I hate flu shots!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
That time of year again and my wife insists her old man get a shot, so I did. Although I'm quite aware that the shot doesn't give you the flu, my immune system has another "opinion" and went to battle stations. And, of course, my arm is sore. Flu shots remind me of my Navy days, they always gave the shots on a Friday, so any reaction was over by Monday.

I think my wife is jealous because in 2 1/2 years, I haven't really been sick once.

Last year was the first year that I didn't get a flu shot. I'm working less and less with sick people, so I felt like skipping it was fine. I'm skipping it this year, too, I think. (I get my flu shots for free at work).

In my Army days, I got my shots three times in five months, even though I argued that I already had them!

I joined in July, and they gave us a whole bunch of shots. . In October, they told me I needed my shots. I protested, saying, "I just got them!" Well, they had no record, so I got them again (including the smallpox vaccine, for the third time. :drunk:).

In December, I got orders for Germany, and so they told me I needed my shots. Again, there was no record of ever having them, so I got them again. That was my fourth smallpox vaccine in my lifetime.

I will never get smallpox, I'll tell you that!

2 years ago I took my then 11 yo daughter to get her shot. They gave the option of a needle or an oral dose. I chose the needle for her so she could get used to getting shots. She was a small kid and when they stuck that needle in her arm I thought it was going to go all the way through!

It wasn't too bad for her, but afterwards she saw some friends there and they told her they only had to swallow a pill or something. You should have seen the look she gave me!

I've never gotten the flu shot, and haven't had the flu in over a decade. On the flip side, I have way too many friends that either get the immune response to the flu, or get the full-on flu FROM the shot.

I belong to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" crowd. Especially for something that I'll naturally get over in a week or so on my own if I do happen to get sick.

I've never gotten the flu shot, and haven't had the flu in over a decade. On the flip side, I have way too many friends that either get the immune response to the flu, or get the full-on flu FROM the shot.

On the flip-flip side I know plenty of people who get the flu because they didn't get the shot.

I belong to the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" crowd. Especially for something that I'll naturally get over in a week or so on my own if I do happen to get sick.

I'm all for ain't-broke-don't-fix, but when I only have a fixed amount of PTO time every year, I'm not to keen on blowing a week of it laid up on my back feeling like s*it. That shot is pretty cheap insurance!

Every year I get the flu shot and it's the same damned thing.

I get the flu.

And what do they say? "Oh, you must have gotten the strain that the CDC didn't recommend we innoculate for"

Ahh, yeah, that helps.

Now you have the new gov't tracking chip in your system just like they want. Haha just kidding. I hope.

I don't know, I'm not completely sold on the effectiveness of the flu shot. For any given person for any given year there can be
Got the flu shot/got the flu
Got the flu shot/didn't get the flu
Didn't get the flu shot/didn't get the flu
Didn't get the flu shot/did get the flu

So sure it's nice to say 'got the flu shot didn't get the flu' but that doesn't mean you would have gotten the flu anyway even if you didn't get the shot.

Or 'got the flu, man wish I'd have gotten the flu shot', but that doesn't mean you wouldn't have gotten the flu if you did get the flu shot. And they're definitely not without risk.

On the flip-flip side I know plenty of people who get the flu because they didn't get the shot.

I'm all for ain't-broke-don't-fix, but when I only have a fixed amount of PTO time every year, I'm not to keen on blowing a week of it laid up on my back feeling like s*it. That shot is pretty cheap insurance!
And I'd wager there's nearly as many, like GilaMinumBeer, that get the flu even though they had the shot.

I believe they decide which strain(s) to innoculate against based on what starts showing up in Asia first (I could be wrong or mis-remembering). Then, they assume the same strain will show up in the US. Last year or the year before, they guessed wrong and millions of people got a worthless shot.

And when "insurance" offers only a 50-70% chance of working when they guess RIGHT, and lower yet when they guess wrong.. I don't call that insurance. I call it a gamble.

The big problem is the vaccine takes over 6 months to make, so they are just guessing about the strains. There's a new method for growing the vaccine that takes less than 2 weeks, but it is still in the approval cycle. Once that's available, the shots can be made after the first people get sick.

There's no evidence that the flu shot has ever even worked. You are right in that they just guess which strains to protect against, and there's no way of predicting. It's basically a waste of time, money, and a slight pain in the arm, and who knows what else comes of it. I wouldn't want a bunch of dead flu cells injected into my body.

