

This recipe has been my "to brew" list for over a year. I brewed this 3 weeks ago. Been on gas for a week. It is beyond excellent.

Due to time constraints, I skipped dry hopping. Plenty of hop aroma and flavor as is, I'm sure its better with the dry hop. Great beer.

After a few more pints, you'll be convinced that you need to make it again, with the dry hop as well. It's like magic.

I made a variation of this brew yesterday which I'd like to present to some people in March. How long after bottling does this beer usually peak in flavor? Is it best when the dry hops are really fresh, or do they need a month to settle down?
If it's better when it's really fresh, I'll let it condition a little longer in secondary before adding the dry hops so that I can push it off until closer to the date when it would be consumed.

I made a 5 gallon batch three weeks ago following the recipe closely. I started with OG 1.064 and fermented at 2 weeks to FG 1.012. One week with dry hops and bottled yesterday. I agree with the earlier comment...The Amarillo and Simcoe are magical. My only regrets are making only 5 gals!

Thought I'd check in after quite a long time...it's really cool to see everyone still brewing this. I still brew it once every few months, and I don't budge from that original recipe. My only issue is not having Amarillo leaf hops. I think pellets are a bit more harsh and make this more of an IPA than a pale ale in bitterness.

I'm curious if anyone has tried using the White Labs (WLP090) San Diego Super Strain with this recipe?

Not with this particular recipe, but I have used it in an IPA recipe I made that was based loosely on this recipe. It didn't really dry out more than US-05 would, but for some reason the WLP090 mutes the hops so may be a good solution for you using Amarillo pellets instead of leaf.

I noticed the beer I made encountered a significant decrease is hop aroma after just a few weeks in the bottle. This has happened to me twice now rendering an average beer from what was originally exceptional. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong... I dry hopped in the primary (6 gal bucket) for a week, following a 2 week fermentation. Should I have transferred to a glass secondary with less headroom for dryhop? For the record I notice no off flavors (no acetaldehyde or diacetyl).

Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm really excited to try this recipe out. However, I'm a little worried by the "help" my LHBS offered today. Not thinking about toasting the 2 row myself, i asked them for a suitable replacement, and they gave me 2 pounds of amber malt instead.

After reading up on amber malt a bit, I feel like 2 lbs may be way too much. Any way to rectify this? They mixed in all the grains when I purchased.

Sent from my spaceship in low orbit.

That is a weird replacement recommendation. If you can't roast it yourself go for marris otter or great west. These are pale malts that are a bit more roasted and more flavorful than regular 2-row. Don't worry, your beer will turn out great. Fermentation is key here, i would recommend fermenting in the lower range so you have clean flavor. Cheers

Yeah I'm really bummed that my newbie uncertainty took over at the shop. Assuming the huge amount of amber doesn't kill the recipe for me, I'll be excited to make this recipe again with the correct ingredients.

Yeah I'm really bummed that my newbie uncertainty took over at the shop. Assuming the huge amount of amber doesn't kill the recipe for me, I'll be excited to make this recipe again with the correct ingredients.

I'm sure it'll still taste good. Save a bottle of each and see which you prefer!

Nope. Had to use Simcoe pellets though. Brew day went great.
Once again, can't wait for about 6 weeks from now. Tapping this the day SwAMi75 gets here for a visit.

MAN I LOVE THIS BEER! I need to brew it again like ASAP! Toasting the Pale Malt is the high light of the process of this beer for me. You really get to feel like you MADE and I really mean hands deep in it kind of MADE this beer!

Cheers
Jay

Many are saying that this has a very prominent grapefruit taste. Is that from the Simcoe or Amarillo? I have 3oz of Amarillo to use up and this fits the bill, but grapefruit isn't what I'm looking for. I have seen others posts say they've used Summit in place of Simcoe. If Simcoe is the source of the grapefruit taste would citra or summit make this more orange like citrus than grapefruit?

I think I'm going to run with the OP recipe, unless it's been modified somewhere in the post, I've been through about half of the complete post. I think I'm going to use victory instead of toasting the malt, I'm still looking through the post to see what seems to be a good amount to do this swap.

From what I've been reading Amarillo gives more orange/tangerine and maybe some lemon with grapefruit in the background. Guess we'll find out :)

Back