Carbonation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackeydsloth

Reaction score
Hello there I hope someone can help me out. I am on my 3rd batch extract. I bottled the day before Thanksgiving and threw a sixer in the fridge on wed. Yesterday when I tried 2 there was very little carbonation and tonight I had 2 from the same batch and same sixer that had a lot of carbonation. now I just opened my third tonight and there is no carbonation. anyone that can tell me what I did wrong or why this happened is greatly appreciated. BTW I brewed Benet Brown this.

Thank you kindly

Probably your priming sugar was unevenly mixed.

Either.. ^this^

Or... your bottles aren't subjected to equal temps. The bottles in the middle of a box might not get as warm as the bottles on the outside of the box. This will cause differences in carbonation. Give tham all a couple more weeks, and then sample again....

are you adding the priming sugar to your bottling bucket or each individual bottle?
Are you dissolving the sugar into "simple syrup" before adding it, or just dumping in cold?

Okay thank both of you. This was the first time I've run across this problem and makes sense. I forgot to add priming sugar before I added to bottling bucket. thought I was ok but unfortunately not. Again thak you

I forgot to add priming sugar before I added to bottling bucket. thought I was ok but unfortunately not.

Just to be clear, I didn't say add the sugar to the carboy before racking into the bottling bucket.
Make a hot water/sugar solution, allow to cool covered(bacteria loves sugar!), add to bottling bucket, transfer beer into bottling bucket, bottle beer. Is this what you have been doing?

Sorry conneryis007 no my prior 2 batches I have been heating up about 16 oz water and priming sugar pouring into bottling bucket and then adding beer. this time I forgot before adding beer to add priming sugar but mistill mixed in and let sit for about an hour. but must not have mixed it enough.

Got it!

My guess is letting it sit for an hour actually gave it enough time for some of the sugars to separate, giving you an uneven carbonation.

Or it could be an infection in those bottles (are you cleaning AND sanitizing your bottles) that had tons of carbonation and the rest just need more time to carb.

I did cover with plastic wrap if that accounts for anything. Yes cleaning and sanitizing everything coming in contact. I hope it is just needing some more time. the 2 I opened tonight did have alot of carbonation,. and the third was very minimal pretty flat. I was planning on waiting on another week to try a couple more. hoping that might help.

If you added your priming sugar after you racked to the bottle bucket, then your beer was very likely unevenly primed. That could be dangerous. Some bottles might have way too much sugar, while others might not have enough. If I were you I would put those bottles in a Rubbermaid container in case some of the bottles start to blow. Otherwise you can put them all in the fridge and just live with the fact that some will be under carbed and some will be over (or correctly)carbed....

I want to thank everyone for any help you've given. I think taking out of my closet is a good idea don't want to have to call in sick because my work clothes smell good to me and not others. I will put in fridge thanks

Latest posts

Back