It's about as effective at preventing the flu as a the occassional rye IPA, and not nearly as tasty.

Skip it, people!

And I'd wager there's nearly as many, like GilaMinumBeer, that get the flu even though they had the shot.

Its difficult to tell if these people get the flu virus they were inoculated for, or one that the vaccine doesn't provide protection for, or maybe they didn't even have a flu virus in the first place (there is a reason why everything is described as "flu-like symptoms"!)

I believe they decide which strain(s) to innoculate against based on what starts showing up in Asia first (I could be wrong or mis-remembering). Then, they assume the same strain will show up in the US. Last year or the year before, they guessed wrong and millions of people got a worthless shot.

2007....otherwise is been good pick for 20 of the 23 years the flu vaccine has been offered....

And when "insurance" offers only a 50-70% chance of working when they guess RIGHT, and lower yet when they guess wrong.. I don't call that insurance. I call it a gamble.

So to expand on your gambling idea: you wouldn't take a gamble that you had 50-70% chance of winning? When losing could mean being down-n'-out for 3-4 days, possible hospitalization and death?

The thing with the flu is that for many people, it's a pretty bothersome respiratory illness for a week or so, and that's it. Fever, coughing, chills, and that's about all. It's miserable, that's for sure.

But for immune-compromised individuals, the flu is deadly. That's why it's recommended for vulnerable people, including the elderly.

Pneumonia is a frequent complication, and for people with asthma (like me), it can mean a hospital stay.

I've had the flu only once, but I had H1N1 (Swine flu). I thought I was going to die. But I'm pretty healthy (asthma is totally controlled) and recovered just fine. I gained back the weight I lost really quick, as a matter of fact!

Grantman1 said:
There's no evidence that the flu shot has ever even worked. You are right in that they just guess which strains to protect against, and there's no way of predicting. It's basically a waste of time, money, and a slight pain in the arm, and who knows what else comes of it. I wouldn't want a bunch of dead flu cells injected into my body.

It's about as effective at preventing the flu as a the occassional rye IPA, and not nearly as tasty.

Skip it, people!

If you don't want to take the shot that's fine, but most if your post is absolutely wrong. There is absolute evidence it does work!

I read a study recently that found that the flu vaccine only prevented type A or B flu in less than 2 out of 100 adults. Consider that, and the fact that the CDC says that no more than 20% of flu-like illnesses are actually the flu.

The other part to think about is what is never mentioned when it comes to vaccines. Aside from the vaccine itself, every vaccination injection also includes chemicals that irritate your immune system, allowing it to react to the vaccine. These chemicals include aluminum and mercury.

So anyway, I don't care if anyone else wants to get a flu shot, but I'd rather take my chances than have some of that stuff flowing through my veins. I like to pick my poisons, and that's not one of them!

It's interesting how polarized people are on the flu shot (and vaccines). I've been in similar threads on other forums and most people who post seem to be strongly in favor of one direction or the other. Well I suppose that's not uncommon for any thread though.

I read a study recently that found that the flu vaccine only prevented type A or B flu in less than 2 out of 100 adults. Consider that, and the fact that the CDC says that no more than 20% of flu-like illnesses are actually the flu.

Source please.

The other part to think about is what is never mentioned when it comes to vaccines. Aside from the vaccine itself, every vaccination injection also includes chemicals that irritate your immune system, allowing it to react to the vaccine. These chemicals include aluminum and mercury.

And that right there is the mark of a true anti-vaccine whackaloon...pinning all of the ails of the world on ingredients that haven't been in vaccines for 20 years, yet they somehow continue to poison children.

Tell Jennifer McCarthy I said hi.

These chemicals include aluminum and mercury.
And that right there is the mark of a true anti-vaccine whackaloon...pinning all of the ails of the world on ingredients that haven't been in vaccines for 20 years, yet they somehow continue to poison children.

Well I don't see why you would claim that, when right on the CDC's own website they list as of 2009 the statement "Aluminum is present in several vaccines to improve the immune response."

And "Thimerosal is a mercury-containing preservative that is added to vials of vaccine that contain more than one dose to prevent contamination and growth of potentially harmful bacteria."

Not sure who in this thread mentioned 'pailing the ails of the world' and 'somehow continue to poison children' because that is the first mention of those terms I see in this thread. Interesting.

The thing with the flu is that for many people, it's a pretty bothersome respiratory illness for a week or so, and that's it. Fever, coughing, chills, and that's about all. It's miserable, that's for sure.

