Dubbel.....NO 120?????????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
The 2 or 3 Dubbels I have had commercially, all had the raisinny deliciousness of some crystal or other 120ish malt.

Many recipes do NOT have anything over 30L or so.

Is Dubbel just a vague descriptor for a strong beer?

Why do recipes vary so much?

The Dark Malt in Dubbels is from Munich and "special B" not from C-120 which is a Carmel malt.

Dubbel = Double = generic term for roughly double the ABV of a typical Begian recipe.

Trippel = Triple = generic term for roughly triple the ABV of a typical Begian recipe.

You can even make Quads if you like the taste of gasoline.

the raisiny taste comes from special B and most accurate recipes should use belgian malts not crystal. I've had quite a few quads that tasted nothing like gasoline.

OOPS, lol, mine will have crystal 120.

Never been one to worry about authenticity too much. So special B and dark candy sugar have raisiny effects. Thanks!

Maybe I was wrong about the lovibond of special B, it must be 120ish to get that flavor.

Had a stout that tasted like rocket feul at first sip.

Turned out it just wasn't the smooth roasty stout I had envisioned, but rather the MOST strongly hopped stout (short of Double Arrogant Bastard) that I have ever tasted.

Just an unexpected flavor can taste like rocket fuel without fusels.

Nothing wrong with using C120 if you want. I think dark candi/candy syrup will best get you those dark fruit flavors. That is often used in dubbels for color, mouthfeel and flavor.

I've used it to create a dubbel that was basically pale malt and homemade dark candy sugar. It's very tasty with a good caramel flavor but not a lot of raisin. I didn't let the sugar get as dark to produce those flavors.

To get it really dark and get those good plum and raisin flavors takes some trial and error. It can easily get too hot and develop burnt flavor, which would probably be undesired.

Back