Feisty Farmhand Hoppy Saison on WLP585

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerandloathinginaustin

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP585 Belgian Saison III
Yeast Starter
Yes-650ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Big fruit nose w/saison funk, a little sour/tangy finish
I entered this in an upcoming contest on 10/20 & it has a few fans so I thought I'd post it.

UPDATE: This beer was split into 2 batches (one with a starter & one a direct pitch of the vial). I'm proud to report the starter side placed 2nd & the vial side placed 3rd (in Belgian & French Ale) in the recent Las Vegas SNAFU Memorial Competition.

Grain Bill:

14lb German Pils
2.25lb Franco-Belges Light Munich
1.5lb White Wheat
1.25lb Table sugar @5min left in boil

BIAB
Mash Schedule: 146 for 40min, then 154 for 25min
Mash out at 170 for 15min

Hop Schedule:

60m - 0.5oz Apollo 18AA
10m - 1.5oz Amarillo 9.2AA
0m - 1.5oz Columbus 15.2AA
Dry Hops - 4oz Nelson Sauvin for 22 days, 2oz Columbus + 1.2oz Riwaka for 12 days

Water was all filtered Vegas tap with 1gal RO. Added 1/2 teaspoon of Gypsum before boil.

You don't mess around with dry hopping! Any changes you'd make after receiving your score sheets?

Nothing that I can think of. The judges gave the side with a starter 40 & 42 and 2 different judges gave the side without a starter 34 & 35. The only notes on improvement were there might've been a little alcohol heat & I didn't get the labels removed from the bottles well enough. lol

Back