But for immune-compromised individuals, the flu is deadly. That's why it's recommended for vulnerable people, including the elderly.

Pneumonia is a frequent complication, and for people with asthma (like me), it can mean a hospital stay.

I've had the flu only once, but I had H1N1 (Swine flu). I thought I was going to die. But I'm pretty healthy (asthma is totally controlled) and recovered just fine. I gained back the weight I lost really quick, as a matter of fact!

She's going to infect us all!

The rest of you shooting gallery needle junkies are spreading nanobot laced spittle all over this thread.

Yes, the new tracking chips are not detectable by instruments accessible by civilians ... but ... they're in there. haha just kiddding.

Best way to prevent the flu, hands down, is to take vitamin D supplements year round. Keep your blood level above 40 ng/ml and you will rarely get sick.

I've never had the flu shot in my life, and I've also never had the flu that I'm aware of. Never even had a cold in the last few years.

Ever wonder why we don't get colds or the flu in the summer? Short answer: sunlight. In tropical climates, the flu season is monsoon season (no sun).

Interesting, and would like to add ... the taste of fermented cod liver oil is amazing. It's like there's 1000 different tastes in there that you perceive one at a time, I love it. I don't know, I used to get sick at least a few times per year. After adopting the secrets of healthy diets in my sig some years back I have not gotten sick even once. At least not perceptibly, there have been some times I felt slightly run down but the feeling was really strange and not like the traditional 'sick' feelings I had. Now yes that is completely 'anecdotal' because I do not know if I would have gotten sick otherwise.

Well I don't see why you would claim that, when right on the CDC's own website they list as of 2009 the statement "Aluminum is present in several vaccines to improve the immune response."

And "Thimerosal is a mercury-containing preservative that is added to vials of vaccine that contain more than one dose to prevent contamination and growth of potentially harmful bacteria."

Not sure who in this thread mentioned 'pailing the ails of the world' and 'somehow continue to poison children' because that is the first mention of those terms I see in this thread. Interesting.

Yep. It's always interesting to see how people are quick to call others quacks, conspiracy theorists, whackaloons (whatever that means), etc, every time they hear something they either disagree with or don't want to believe.

And geez, I didn't say anything about sick children or world problems. I'm not telling you that if you eat celery and bark at the moon, you'll cure diabetes. I was just saying I didn't want one of the world's most toxic substances--mercury--pumping through my veins. I don't think that's all that outrageous.

But anyway, to the OP, I have had a flu shot years ago and yes, it does suck more than other shots for some reason, so I hear ya.

I've always been intrigued by the OPV Aids hypothesis. Essentially, polio research in africa in the 50's introduces the AIDs virus to the human population. I read a Rolling Stone article about this a long time ago that stuck with me. I've always distrusted artificial intrusion into my own biology, and more so after that article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OPV_AIDS_hypothesis

I have never had a flu shot, and as far as I remember never had the flu. I also don't get colds. I'm sure, though, this has much more to do with my hermit-like lifestyle, rather than some sort of superior antibodies.

Yooper said:

Actually, the flu causes a pretty intense inflammatory response in your body, and even decades from now your body will still show signs of it and can be negatively affected by any bouts you may have had even in your youth. This is why the flu shot has been demonstrated to improve long-term cardiovascular health and even lifespan.

And FWIW, the vast majority of people who claim to have the flu at any given time actually have a cold (rhinovirus, NOT influenza). It's impossible to distinguish by the symptoms. Which makes anecdotal evidence even more unreliable.

Actually, the flu causes a pretty intense inflammatory response in your body, and even decades from now your body will still been negatively affected by a flu and still show signs. This is why the flu shot has been demonstrated to improve long-term cardiovascular health and even lifespan.

Hm, that is interesting, but I'm not sure I'm following A -> B?

I'm taking A to be "the flu causes a pretty intense inflammatory response in your body, and even decades from now your body will still been negatively affected by a flu and still show signs."

And B to be "the flu shot has been demonstrated to improve long-term cardiovascular health and even lifespan."

sudsmcgee said:
Ever wonder why we don't get colds or the flu in the summer? Short answer: sunlight. In tropical climates, the flu season is monsoon season (no sun).

That's not even close to true. And what makes you say that there is no sun during monsoon season? That's traditionally when the sun is at its peak for the area.

