Speeding up fermentation with Acid? Sound possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bathtub_Gin

Reaction score
I'm new to the whole 'scene' but one thing I found out is that fermenting most fruits into Wine takes weeks, usually months until their even considered 'ready'.

I'm thinking it has something to do with complex Fructose molecules that need to be breaken down. For instance, fermenting white, table Sugar (Sucrose) only takes about a week.

------------------------------------------------------

Here is what I'm thinking:
-When making the mash, you first breakdown the fruits with a relatively strong acid, citric acid maybe?
-And to prevent the acid from poisoining the Yeast, you do a Acid-Base reaction with a Base like Baking soda
-Then add your Yeast, nutrients, etc. and begin fermentation like normal

Is this possible or is it just too far out there :drunk:

Fruit doesn't have complex sugars, and wine yeast has no trouble with fructose. It doesn't take long to ferment- usually less than 5 days total to ferment out.

I'm new to the whole 'scene' but one thing I found out is that fermenting most fruits into Wine takes weeks, usually months until their even considered 'ready'.

I'm thinking it has something to do with complex Fructose molecules that need to be breaken down. For instance, fermenting white, table Sugar (Sucrose) only takes about a week.

------------------------------------------------------

Here is what I'm thinking:
-When making the mash, you first breakdown the fruits with a relatively strong acid, citric acid maybe?
-And to prevent the acid from poisoining the Yeast, you do a Acid-Base reaction with a Base like Baking soda
-Then add your Yeast, nutrients, etc. and begin fermentation like normal

Is this possible or is it just too far out there :drunk:

Opposite, fructose is a monosaccharide, simple sugar....sucrose is a disaccharide...now complex.

Yeast plows through fructose far faster than sucrose. Yeast also likes a little acid but not to much.

Why do they say you need to let it sit for months then even if doing homebrew? Is it just about a week to totally ferment and anything else is just for flavor?

"Young" flavors.

If you like drinking rocket fuel, drink it young. Otherwise it needs time for the flavors to smooth and mellow.

Why do they say you need to let it sit for months then even if doing homebrew? Is it just about a week to totally ferment and anything else is just for flavor?

Time to let the dissolved co2 escape and the flavours to blend and mellow...just makes a better product.

Back