Paint Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgaepi

Brewer In Need Of Guidance
Reaction score
Any issues in using a Home Depot paint bucket for things like milling grains? Obviously not fermenting but any issues with it for other basic needs? Just trying to save a few bucks after coughing up cash for a mill.

They have white food grade plastic buckets. Not sure about the logo'd orange ones, but the short period of time that milled grains will spend in there really shouldn't be an issue.

i used their white/clearish "food grade" buckets to store bulk grains and for milled grains. i use them with the black screw top lids, they arent cheap but they work great and give a better seal than a standard bucket lid

Any issues in using a Home Depot paint bucket for things like milling grains? Obviously not fermenting but any issues with it for other basic needs? Just trying to save a few bucks after coughing up cash for a mill.

I don't see any problem with it, as long as it's clean and sanitized (if using post-boil). I've used a food-grade 5 gallon bucket for aerating the post-boil wort back and forth with the fermenter, but I've entertained even using a Home Depot bucket for that, or for storing Star San. As long as it's not holding beer for weeks on end, I'm guessing it's safe to use.

I commonly use a HD orange bucket for milling grains, never had any trouble. Of course, the grains typically get no more exposure than, say, an hour or two tops. I could see it being an issue for liquids or other stuff that would potentially chemically react with the walls, or even long term storage of dry goods, but I can't imagine grains having an issue in such a short period of time. Now, if I were storing for a week or more, I might think twice.

I bought my 5 gallon food grade bucket at Walmart for $3.50 I saw them advertised at Homedepot for about 4 bucks but I just happened to be in walmart and there they were. I use it for sanitizing and equipment storage.

i used their white/clearish "food grade" buckets to store bulk grains and for milled grains. i use them with the black screw top lids, they arent cheap but they work great and give a better seal than a standard bucket lid

I like the Gamma Seal lids for dry storage. For wet stuff, the adapter ring gets stuff up underneath it on the inside...I end up using cleanroom tape to mask over it.

Back