But people do certainly get colds in the summer. Many do. And while there's the tiniest bit of merit to your claims, it's only in that people with low vitamin D are more susceptible.

But yes, people can and do get colds at any time of the year. It is a virus, and infection with the virus will (usually) result in symptoms. There certainly is such a thing as flu season, and most of it actually is, in a way, because aren't getting much sun. But more accurately, it's because people are staying indoors more - the drier air and the increase in the amount of time that people spend in close proximity together are perfect circumstances for this virus to thrive and spread.

The drop in vitamin D MIGHT make people more susceptible to it, but even then, it's a relatively small effect compared to the above. And just about anyone living at a latitude that has snow for even a month most years should be supplementing anyways. However, good humidifiers and proper sanitation would have a far greater impact. Unfortunately, the former is really only in your control at home (and maybe at work), and with the biggest factor of all - proper sanitary practices - you only have control over yourself, which can be rendered moot by a family member or coworker with more lax standards.

porcupine73 said:
Hm, that is interesting, but I'm not sure I'm following A -> B?

I'm taking A to be "the flu causes a pretty intense inflammatory response in your body, and even decades from now your body will still been negatively affected by a flu and still show signs."

And B to be "the flu shot has been demonstrated to improve long-term cardiovascular health and even lifespan."

"This is why" may have been a poor choice of words. Both A and B have been demonstrated independently. The connection is that (from what I've seen from several study authors), scientists find "A" to be the best explanation. And they're pretty certain it plays at least a partial role, in any case.

In case you still don't see how they can be connected... the long-term (inflammatory) damage, often accumulated over the course of numerous influenza infections, is seen as affecting the cardiovascular system most significantly over the long term (and I'm sure you can see how this might have an effect on life expectancy). By preventing cases of the flu, the flu shot is directly responsible for preventing this damage. Of course, this is all on an epidemiological scale... to say whether it has helped any *particular* person is impossible, and can only be demonstrated statistically.

They make a nasal spray flu shot. It's available to the military but I don't know about the general public. But it probaly has anthrax or some crazy crap in it!

That's not even close to true. And what makes you say that there is no sun during monsoon season? That's traditionally when the sun is at its peak for the area.

But people do certainly get colds in the summer. Many do. And while there's the tiniest bit of merit to your claims, it's only in that people with low vitamin D are more susceptible.

But yes, people can and do get colds at any time of the year. It is a virus, and infection with the virus will (usually) result in symptoms. There certainly is such a thing as flu season, and most of it actually is, in a way, because aren't getting much sun. But more accurately, it's because people are staying indoors more - the drier air and the increase in the amount of time that people spend in close proximity together are perfect circumstances for this virus to thrive and spread.

The drop in vitamin D MIGHT make people more susceptible to it, but even then, it's a relatively small effect compared to the above. And just about anyone living at a latitude that has snow for even a month most years should be supplementing anyways. However, good humidifiers and proper sanitation would have a far greater impact. Unfortunately, the former is really only in your control at home (and maybe at work), and with the biggest factor of all - proper sanitary practices - you only have control over yourself, which can be rendered moot by a family member or coworker with more lax standards.

Except that it's very close to true for most people (but not all, I'll admit), and overall the data supports it. Vitamin D is not technically a vitamin, it's a secosteroid hormone that plays a very important role in regulating the innate immune system through the upregulation of antimicrobial peptides. To state that vitamin D has a relatively small effect on immune function is to admit that one really doesn't don't know much about the function of vitamin D in the body, particularly the lungs.

Researchers have known for nearly a century that low vitamin D increases susceptibility to to tuberculosis, and that vitamin D repletion through sunlight or UVB exposure can be clinically helpful for many people with the disease.

Same thing goes for MS, psoriasis and certain types of asthma. Newer data suggests that vitamin D might even play a role in cancer progression, and as we speak, pilot studies are ongoing to determine what impact vitamin D may have on cancer progression.

Your statement that being indoors in dry air has some truth to it, but it doesn't account for the flu season in tropical humid climates where people live outside with no doors or windows yet still get the flu predominantly at the time of the year where there is less sun.

Is vitamin D a cure all for the flu? No, of course not, but neither is the flu shot. Will it help most people to increase their immune function? Absolutely.

sudsmcgee said:
Is vitamin D a cure all for the flu? No, of course not, but neither is the flu shot. Will it help most people to increase their immune function? Absolutely.

Emjay? Is that you?

sudsmcgee said:
Except that it's very close to true for most people (but not all, I'll admit), and overall the data supports it. Vitamin D is not technically a vitamin, it's a secosteroid hormone that plays a very important role in regulating the innate immune system through the upregulation of antimicrobial peptides. To state that vitamin D has a relatively small effect on immune function is to admit that one really doesn't don't know much about the function of vitamin D in the body, particularly the lungs.

Researchers have known for nearly a century that low vitamin D increases susceptibility to to tuberculosis, and that vitamin D repletion through sunlight or UVB exposure can be clinically helpful for many people with the disease.

Same thing goes for MS, psoriasis and certain types of asthma. Newer data suggests that vitamin D might even play a role in cancer progression, and as we speak, pilot studies are ongoing to determine what impact vitamin D may have on cancer progression.

Your statement that being indoors in dry air has some truth to it, but it doesn't account for the flu season in tropical humid climates where people live outside with no doors or windows yet still get the flu predominantly at the time of the year where there is less sun.

They're finding out a lot of what they thought about vitamin D has been overstated, but yes, it is important. I was speaking in a relative sense.

Hell, I even stressed the importance of supplementing vitamin D, for just about everyone in the US and Canada. Even spending a lot of time outside doesn't always solve it because the sun has to be at a specific angle, which gives a fairly small window of time for the reaction to occur, and even in the Northern US, there are months a time in the winter where the sun never reaches that angle at all. So I strongly advocate BOTH getting the flu shot, and supplementing with several thousand IU of vitamin D daily (though it'd be best to check your blood levels first). Both practices have very positive effects.

I guess my issue with your "out of the sun" argument was just that it sounded a bit too much like the myth that people get a cold or flu from merely being cold. The only thing I'd have to disagree with - and this is quibbling - is that vitamin D is indeed a vitamin. Functioning as a hormone as well does not preclude that.

No shots for me. I dont trust the long term effects or any of the pharmaceutical companies. It's only a matter of time before the Bayer company ships out HIV tainted medicine again. The way I see it, it's a business, their in it for money not our health.

Interesting. Yes I was reading elsewhere that Bayer and others funded medical research at concentration camps. Not that it's specifically related to this thread but I always think of it when I see their aspirin commercials.

Every year I was forced by my parents to get a flu shot -- in my high school years -- within a couple days I felt miserable. I don't know what the relationship is but I felt sick 100% of the times I had the shot. In the most recent 13 years, I have only had something worse than a bad cold a handful or two of times. One was mono and one was a sinus infection. Neither are helped by a flu shot. I even worked a few cubicles down from two people who contracted swine flu. I got nothing. I'll take my odds without the shot.

No shots for me. I dont trust the long term effects or any of the pharmaceutical companies. It's only a matter of time before the Bayer company ships out HIV tainted medicine again. The way I see it, it's a business, their in it for money not our health.

You are lucky that other people have no such qualms about it, as their immunity protects you indirectly (herd immunity).

But hey, a few more people around you start thinking like you and all of a sudden there is a measles outbreak in Key West. Weird how that happens.

FYI....HIV virus cannot survive more than a few seconds outside the human body.

You are lucky that other people have no such qualms about it, as their immunity protects you indirectly (herd immunity).

But hey, a few more people around you start thinking like you and all of a sudden there is a measles outbreak in Key West. Weird how that happens.

FYI....HIV virus cannot survive more than a few seconds outside the human body.

Nothing wrong with questioning a company. These pharm companies are for-profit entities. I am as skeptical toward them as anyone else who is trying to sell me something. Sure, they might make comforting commercials and have doctors pushing their products, but their ultimate goal, like any company, is to make a profit. And no, it's not a conspiracy theory, it's just business.

Enjoy your mercury sandwich if you'd like, but I'd rather risk 3-4 days of being uncomfortable than have one of the most toxic substances known to man injected into my bloodstream.

Grantman1 said:
Enjoy your mercury sandwich if you'd like, but I'd rather risk 3-4 days of being uncomfortable than have one of the most toxic substances known to man injected into my bloodstream.
If you go to an actual doctor and not one of those drive through flu shot clinics you will often times get a single usage flu shot which doesn't contain Thimerosal. Ask if you care.. As far as mercury, eat seafood? I've only had one flu shot in my life and it didn't seem to have an effect and my body didn't really dig it so I don't take them.

I've found that eating well, taking a food derived multi, and trying to maintain a positive mental attitude has kept me well more than any other thing.

Back